10.2.9 Freeze…

Reaction score
I have a 3 plus yr old G5 - only a few applications open at the time (Safari, Itunes, Excel)…the thing just froze up - then after 5 minutes, the fan starts to blow real hard. Without knowing the simple commands to restart, I turned off the machine. Turn back on, the machine seems fine…then freezes up again…fan starts to blow hard again…this repeats a couple of times, now to the point, where the machine will turn on, but won't trigger the video monitor…then it stalls for a few minutes and the fan blows hard again. I've been stuck like this for a day now. I've checked connections…unplugged, reconnected…still the same thing.

This happened over a year ago, and after turning off and on a couple of times, the problem somehow went away. Only problem machine has had, and I run every day on various applications including pro tools.

Any diagnosis and solutions would be appreciative.

Thanks
Chicken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Fans coming on full usually indicates a kernel panic. Your copy of Mac OS X could be corrupted, perhaps because of disk corruption. I would advise getting a good disk diagnostic package like Disk Warrior (http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior) to fully test out the hard drive.

Prior to this, if you still have your install disks you could boot from them and use Disk Utility to do some basic verification, plus a Repair Permissions (in this case, this seems a reasonable thing to do). If this doesn't work, then you can progress to "the heavy armour", Disk Warrior.

Of course it is always possible that any of a number of other hardware issues could be the cause, so the disk idea could be a red herring. However, you have to start somewhere and start systematically ruling things out.

So, try the above and report back.

Oh, and BTW, Welcome to Mac Forums!!! Sorry that your first experiences here relate to problems. You will find Mac Forums to be a great community, a great place to share, and a great place to learn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other thought. Since this is an older Mac, is it possible that your hard disk is simply too full to allow proper operation any more? Mac OS X uses virtual memory, which needs disk store. If you can boot from your install disks, check the overall usage of your hard drive. You may be able to help things substantially by clearing out some files and creating more free space.

OP
C
Reaction score
The problem with booting from the install disks, is don't think I'll be able I can't open my CD drive...actually, it seems all functions are inoperable when I turn the machine on. I have to look at this again when I get home, as I'm at work now...Once I turn on, I hear the initial start up, but the video monitor doesn't even come on, and keyboard functions seem nonexistent from when I was pecking away at it in disgust..........In the event I cannot get my CD drive to open fr the eject button...can I just pull it open manually? ..and if I can, once closed, will the machine automatically read the disk? As it seems it doesn't want to do anything.

Thanks for your repsonse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting "chicken and egg" problem there Chicken! :dive: You need the computer to be running to open the drive door, but you need to open the drive door to get the computer running! I've never been in this spot - I always assumed that as soon as power was on, and while the boot firmware was in charge, the keyboard would respond to the media key. Try it and see. If not, that is a bit of a problem.

Assuming you *can* get the media tray open, here is how to boot from it. Place install disc in the drive, press C upon hearing the startup chime. Mac OS X will boot from the CD/DVD, allowing you to perform operations on your main hard drive.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you are on a G5 you must be running 10.3.x or later, since 10.2 will not run on a G5.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah when I saw 10.2.9, I thought it was very odd as 10.2.8 jumped straight to Panther 10.3 in terms of updating.

Is this G5 a Power Mac or an iMac G5?

Reaction score
The drawer might open if you hold down the mouse button when starting the machine. (Mine never does, but I think its an idiosyncrasy of my Logitech cordless.)

This link tells about the paperclip-pushed-into-the-hole trick (that I used a couple of times on my old G3), as well as holding down the mouse button. Dunno about laptops or iMacs.

Holding down the mouse is mentioned here, too.

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry guys...it's 10.3.9

Anyway, I'm back home...same thing keeps happening..keyboard and video monitor are not recognized by machine when I turn it on, therefore, I can't open the disk tray with the eject button - to insert the intall disk.. Just grand! Sounds like a trip to the apple store..which is always in adventure in nyc...unless there are any other solutions out there. Thanks again.

Chicken

OP
C
Reaction score
This is a G5 Powermac.

I tried the paper clip thing with the CD tray..that worked...was able to insert the install disk, but the machine fails to register there's a disk in there..and the monitor/keyboard still fail to be recognized.

M

MacHeadCase

All the stuff I know involves the use of keyboard. If it would have been functional, I would have suggested you insert the Hardware Test CD and run it in extended mode but in your case, even if you do get that CD in, you won't be able to click the options in the various windows. I don't think you can run the Hardware Test in Target Disk mode by using another Mac via FireWire.

I looked at Apple Support and the only thing they have on Power Mac G5s is this recall, Power Mac G5 Repair Extension Program for Power Supply Issues. By the description of the problem you give, it doesn't sound like this is what that could be the culprit but you never know. Read it, maybe your serial number is in the list.

As far as I can see, the only thing left to do is indeed to take it in the Apple Store to get it repaired.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the keyboard is not recognized, perhaps you are using a USB keyboard/mouse. Do you have the original Apple keyboard and mouse? These are direct plug ins. Can you put them back on the system? Then, MHC, perhaps some of your keyboard expertise could be brought to bear?

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm using the original keyboard..and had been using the mouse up till a month ago, but I've changed 'mice' a few times in the 3 years...so, I don't think that's the issue. I'm carrying it in this weekend..will let you all know the end result. Thanks again.

OP
C
Reaction score
Just an update on this problem. Apple techs fixed the problem - they replaced the Logic Board and Processor - saying there may have been a short in the system to knock out both. But the power supply was fine.

It makes sense about the Logic board, considering the keyboard and monitor weren't receiving power. Just surprised the Processor is involved - and that the power supply isn't damged, if there was a short. Am I being ripped off?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.