2008 MacMini to hdmi tv....

Reaction score
When I attach the mini to the tv with an hdmi cable I have no sound. How can I get sound to come out the tv speakers?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You need an audio cable going from the Mac-mini's audio out port to the TV's audio in port.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
When I attach the mini to the tv with an hdmi cable I have no sound. How can I get sound to come out the tv speakers?

Please provide specifics on your Mac Mini year & OS X installed, plus the brand/model of your TV - an HDMI cable carries both video & sound, so not sure why you are not getting sound? Is the HDMI cable a standard one (like the pic attached) or do you have another adapter entering the TV? Have you tried another HDMI cable? Have you looked into the settings on your computer & TV for establishing such a connection? Dave :)

0089974400371_500X500.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You might have to change the sound output. I've noticed that OS X doesn't always switch the audio output to HDMI when it's connected as such. Go to System Preferences > Sound > Output and change accordingly.

OP
G
Reaction score
Please provide specifics on your Mac Mini year & OS X installed, plus the brand/model of your TV - an HDMI cable carries both video & sound, so not sure why you are not getting sound? Is the HDMI cable a standard one (like the pic attached) or do you have another adapter entering the TV? Have you tried another HDMI cable? Have you looked into the settings on your computer & TV for establishing such a connection? Dave :)

Dave,

2008 Mini

OS 10.6.8

TV is a cheeep RCA (this might be the problem)

Here is the cable I am using: Amazon.com: AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable - 9.8 Feet (3 Meters): Electronics

OP
G
Reaction score
You might have to change the sound output. I've noticed that OS X doesn't always switch the audio output to HDMI when it's connected as such. Go to System Preferences > Sound > Output and change accordingly.

When I go to sound settings my only option is internal speakers...?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The problem is that you're using an HDMI to DVI cable which doesn't support audio. From the product page:
Other than not supporting audio, the HDMI to DVI adapter cable functions just like a high-speed HDMI cable, making it easy to enjoy serious gaming, home-theater entertainment, and more.
You'll need to setup audio separately. What other audio ports are available on your TV?

OP
G
Reaction score
The problem is that you're using an HDMI to DVI cable which doesn't support audio. From the product page:You'll need to setup audio separately. What other audio ports are available on your TV?

I guess I should learn to read the details....thanks for info.

Hmmm...are there any cables that do support sound? Most seem not to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I guess I should learn to read the details....thanks for info.

Hmmm...are there any cables that do support sound? Most seem not to.

Hi again - yep, I thought the issue would be your cable and/or TV - if your TV does not have any audio inputs, then there is not a solution; if present, then you could run audio from headphone jack of the Mini (if present - not sure?).

But, the best choice (at least in my mind & if you have the budget), is to buy a new HDTV - the smaller ones are relatively inexpensive these days, will provide you w/ a MUCH better image, and will have HDMI ports so you can use the type of cable shown in my post. Good luck! Dave :)

Reaction score
I can recommend a good solution for that old of a mini.

Because your mini doesn't support optical out that model doesn't you can use a headphone jack to headphone jack cable and use a external speaker and if you want something a little funky and sweet for your mac and really awesome sounding i recommend this speaker

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MYEEVA/?tag=macforums0e4-20

i have one i use it on my mac pro my mac mini when i need to and even my old g4 cube its nice sounding and cost affordable

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Every Intel Mac Mini has a combined digital/analog audio port and does indeed support optical output.

But, that doesn't help you. DVI does not output audio and I have not seen a DVI+optical audio to HDMI converter - primarily because it's pretty pointless sending a 5.1 audio signal to built-in TV speakers.

If your TV does not offer a separate audio input that works with at least one of your HDMI ports...
To get sound on the TV, you will need:
A converter similar to this one. (All such converters require a power cable.)

Connect DVI-I cable from mini to the converter - if what you already have is a DVD-D cable, I think that will work also.
Need a 3mm stereo mini-plug to RCA audio cable to the box...
And your HDMI cable.

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did not say "all" - only all "Intel" models. The original G4 (PPC) minis do not support optical out.

Even the first Intel "Core Solo" was equipped with a combined digital/analog headphone jack.
Whether they all still work on those older Intel models is another discussion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.