2 Inch vertical bar down middle of Macbook screen

Reaction score
I own a 13' Macbook (just over 2 y/o) and have had no problems until last week. A 2 inch -or so- vertical line appears down the middle of my screen if I do not have it tilted at a certain angle, which, when writing an e-mail is frustrating to find. It has not been dropped, banged, etc., so to say the least, I am perplexed.

The bar starts off blue and green and turns to a translucent black. The characters behind the bar turn green once the bar turns black.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the vertical bar goes away when you tilt the screen a certain way that probably indicates a cabling problem up through the hinge area to the display itself. If your MacBook is covered by Apple care, make an appointment and have it looked at. If not, post back and we can go from there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, let's see what's available that you can try. Are you fairly handy with taking things apart and can follow directions? If you feel up to it, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up changing out the display on your model MacBook. The step by step instructions should prove helpful in figuring out which cable(s) might be getting pinched or dislodged up through the hinge.

If you decide to go that route, be real careful that you don't make things worse. Electronic components and cables are delicate and can break easily.

If don't feel up to it, take the machine to an authorized Apple repair or Apple store and get an estimate for repairs.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am fairly handy with taking things apart but I don't trust myself with such delicate components. I will probably just have to bring it in.

Reaction score
Macbook 13" Silver 2" Vertical Line

:Smirk:I have a Macbook 13" silver edition. I've had it for almost 3 years now. I have the same problem with a 2" vertical flickering line that goes and comes back when I tilt the screen. As time goes it stays longer. I did take it Genius Bar at the Apple Store in Chicago, the guy immediately said that the screen had to be replaced for $580 +. What an inconsiderate technician! Half the cost of the laptop? When all is probably wrong is the video cable? If I knew where to get the tools I would probably find a way to fix it myself. Thanks for the advise on iFixit. If you have any other suggestions on where to buy the parts etc. I would appreciate advise. How did you fix your problem finally?

Reaction score
Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion Wheelguy, but I need to be able to move around my home with my laptop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Taking the machine apart to get at the cables is the hard part. If you can follow the directions on ifixit, you may also be able to buy a video cable from them or from Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad. The folks at ifixit also sell the necessary tool kits that you might need to do the work.

Reaction score
@chscag I got the machine a part without a problem, I happened to have the tools for my PC, which worked on this, but I had no idea which the video cable was and I have no idea which would be the exact part. I will explore the ifixit site and see what I find. Thanks so much for your response. My screen is flickering with the 2" line and it is unebelievable that Apple would sell such poor quality products.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.