2010 imac screen black

Reaction score
When I tried waking-up computer from sleep, I could hear power up, but the screen stayed black. This has happened before, but a restart solved the problem. This time no dice. I also tried unplugging everything and than re-starting. I also, re-set PRAM, and did a safe boot. Still nothing. Tried the flashlight, all black.
Right now I have an appointment with apple tomorrow. Anything else I can try before hand ?

mid-2010 imac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like it may be a hardware problem. Did you try to restart and boot to recovery? Restart and hold down your command and r keys at the same time. If you still get a black screen, that indicates a hardware problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tried the "boot to recovery", no go. Could this be a graphics card issue ? Or am I going to get lucky and its only a battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the reply. I tried the "boot to recovery", no go. Could this be a graphics card issue ? Or am I going to get lucky and its only a battery.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with a battery. If it were a laptop computer…a battery might play a larger role. But very little possibility it's a factor with an iMac/desktop computer.

Try shutting down the computer completely (not sleep). Then reboot the computer...and see if get the "happy mac" startup tone. If so…then try connecting an external monitor…and see if you get something with this setup.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
I have shut the computer down completely a few times, and I do get the "happy mac" start-up tone. I don't have an external monitor or the necessary cable to connect one. What would one use to connect a MacAir to the imac.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What would one use to connect a MacAir to the imac.

Can't do it this way if you want to see the iMac's possible video output…the MacBook air does not have a "video in" port.

The idea here is to see if the iMac's problem is just the iMac's display…or the iMac's graphics hardware/cable (the logic board). To narrow things down…we need to see if the iMac's video out is properly sending video to an external monitor. Without an external monitor…we cannot test this.

All I can suggest is…maybe you can borrow an external monitor from someone. You will probably need a cable & video adapter as well. If you don't have access to an external monitor to test with. Then you either need to visit an Apple store for them to diagnose…or use the iMac as a doorstop.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
I have an appointment tomorrow as I stated in my first post. We'll see what happens.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an appointment tomorrow as I stated in my first post. We'll see what happens.

Ok…good deal. Forgot about that.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
I need a new video card. Glad that was all it was. Thanks for the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I need a new video card. Glad that was all it was. Thanks for the help.

This is usually not a very trivial matter from a cost perspective…especially on an older computer.

So Apple said you needed a new video card (or that the video hardware was the problem). What was their solution…and what was the cost?

If the video hardware on a 2010 iMac is soldered onto the logic board…then you need a replacement logic board (which can be quite expensive). If the 2010 iMac has a separate removable video card…may times…replacements can be expensive as well.

Either way…usually not a trivial matter.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.