• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

15" MBP Docking Stands?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hey Everyone,
I know I talked about recently the past few days about the Mac Pro and how I have been considering getting it. But we never know when they will update it.

So.... I considered another option, the Macbook Pro 15" Ret.. Upgrade it to the faster core and I would be very happy with it or what ever it gets upgraded to over the next few months to a year. I need a travel option as I iPad Mini isn't doing what I need and lets face it, not going to run FCPX.

SO here is the thing. I have a 32" monitor being shipped to me. Its a 2.5k display with %100 RGB accuracy for photo, cad and video work. Honestly its a 27" Mac display on steroids and just about the same price. Plus I have a few USB 3.0 MyBook drives for storage, crap load of stuff connected via USB2.0 and few bluetooth items.

So I was wondering if there were any docking stations for the MBP to help make connecting my devices. My display has two USB 3.0 and two additional USB 2.0 jacks built in. So if I can just find a stand, I should be able to plug in the USB jack and display port cables to the MBP and be ready to go. Then just unplug those when on the road..

What everyone else's thoughts? Also any Docking stations for the MBP?

Thanks,
Joe :|

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I work from home, entirely on my Mac these days (which connects to a virtual Win7 machine, hosted by my company's Citrix XenDesktop farm). Right now, I have my 15" MacBook Pro on a Rain Design mStand, sitting next to my company-supplied Lenovo 23" monitor. The Lenovo has a DisplayPort. I run dual-displays and this works fairly well, though I have often been tempted to find some kind of dock solution so that I can run two displays out of the Thunderbolt port.

I have already tried the CalTech Thunderbolt dock and while it worked OK, the sound quality was terrible and I had some glitchiness if I booted the MBP with the secondary display attached and powered on, so I returned it.

Today, I ordered the Elgato Thunderbolt Dock that just came out. I'm going to see how well that does. Ultimately, I'd like to get rid of the mStand, run the MBP in clamshell mode in something like a HengeDock and have it drive two 23" external monitors. Not sure if that's feasible, but that's what I'm aiming for. I'll let you know how it goes since it seems like you're looking for a similar solution.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display

Today, I ordered the Elgato Thunderbolt Dock that just came out. I'm going to see how well that does. Ultimately, I'd like to get rid of the mStand, run the MBP in clamshell mode in something like a HengeDock and have it drive two 23" external monitors. Not sure if that's feasible, but that's what I'm aiming for. I'll let you know how it goes since it seems like you're looking for a similar solution.

I will have to check out the Elgato..

I was just looking at the Henge dock and for 119 MSRP for the metal version, 89 for the plastic. Seems temping and reasonable. Just don't see on their site how to turn ON the laptop when its closed?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will have to check out the Elgato..

I was just looking at the Henge dock and for 119 MSRP for the metal version, 89 for the plastic. Seems temping and reasonable. Just don't see on their site how to turn ON the laptop when its closed?

Yep, that is a problem for sure. To my knowledge, there is no way to do so. But if you figure it out, do let me know! :)

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, that is a problem for sure. To my knowledge, there is no way to do so. But if you figure it out, do let me know! :)

Got ya..

I will likely just add a sliding tray under my desk to keep it and just plug up 3 cables, power, video, usb3.. Then slide it under the top of the desk like a keyboard tray..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Hopefully it's not as flakey as their first one was!

Yea, the problem is NONE of them are 100% solid. For some reason the whole concept of a docking station for Macs is lost (Apple should make one IMO)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yea, the problem is NONE of them are 100% solid. For some reason the whole concept of a docking station for Macs is lost (Apple should make one IMO)

Problem is (if Apple made one)...it would probably cost $500 bucks and be obsolete by the next model MBP release (new ports). But it would probably be relatively solid & stylish!;)

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the one I will likely buy for my MBA. I need more ports @ work.

CalDigit Thunderbolt? station

I looked, but still not certain. Does this also supply power to the Macbook?
If it doesn't, then its not a truly a 1 cable solution as they claim.

Problem is (if Apple made one)...it would probably cost $500 bucks and be obsolete by the next model MBP release (new ports). But it would probably be relatively solid & stylish!;)

- Nick
Very true..

My new monitor has 2x USB 2.0 ports and 2x USB 3.0, plus SDXC card reader. There is also an mUSB port, but thats for the optional OSD controller. So between that and my Belkin USB 2.0 (7port) hub, same as the one in APPLES STORE I pretty much almost got a 1 cable solution. Just plug up the mDisplay to the Monitor and that should be all I need. My sound is also USB 2.0 powered, I used the SoundBlaster E1 sound card/ headphone amp. So speakers are plugged into it also.

Now THIS STAND on Apples Store looks nice and could be something to consider.

But if not, then I may just make a sliding tray to tuck the Macbook under my desk. I made my desk anyway from 3/4 plywood and 2x2s. So its easy to mod anyway I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it does not, but there is NO 1 cable solution that provides power. There is no system power on the thunderbolt bus.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it does not, but there is NO 1 cable solution that provides power. There is no system power on the thunderbolt bus.

I didn't think so either..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the design kind of precludes power.. but.. it IS a 1 cable solution for all other I/O

I can see how one could be confused by it though.... The Dell (and now Lenovo) laptops at work (business class machines, mind you) all have docking ports and that one port replicates everything on the dock, including power.

Apple has the tech to do it.... it's a shame they don't offer a similar design, especially since they've made it a mission to eliminate every hole they possibly can on the outside of their machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see how one could be confused by it though.... The Dell (and now Lenovo) laptops at work (business class machines, mind you) all have docking ports and that one port replicates everything on the dock, including power.

Apple has the tech to do it.... it's a shame they don't offer a similar design, especially since they've made it a mission to eliminate every hole they possibly can on the outside of their machines.

Sure, but it's a much higher pin count port (all of them would clearly violate Apples aesthetics). I'm also fully in agreement that Apple should, I do not believe they ever will though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have the mStand and it's served its purpose for the most part. However, it is one of the most expensive pieces of aluminum you'll ever buy at $50. And it serves no other purpose than to prop your machine up - it's not even adjustable.

For those reasons, I have a hard time recommending it unless you can find one cheap on Fleabay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the mStand and it's served its purpose for the most part. However, it is one of the most expensive pieces of aluminum you'll ever buy at $50. And it serves no other purpose than to prop your machine up - it's not even adjustable.

For those reasons, I have a hard time recommending it unless you can find one cheap on Fleabay.

100% agreed...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.