• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Public betas of iOS 9 and El Capitan released today

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As the title states: The Public beta of iOS 9 and El Capitan have been released today. Follow the link(s) in the article to obtain them. Usual precautionary words apply when messing with beta software!

iOS 9 and El Capitan public betas released

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
El Capitan is installing as I type this. Will report back after I mess with it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Download of El Capitan begins as soon as I make a clone of the current system. Looks like my iPad may not run the beta. I just got it a few months ago when I changed carriers but skimped a bit when I pick the iPad to cut down on the bill a bit. (16 GB iPad)

C

chas_m

I'm just going to put this as plainly as I can: these new public betas are not like the ones we got for Yosemite. Both of them have LOTS of broken functionality and BIG bugs. You can find a PARTIAL list of problems here:

Apple launches first public betas of El Capitan, iOS 9 | MacNN

The bottom line here is that unless you are *really* testing these two on test machines that you can afford to lose data on, DO NOT install these betas. Let the people who are serious about improving them and know what they are doing viz beta software do the work. Usually public betas have most of the major showstoppers worked out before Apple lets them loose on the public, but not this time. You've been warned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I think I will wait this one out and let others have all the fun. I thought about using my 2009 Macbook as a test machine but I think I will wait for now.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My phone could take the Beta but I'm not going to run it there because it's essentially our house phone. If I can shoehorn the beta onto my iPad I'll put it there.

I'll start downloading El Capitan as soon as I finish the clone of my current system and verify that it works.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm just going to put this as plainly as I can: these new public betas are not like the ones we got for Yosemite. Both of them have LOTS of broken functionality and BIG bugs. You can find a PARTIAL list of problems here:

Apple launches first public betas of El Capitan, iOS 9 | MacNN

The bottom line here is that unless you are *really* testing these two on test machines that you can afford to lose data on, DO NOT install these betas. Let the people who are serious about improving them and know what they are doing viz beta software do the work. Usually public betas have most of the major showstoppers worked out before Apple lets them loose on the public, but not this time. You've been warned.

Um, Chas, I am a tester and if people do not test it will continue to be full of Bugs. Most here are very much aware about bugs. I never said I was installing it on my main partition! I am not stupid. I JOINED the Beta program way back to HELP Apple find the bugs! :D

I have 3 partitions here on my system and one just for the new BETA so don't worry,

That said just got back and am in 10.11 as I type this and hey, it's smooth and Safari works and seems very snappy! So there! :p

C

chas_m

Dennis: sorry you didn't manage to read on to paragraph two of my post. Let me repeat here with emphasis for the comprehension-challenged.

"The bottom line here is that unless you are *really* testing these two on test machines that you can afford to lose data on, DO NOT install these betas. Let the people who are serious about improving them and know what they are doing viz beta software do the work."

The entire purpose of those sentences is to specifically exclude people like yourself from the warning. Lots of people (millions) do not heed the usual precautions, and install betas on their main machines or on their main partition, or without a backup, or otherwise are stupid. Does any of that sound like you? Of course it doesn't. I'm sorry if this was ... somehow ... unclear to you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Missed your 2nd part as I am in a hurry but still most here do realize it's Very early Beta. I read the list from MacMN. Does not look that bad actually for an very early beta. I will report all I find to apple.

Thanks for the List from MacMN.

Anyone installing a early beta like this and excepting perfection and no issues is asking for issues! :D Grin

Still even with this early Beta I do sense a bit more speed so far in what I have been doing even on this late 2007 IMac! That is a good thing! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I installed the beta on my main 6+ last evening and so far so good. The only complaints that I have is 1. Full screen on youtube has a few glitches and 2. the known volume buttons not taking pictures. So far it seems more reliable than iOS 8. I have not had any crashing like I used to experience quite frequently. I have several backups and many phones that I could use in case I did have issues with the beta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Missed your 2nd part as I am in a hurry but still most here do realize it's Very early Beta. I read the list from MacMN. Does not look that bad actually for an very early beta. I will report all I find to apple.

