2006 macbook pro, new hard drive recommendation?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a MacBook pro from 2006. Its a 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Unfortunately a couple of years ago, i was re installing OSX and i didn't realise that the power wasnt connected, so unfortunately, the laptop ran out of battery half way through the install.

I can hear that the laptop powers on, but there is no activity on the monitor, no visible light etc. Laptop doesn't get to the chime sound.

As its an old model, and i have a new laptop (windows) I don't really want to trake it to a genius bar and have to pay a fortune.

I was thinking maybe i could try replace the hard drive? and then install osx onto it?

I have tried holding command alr r at start up with no luck.

Anyone have anyother ideas?

If someone recomendws buying a new hard drive to instal, could anyone send me a link of the correct one i would need to buy?

Also what would be the latest version of osx i could instal on this macbook? as i still have tiger.

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can hear that the laptop powers on, but there is no activity on the monitor, no visible light etc. Laptop doesn't get to the chime sound.

I was thinking maybe i could try replace the hard drive? and then install osx onto it?

Replacing the hard drive is not going to help with the display and no chime problems.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Replacing the hard drive is not going to help with the display and no chime problems.

- Nick

The display isn't broken.

lol. Obviously I wasn't asking if simply replacing the hard drive would fix the display.

I would imagine that since the laptop was re installing osx when it ran out of power, I am assuming it didn't manage to write enough information on the hard drive , thats why it cant boot, either that or the hard drive has failed.

That's why i was asking if replacing it could be an option.

Thanks for your input though..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If your MBP won't boot from the OS Install Disk you have more problems than a failed install or bad Hard Drive.

EDIT: As far as replacing the drive goes, not that difficult to do. I have the 2007 MBP and recently swapped in an SSD.
iFixit.com is a good source for DIY instructions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The display isn't broken.

lol. Obviously I wasn't asking if simply replacing the hard drive would fix the display.

I would imagine that since the laptop was re installing osx when it ran out of power, I am assuming it didn't manage to write enough information on the hard drive , thats why it cant boot, either that or the hard drive has failed.

That's why i was asking if replacing it could be an option.

Thanks for your input though..

You're not understanding me. Replacing the hard drive is not going to fix the display issue or the no chime issue. Your MacBook Pro could have NO HARD DRIVE in it...and when you turn it on...the display should still light up & the computer should still make make the startup chime.

What's the point of replacing the hard drive...if after you do this the display will still be dark...and you will still have no startup chime??

For all you know at this point...the current hard drive could still be good.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You're not understanding me. Replacing the hard drive is not going to fix the display issue or the no chime issue. Your MacBook Pro could have NO HARD DRIVE in it...and when you turn it on...the display should still light up & the computer should still make make the startup chime.

What's the point of replacing the hard drive...if after you do this the display will still be dark...and you will still have no startup chime??

For all you know at this point...the current hard drive could still be good.

- Nick

Spot on . . . Graphics could have died. Happened to my 2007 model and I believe the 2006s were included in that run of bad NVidia Chips.

EDIT: Might be worth checking to see if Apple will fix it for free . . . they did mine. Repair window may have officially closed, but never hurts to ask.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spot on . . . Graphics could have died. Happened to my 2007 model and I believe the 2006s were included in that run of bad NVidia Chips.

The display invertor or backlight could have gone bad as well...since the display on a 2006 MBP is pre-LED.

OP should probably connect an external display to the computer to test further. OP could also remove the current HD & test it in another computer. Either as an internal or an external in an enclosure.

- Nick

C

chas_m

A broken nine-year-old computer isn't worth the time it took to write the original post to fix, let alone any money or effort. Recycle it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.