2 external monitors not working with Macbook Pro late 2011

Reaction score
Hello.

I bought a switcher today because I wanted to set up my 2 external monitors, so I can use them as extended desktops. The problem is that I can only see 1 monitor in the settings panel(Picture My Setup 2), which means that the 2 external monitors are showing the same window. I cannot use them as seperate extended desktops.

Does anybody knows why? Can it have something to do with that I am using VGA port instead of HDMI?

I hope somebody can help me here?
Best Regards
Mads

I just uploaded some pictures of my setup:

My Setup 1
My Setup 2
My Setup 3

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

What is the brand/model of the "switcher?" It may be that it does not appear to the Mac as two monitors, but just one, and that all the switcher does is duplicate the output. Maybe if you tell us about this switcher we can look up the specs to see if and how it can be put into two monitor mode.

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

What is the brand/model of the "switcher?" It may be that it does not appear to the Mac as two monitors, but just one, and that all the switcher does is duplicate the output. Maybe if you tell us about this switcher we can look up the specs to see if and how it can be put into two monitor mode.

Thank you a lot for your answer. Shoot I should have looked more careful into it, before I bought the switch.

I found the product description here:

VGA splitter

M

MacInWin

Yeah, it's only showing to the OS as ONE monitor, so that's why you get duplicates. Maybe you can take it back. I don't have a recommendation on what to get to replace it, but maybe someone with a dual VGA setup will chime in soon.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might want to check out one of these devices. One of them might get the job done for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.