2011 iMac died in the middle of watching a DVD?

Reaction score
I was in the middle of watching a commercial movie DVD using DVD player on my old 2011 iMac when suddenly, the screen turned dark brown and it started going "pffft, pffft, pffft." Then the screen started changing colors to tan and then black, and then white. Then I noticed a message saying Mac OS X had crashed. I thought the DVD was defective. So I restarted and the startup screen showed these weird pink lines going down it (see attachment). Then I got the message that OS X had crashed again. I tried this repeatedly, including disconnecting the Mac from power for a minute or so. I tried holding down the left mouse button while restarting to eject the DVD. Nothing worked. So then I remembered I had an old TechTool Protogo thumb drive which I had created some time ago for troubleshooting purposes. I attached a wired Apple keyboard and held down the option key while restarting and the Mac did indeed give me the option to select the ProToGo drive, which I did. However, the screen went white for 10 to 20 minutes and nothing happened. So I'm thinking this old Mac is toast. Anything else I can try? Also, is there a way to get the DVD out? I don't see an eject hole like on the really old Macs.

Attachments

• IMG_4847.JPG
    IMG_4847.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 21

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.