• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mactel Desktops?

V

VastDeathmaster

Does anyone have an idea what the Mactel desktop machine will look like? I never liked the IBM squarish brushed metal computers.

I always liked the B&W G3s, but never had the money to buy one. Now as the years go by and the prices go down, I can actually consider it. It'd be great if Apple went back to that design. If for nothing else, I'll buy a dead one, gut it, and replace the parts.

I know the whole Mactel thing is rather new, but I would think there would be rumors by now on such a desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
well, most of the intel replacements have looked nearly identical to their ppc counterparts, so i would bet the intel tower will look like a g5 powermac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
dohidied said:
well, most of the intel replacements have looked nearly identical to their ppc counterparts, so i would bet the intel tower will look like a g5 powermac.

That's what I keep thinking. Aside from the laptops which are technically new models, the imac and mini have stayed the same. I do, however, have a feeling that Apple may have something up it's sleeve for the final computer to make the intel switch. We all know why we check the apple site every single day :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
VastDeathmaster said:
Does anyone have an idea what the Mactel desktop machine will look like? I never liked the IBM squarish brushed metal computers.

I always liked the B&W G3s, but never had the money to buy one. Now as the years go by and the prices go down, I can actually consider it. It'd be great if Apple went back to that design. If for nothing else, I'll buy a dead one, gut it, and replace the parts.

I know the whole Mactel thing is rather new, but I would think there would be rumors by now on such a desktop.

Already a desktop- iMac? Mac Mini?

relax, i know what you're saying, but so far everything's looked the same, expect the Intel PowerMac to look like the G5, unless they completely renovate the PowerMac like they did G4-G5, that would be cool too, return of the G4 look...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I personaly hope they keep the same metal look, but one of the main reasons for the g5 to be metal is because of the heat issues. I think they will go back to plastic because intels run pretty cool :(

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

Apple has always been about design rather than 'because of heat'. When I said Desktop, I should have been clearer by saying Tower Case.

It wasn't so much the brushed metal, but the shape. It is all rectangular and utilitarian.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
yeah, it looks very clean, almost like it belongs in a prison cell...

a black PowerMac would be cool...

and although apple has been about design, look at how they integrate cooling into their systems- take the iMac for example, they have a slot in the bottom for cool air to come in and a slot on the top to let out hot air, and no one ever really notices...

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

First I've heard anything about a new desktop from Apple - I've been busy -- but as an ex-PC designer I can tell you there is one reason all PCs look 99% the same and thats all about using mass produced standard parts ----- with the exception of the plastics (shape and color) all PCs are 99% the same (MB shape-cooling solution-fans-DVD drives-power supplies)

Thats why PCs are so cheap to build and one reason they cost less than Macs ..... now if Jobs is really serious about expanding Apples market share - he needs a sub $500 desktop to offer the public -- actual price point should be $400 for a "real" system (512MB + mid-range Gfx on board + an AGP slot).

With some clever design tactics I bet Apple could build a decent looking system based on standard (low cost) PC parts.

Don't forget 2 things:

For some folks price is everything

Every Apple sold is one less PC (XP) sold

OP
B

bfx

Don't care that much - within reason - what they look like.

But they better be faster than the Quad on the top end with a good speed bump that filters down to lower level models as well.

I buy systems to run heavy duty apps as fast as possible - not because they look pretty.

And I hope at least the mid to upper end models have true 64 bit support.

No reason Apple can't have 32 and 64 bit OS's.

bfx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Supposedly Leopard will be 64 Bit through and through, obviously retaining it's 34 bit backward compatibility. BUT, if Apple chooses a 32 bit chip for the PM replacement, then the 64 bit dream may go by the wayside. Rumor has it that Apple will likely use the Intel "Mermon" (sp?) processor in the new PM and then that may trickle down to the lower end systems. As always with Apple, you never really know until it is announced...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Ex_PC_Puke said:
First I've heard anything about a new desktop from Apple - I've been busy -- but as an ex-PC designer I can tell you there is one reason all PCs look 99% the same and thats all about using mass produced standard parts ----- with the exception of the plastics (shape and color) all PCs are 99% the same (MB shape-cooling solution-fans-DVD drives-power supplies)

Thats why PCs are so cheap to build and one reason they cost less than Macs ..... now if Jobs is really serious about expanding Apples market share - he needs a sub $500 desktop to offer the public -- actual price point should be $400 for a "real" system (512MB + mid-range Gfx on board + an AGP slot).

With some clever design tactics I bet Apple could build a decent looking system based on standard (low cost) PC parts.

Don't forget 2 things:

For some folks price is everything

Every Apple sold is one less PC (XP) sold

with the use of intel processors the cost to make one should be cheaper, but the question is will that cheaper price make it down to the consumers.

Apple should have two desktops, the powermacs for high end, and something else that is slower, worse graphics and slower ram. The powermacs besides the price seem pc switcher friendly because you can open them up and upgrade/fix them

Reaction score
Not black please, the silver metal design is a standout. Silver for pro line notebooks & desktops.

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

BlindingLights said:
yeah, it looks very clean, almost like it belongs in a prison cell...

a black PowerMac would be cool...

Well, I guess you can't satisfy minimalists; make a basic box and paint it black. :D

OP
T

tenbellys

intel last week announced some new cpu's which ship in july, 1 sec ill get the link

ahh here we go http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/08/intel_core_2_brand/

they will be known as Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Duo extreme. someone said on here they feel november time for them. for me i see these chips appearing in a new macpowerthingy with a set of these in.

im probably wrong but the times here are pretty slick.

but in other news intel are finally going to stop making the 486!

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

tenbellys said:

Well, I guess NASA's space programs are finally upgrading their hardware!

Maybe NASA's just going to Playstations or Xbox's. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
tenbellys said:
intel last week announced some new cpu's which ship in july, 1 sec ill get the link

ahh here we go http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/08/intel_core_2_brand/

they will be known as Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Duo extreme. someone said on here they feel november time for them. for me i see these chips appearing in a new macpowerthingy with a set of these in.

im probably wrong but the times here are pretty slick.

There's anther thread around here that talks about how these chips don't have the ability to to be used in Multi Chip systems, such a replacement for the Quad. Apparently these are really intended to be laptop processors and not desktop workhorses as one would expect to find in the PM line.

Seems like everyone is thinking Mermon may be what shows up in the PM follow on.

OP
T

tenbellys

yeh ive just seen that, bit of a bummer. i wonder what there planning then. I have a xeon server at where I work and it cost us and arm and 4 legs. its quad cpu (2 logical) and ive never been a great fan of its peformance. yeh it does the job but its never been blisteringly quick. maybe because its never run max os ? :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
They might do it how they did it with the MBs. A normal, brushed one (or perhaps white) and maybe a black one for a crazy amount of money added.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
cjay said:
Not black please, the silver metal design is a standout. Silver for pro line notebooks & desktops.
I concur

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.