2007 MBP fans and temp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook black 2.2 GHz, 4Gb Ram - iPhone 4
i have a 2007 15"mbp, it runs good an doesn't seem to run hot. on average it stays around 100-115*F. i don't game or do any video editing.

when i'm in os x yosemite i use smc fan control o monitor the temps and fans, and those readings say pretty consistent. but whenever i use widows 7 via bootcamp, i use core temp and input remapper to monitor temps and the fans. when i'm in windows using those two programs, the temps bounce around a lot. but the laptop itself doesn't feel like its any hotter to the touch. i'm guessing it's just the program giving funny readings.

for example, right now all i'm doing it typing this post and its gone from 117 to 178 then 136 to 115 etc. i have the fans on 6000 rpm. it's sitting on my lap and i feel the bottom and there no physical feeling of a heat increase like it's displaying. is there a better program to monitor temps while in windows that is more accurate? it doesn't act this spastic while in os x.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The times that I ran Boot Camp - first on a MacBook running XP, and then later on with an iMac running Windows 7, I never found or came across an adequate temperature or fan monitoring program. There were several that claimed to work with Mac hardware but the readings were sporadic and not accurate. It's probably best not to even worry about it and don't run anything.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Best advice I can give - quit monitoring temps and get rid of any fan control apps you have.

I was an avid overclocker for many years. My first overclocked machine was the AMD 100 Mhz chip and had it overclocked up to 120 Mhz - a 25% speed bump - we were blazing it back then. I've never owned a Windows box that was not overclocked since that time. My box at the time I got my first Mac was a 3.4 Ghz P4 overclocked to just over 4 Ghz. Even my current Win HTPC box is overclocked.

The whole reason we began using those apps was to monitor what was happening while we were applying higher voltages & boosting speeds of our equipment to make sure we weren't burning up our motherboards, RAM, etc.

My first Mac, an '06 MBP, is still in use here and I can't even begin to tell you how much time it spent with the fans running at 6000 rpm and the temps still sitting at 100 C - that's 200+ F. That's just unheard of in overclocking circles - we'd have been freaking out, back into the BIOS and changing the voltage back down, tearing the box apart checking/replacing the fans and heat syncs, lapping the CPU again, etc.

While I have never recommended any of my friends or family monitor their temps, it took me 2 years to realize it was pointless monitoring the temp on a factory stock configuration - especially in a notebook.

Again, I'd say, get rid of those apps and just use your computer.

Last edited:
OP
ericg2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook black 2.2 GHz, 4Gb Ram - iPhone 4
thanks for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.