• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

12" macbook pro !??

Reaction score
HI There I am a real fan of the macbook pro but before I buy one I would like to know has any one heard if they are going to release a 12” version !?
As I personal feel that the 15 and 17 are great ,but are not very practical for me to transport
Can any one help thanks :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Welcome to the Forums!

As with all rumors, no one knows if the 12" Mac Book Pro will materialize or not. It's all based on speculation as no one other than Steve Jobs himself knows for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
HI There I am a real fan of the macbook pro but before I buy one I would like to know has any one heard if they are going to release a 12” version !?
As I personal feel that the 15 and 17 are great ,but are not very practical for me to transport
Can any one help thanks :confused:

I HIGHLY DOUBT IT. If it were to exist, It's specs would be just too similar to the MacBooks. Therefore, the MacBook Pro 12" wouldnt sell that well, sinse its sales will be ursurped by the Macbooks. I know there is a market for a 12" MacBook Pros, but it just doesnt stand a chance agains the market for MacBooks. Making a 12" MacBook Pro would be a bad investment on Apple's part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kooBcaM 13"
I would buy one yesterday! But I do agree, theyve made the macbooks too powerfull to squeeze something in at the 12" level and be able to sell it. Guess I'll wait and wait till my powerbook 12" is dead!

Reaction score
@Ninjab3ar

I think you are absolutely right. Apple would lose TONS of money.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I HIGHLY DOUBT IT. If it were to exist, It's specs would be just too similar to the MacBooks. Therefore, the MacBook Pro 12" wouldnt sell that well, sinse its sales will be ursurped by the Macbooks. I know there is a market for a 12" MacBook Pros, but it just doesnt stand a chance agains the market for MacBooks. Making a 12" MacBook Pro would be a bad investment on Apple's part.

Most major computer manufacturers have a professional-level ultra-portable notebook, and Apple was no exception with the 12" Powerbook. I'd be surprised if Apple didn't come out with an Intel variation sooner or later. There are many things that differentiate a "Pro" model from the standard MacBook, including an ExpressCard slot, discrete video card, lighted keyboard and FW800 port. I'm sure it would command a premium price, but I'd be first in line. Ultra-portables are absolutely indispensable if you travel with it daily (as I do). Fortunately, the MBP 15" is lightweight enough that it's not awful, but a 12" model would fit a whole lot easier on a tray table in Coach.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why? Apple sold plenty of 12" Powerbooks.

Yes, thats true, but the specs of the 12" ibook and 12" powerbook varied significantly.

The specs of the MacBooks and 15" Macbook Pros are too close for apple to make a smaller, more stripped down Macbook Pro. What you'll be left with is a pointlessly more expensive MacBook.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, thats true, but the specs of the 12" ibook and 12" powerbook varied significantly.

The specs of the MacBooks and 15" Macbook Pros are to close for apple to make a smaller, more stripped down Macbook Pro. What you'll be left with is a pointlessly more expensive MacBook.

It wouldn't have to be stripped down just because of the size. Look at the Dell XPS 1210 for an example. If I hadn't switched to Macs, I'd likely be using one of those right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you would. The smaller size bring heat issues. for example, with less space for ventilation, they would need a processor with a lower clock speed and most likely integrated graphics (due to their small form factor the EXISTING MacBook Pros actually have an UNDER-CLOCKED video card in order to reduce heat)....hmm starting to sound familiar, eh?

Reaction score
Most major computer manufacturers have a professional-level ultra-portable notebook, and Apple was no exception with the 12" Powerbook. I'd be surprised if Apple didn't come out with an Intel variation sooner or later. There are many things that differentiate a "Pro" model from the standard MacBook, including an ExpressCard slot, discrete video card, lighted keyboard and FW800 port. I'm sure it would command a premium price, but I'd be first in line. Ultra-portables are absolutely indispensable if you travel with it daily (as I do). Fortunately, the MBP 15" is lightweight enough that it's not awful, but a 12" model would fit a whole lot easier on a tray table in Coach.

Rather than looking at as a smaller Macbook Pro, why not forget about some of the extras like the lighted keyboard, ExpressCard slot, etc. and simply offer a regular Macbook with the same discrete video card (or one respectably similar) as the pro, at a higher price point? It's not much of a stretch considering the different options for macbooks available now (such as the different optical drives for the 1.83ghz and 2.0ghz models).

The better graphics capability is the most important feature for someone who wants to work in 3D/play certain games, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
do you think there would be a market for a 12"? the 13" is already to small in my opinion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rather than looking at as a smaller Macbook Pro, why not forget about some of the extras like the lighted keyboard, ExpressCard slot, etc. and simply offer a regular Macbook with the same discrete video card (or one respectably similar) as the pro, at a higher price point? It's not much of a stretch considering the different options for macbooks available now (such as the different optical drives for the 1.83ghz and 2.0ghz models).

I might have considered a standard MacBook had that been the case, although the ExpressCard slot is very appealing - if for no other reason than having some expansion options.

Either way, I think all of this debate goes to show that Apple has some packaging problems with the current line-up. Let's hope that when they start to rehash the models (apparently sometime in 2008 to include LED backlights), they try to further differentiate the model lines.

I'm sure a lot of the Apple faithful will faint at the suggestion, but I really think Apple should have a look at how Dell differentiates the XPS line from their standard machines. IMO, they've done a decent job at differentiating and adding value for the premium prices.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do you think there would be a market for a 12"? the 13" is already to small in my opinion.

