15" Macbook Pro Retina Hard shell case.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What do you mean by "good"?

- Are hard shell cases in general "good"?
- Is this specific hard shell case "good"?

* Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
What do you mean by "good"?

- Are hard shell cases in general "good"?
- Is this specific hard shell case "good"?

* Nick

The specific ones in the link. Is there any reason a cheap one shouldn't be used. Obviously expensive is best but I just want something to protect it whilst flying, most of the time it won't be on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The specific ones in the link. Is there any reason a cheap one shouldn't be used. Obviously expensive is best but I just want something to protect it whilst flying, most of the time it won't be on.

A hard shell case is certainly going to protect the computer more than none at all. And if inexpensive works for you...all the better.:) It may even work as well as a more exensive one.:):)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
A hard shell case is certainly going to protect the computer more than none at all. And if inexpensive works for you...all the better.:) It may even work as well as a more exensive one.:):)

- Nick

I've ordered one, at that price if it's no good it's no big loss. My concern was that being cheap it could damage or scratch the laptop & was hoping someone had previous experience. I fly a lot & customs always want to see the laptop & I'm hoping it will be protected whilst going through the belt etc. Thanks for the reply.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My concern was that being cheap it could damage or scratch the laptop & was hoping someone had previous experience.

I understand your concern. I think that with many hard shell cases...the idea is that the case fits as snuggy as possible. So there's no movement between the case and the computer. If there is movement...then a "rub area" can happen. But generally speaking...these cases do fit pretty snuggly. But since there has to be contact between the case & the computer...some very small rubs may occur.

BUT...you need to weigh this SMALL risk against the much BIGGER risk of cosmetic damage to the computer without the hard shell case (dents, ding's, scratch's, scrape's, etc). Any rub marks from the hard shell case will be MUCH more minor then a nice scratch or ding to the computer without the case.

I checked your eBay link...and there appears to be no branding to this hard shell case. So it's pretty difficult for anyone to give a good/bad review on it. It just looks like a generic hard shell case for a MacBook Pro. If it was a "branded" case...it would be much easier for someone to give feedback.

It is a good price though. Not sure if you can get them in the UK...but my wife uses a hardshell case on her 13" MacBook Pro from "iPearl"...and I use a "Speck" hard shell case on my 17" MacBook Pro. No problems from either that I know of.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have a habit of purchasing protective cases for my Apple stuff. I love speck brand cases because they fit well and don't come loose, are light and cover the most possible area. I purchased a cheap hard case and found it would catch and come loose. It also didn't cover as much as my speck case did.

It is hard to tell from your link what the case actually cover. What I mean is some do not wrap around the edges on the back bottom section of the laptop which means no protect and it lets dirt and dust get under it easier which is something to watch out for.

I do think you will find it is better to leave what ever you choose on if you want to protect your laptop from scratches and minor dents.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.