1.42GHz G4 vs 1.66 Intel CD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Well, i've barely had my Mini for a week, but i'm a bit curious.

My machine is a G4, 1.42GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB RAM. Superdrive, airport/bluetooth. I came across a place that's selling the base model Intel CD (1.66) Mini with $100 rebate, making it $499. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to an Intel machine or not.

My Mini is loaded with MS Office, iLife '06, Front Row, and a few more goodies, and i'm thinking i'd probably have to kick in $100 or so for the Intel machine after selling this G4.

Any opinions as to whether or not this is worth it? I'd be giving up 20GB of space and a superdrive in exchange for an Intel processor, better video card, more USB ports, and some other stuff (remote, audio in). What's the performance difference between these 2 machines? Would that $100 be better spent maxing out the RAM on my machine?

-Nick

Reaction score
Why not keep the G4. Looks like it's fast enough for everthing you are running. And I find disk space quite important. So why give up 20gig of that for a 100$ more. Spend the money on some RAM for your G4. That would really make a difference...

My opinion :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Keep what ya got.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Minis should be due to get the Core 2 sometime this year, so maybe wait?

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like i'll be hanging on to my machine and just maxing the RAM out. I haven't spent a lot of time with the CD Mini to compare it to mine, but it sounds like the general consensus is that the base spec machine isn't light years ahead just yet.

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.