It's a personal thing - I think this has been rehashed a few times now, clearly there's plenty of interest in an ultra-portable. Coming from an ultra-portable (Inspiron 700m) to a 15" MBP, I felt like the MacBook was huge and bulky at first. Now, when I go back to the 700m, it seems almost unusable. But my last two notebooks were ultra-portables and when I was using them regularly, they were very comfortable once you got used to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I wanted a 12" so badly I bought a PowerBook. Because of the dim display, the heat and the s-l-o-w-n-e-s-s I sent it back. Once my refund comes through, I'll get a MacBook, since I don't believe they'll be offering a 12" MBP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
iKitten, let me tell ya, u gonna just love that MacBook. I have the Black one and its just so amazing how many stares I get at the coffee shops with tha nice White Apple lit up on the Black MacBook people don't believe it. Plus the performace is just amazing.

Cheer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There are dozens of threads about a hypothetical 12" Macbook Pro/Apple subnotebook.

But I'm not above rehashing it. :mac:

When I'm carrying my laptop, I want it to be as light as possible. Apple's lightest, at present, is 5.2 lbs. My 12" PowerBook is over half a pound lighter.

Lenovo, Dell, and Sony all offer laptops in the under-3-pound segment.

For some people, a subnotebook is a compliment to a primary desktop machine. For others, a subnotebook is the right fit for a carry-on-bag or coach tray-table. My PowerBook gets hooked into full-size monitors...a 17"/19" notebook without the cost or weight.

I don't understand the resistance some people have to the idea. Nobody will force you to give up your 17" MBP if Apple ever returns to the market. Different strokes for different folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
It wouldn't have to be stripped down just because of the size. Look at the Dell XPS 1210 for an example. If I hadn't switched to Macs, I'd likely be using one of those right now.

I second this, I was going to use this example. I have a friend that use the XPS 1210 (with the optional 256mb GPU upgrade) and a black Macbook every day for all kinds of intensive work related issues as well as gaming. Every once in a while I'll ask him which one he prefers, and he'll usually say they're both great at certain things. And then he'll always change his mind and say, but that Dell is good at everything, the macbook just can't handle graphics or games.

I think a powerful, ultra-compact computer could seriously fill a small but noticeable gap in the mac notebook lineup. How many posts do we see on here from students with stronger gpu needs (running autocad for example) than those offered by the current macbooks, but not wanting the size of MBP's. I run into plenty of people every day in my job who are searching for a computer in this category, and lately this number of people outweighs those looking for 15/17" notebooks. An ultra-portable "powerhouse" computer is a necessity in every manufacturer's lineup.

IBM/Lenovo has their 12" Thinkpads, Sony has their S series, HP has their TX, Toshiba has their 12" Satellites and Porteges, Dell has the M1210, Apple has their.... oh wait, no they don't! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Myself and many of my friends would buy a 12" MacBook Pro in a heartbeat. ExpressCard, faster processor, better video card are just a few of the extra goodies I'd be interested in a smaller version of the MacBook Pro. I had a 13" MacBook and loved it, but the video card didn't do what I wanted it to do. Many of my programmer-friends love the 12" size as well, easy to carry around in your bag and a cinch to dock to a larger monitor and desktop system. A 12" MacBook Pro and an iPhone would be a tough combination to beat!

Reaction score
I wonder how many really need a lighted keyboard. Learning proper typing / keyboard / hand position is worth the effort for anyone, and means being able to work without ever looking at your keyboard, IMHO.

Express slot? Maybe if you have a need for wireless broadband.

But I think the regular 13" macbook is a very versatile tool, and a pro version at this size will not sell well because of the huge price difference. Remember, though a lot of people on here are power users, most buyers are not. That is where the money is, the majority.

It is funny hearing about someone loving a dell computer so much. I have deal with so many dell pc desktops, laptops, and other hardware. Overall, I would say dell is low quality mass-produced garbage. I have seen several of their laptops die very early deaths, and they are sooo overpriced for the quality you get. Then there are the hassles. Oh no! A new virus is out this morning, everyone scramble to make sure you are protected! LOL. I am forced to use a top notch Dell desktop at work and it is really slow for the big money that was sunk into it. Quirky too. Same for all the other Dells in the office. Most of it isn't their fault though, windows is a very flawed platform. I think I am close to 100 patches now to keep it secure.

The deciding factor in leaving windows behind, for me, was that I could finally get a mac with dvd burning, firewire, and a fast processor, for only a few hundred more than a similar spec windows notebook. That was the tipping point for me, and probably will be for other "typical" users. I don't need high powered graphics capability, and just need a decent computer, without all the windows hassles. I test drove three windows vista laptops, and returned each one for being a quirky, slow, bloated piece of garbage. Vista was the last straw, but the price had to be right to get me to move. I feel many will soon make the same move, for similar reasons, and price WILL matter. The pro version is just that, a tool for professionals who will spend whatever they need to for the right tools, in their line of work.

Kudos to Apple for making the entry level Macbook! With a quick hard drive switch out to 7200 RPM, and a full load of ram, this computer amazes me with blazing startups, and great function.

Home run, out of the ballpark.

The pro models should stay as they are, expensive, well made tools for the professional. The two sections of the product line serve different segments.

The entry level Macbook I own should be the first part of a wave, that will signal (God willing), a tipping point, away from microsoft. Every empire must come to an end. That time is now.

All of this in spite of the fact that I cannot use one for work, because AutoCad, which I need daily, will NEVER be available for the Mac OS. The head of autodesk has made this clear. Sad. Engineering people will still need the dreaded PC for now, but only for work, not home anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.