Half screen youtube?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
When I go to youtube and pick out a video I hit the full screen button in the lower left hand corner it only enlarges using only almost half the screen. If I click on that screen it will then enlarge to the full screen. It has never did that before, and after it does fill up the whole screen it will stay that way when I go from video to video. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What Mac and/or browser are you using??

I only see the "enlarge to full screen" icon at youtube using Safari in Mavericks in the bottom right corner of the video window. And it works as expected.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yosemite 10.10.5

Safari

It's not a big deal, but when I get use to something and all of a sudden it changes I wonder why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not this bad I hope…

https://discussions.apple.com/message/28839866#28839866

Hopefully someone will post some possible solutions for you…

PS: I got a Software Update for Safari today, maybe there's one for you as well and it just maybe might fix your problem. Plus a shutdown + reboot of course. ;D

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh my, no, not near that bad. My you tube screen is 2/3rd the way down the 27" monitor and about 1/3rd across.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh my, no, not near that bad. My you tube screen is 2/3rd the way down the 27" monitor and about 1/3rd across.

Maybe something to do with your 27" Retina 5K iMac and its viewing options or settings…and what youtube offers…????

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe something to do with your 27" Retina 5K iMac and its viewing options or settings…and what youtube offers…????

Might be, I don't remember changing anything except for how long the computer stays awake. I may give Applecare a call tonight after work. I will post what they have to say. Thanks pm-r

C

chas_m

When I go to youtube and pick out a video I hit the full screen button in the lower left hand corner it only enlarges using only almost half the screen. If I click on that screen it will then enlarge to the full screen. It has never did that before, and after it does fill up the whole screen it will stay that way when I go from video to video. Thanks

You are probably mistakenly hitting the "theatre mode" button rather than the "full screen" button:

Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 12.23.49 PM.jpg

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are probably mistakenly hitting the "theatre mode" button rather than the "full screen" button:

View attachment 23392

No, I don't think so, I contacted Applecare this morning and we decided to download el capitan to see if that would help which it didn't, but they did see what was happening using Apple Care viewing. I will call them again later this weekend to see what they have to say. They seem to be interested in whats going on, I did ask them if it could be on youtube's end and he said that was possible.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

Well, let's start at the beginning. You are accessing YouTube through a web browser -- which one?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

So, in Safari's preferences there is a section called "Extensions" -- are there any there?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, there sure isn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
… … …
Well, let's start at the beginning. You are accessing YouTube through a web browser -- which one?

So, in Safari's preferences there is a section called "Extensions" -- are there any there?

Well, at this rate it shouldn't take too long for you to amass another 20,000 posts chas!!! :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/32G Ram Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, iPhone 6
it's not a fix, however once you go full screen (shows up 1/2 screen size) pause the video, then click play and it will go full screen. I'm having the same issue since the last el capitan update.

I have not been able to find a fix for this yet. Youtube has been notified of the problem. Good luck!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's not a fix, however once you go full screen (shows up 1/2 screen size) pause the video, then click play and it will go full screen. I'm having the same issue since the last el capitan update.

I have not been able to find a fix for this yet. Youtube has been notified of the problem. Good luck!

Thanks Gary, for a while there I thought I was the only one this was happening too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.