Thanks for the List from MacMN.

Anyone installing a early beta like this and excepting perfection and no issues is asking for issues! :D Grin

Still even with this early Beta I do sense a bit more speed so far in what I have been doing even on this late 2007 IMac! That is a good thing! :D

Hmmm…??? I'm a bit surprised that a good beta tester would have missed a valuable part of a post there, and I think I'd use a separate drive volume for any beta installation and not rely on just using a partition.

But it's interesting to read it seems to be running well on a mid-late 2007 iMac which my wife is now using when I got a mid-2011 iMac, but with snow leopard, and probably will for some time yet, and I'll be staying with Mavericks unless El Capitan improves the OS X experience as SL 10.6.8 did and which I'm told it might. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm…??? I'm a bit surprised that a good beta tester would have missed a valuable part of a post there, and I think I'd use a separate drive volume for any beta installation and not rely on just using a partition.

So you saying I am a BAD beta tester because I do not bow down to Chas_M's posts? Interesting. So are you a GOOD beta tester? and tell me all wise PM-R, what is wrong with a PARTITION for testing? I think before you attack me, you should learn before typing.

There is nothing Chas said that I needed to read.

Have a good day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So you saying I am a BAD beta tester because I do not bow down to Chas_M's posts? Interesting. So are you a GOOD beta tester? and tell me all wise PM-R, what is wrong with a PARTITION for testing? I think before you attack me, you should learn before typing.

There is nothing Chas said that I needed to read.

Have a good day.

Good grief Dennis, are you having a bad day or what, and I was NOT attacking you in any way at all!!

And I'm sorry you seemed to have misinterpreted some of what I was saying. Something missing in the translation I guess, and it sure wasn't intended as such.

Have a good enjoyable weekend. ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM-R, I sent you a PM explaining things. Take care.

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just found a bug in 10.11. Never had this with any Beta before. If I network to my other Macs and try to view the documents folder on any of them, the finder windows goes nuts with all kinds of corruption! I have to get some screen shots and report it to Apple.

Remote Desktop on that same share still works though. Crazy!

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm a member of another forum: "Logos Software". It's amazing how many folks there jumped on the public beta of El Capitan and installed it on their production machine. Lots of complaints to the developer of Logos because it doesn't run right on the beta. Just reading through some of them this afternoon - lots of irate responses blaming both Apple and Logos. When will folks ever learn that beta software is for testing and not because you want the latest and greatest right away?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put the Beta on my primary machine because I have a backup and won't be doing much of anything "mission critical for a few more weeks. Been testing since last night but have noticed the following:

1. Initially after the beta install I had 2 Mail icons in the Dock. One where I had placed it in the left side of the Dock and one on the far right near the divider. Both aliases linked to the same app. That was fixed in the supplemental update.

2. I have an external display connected to my MacBook Pro. The Displays preference pane has the external monitor set to the left of the MacBook screen with everything in extended desktop mode. Moving from the laptop screen to external monitor I move the cursor from right to left. Under the beta this still works unless I am at the login screen where everything is the exact opposite which I think is the default.

As soon Ias I log into my account I get my settings otherwise things are reversed. Did Yosemite behave that way.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded and put the beta on an external USB 3 hard drive which I was using to test the Office 2016 preview. Spent half the evening downloading. The 2016 Office Preview had 5 updates to download and install before I could even get to "El Capitan". Finally got it all installed. Looked at the pretty new desktop and decided I'll play around with it tomorrow evening when I have more time. :D

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Probably a bit early to start hassling developers but have already received updates for iStat Menus (not working originally), CleanMyMac 4 (I know, I know), Vuze required, Java for OS X 2015-001 beta installs the legacy Java 6 runtime for OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

This package is exclusively intended for support of legacy software, and installs the same deprecated version of Java 6 included in the 2013-005 release. If you require Java for applets or other non-legacy uses it is recommended you download the latest version of Java from java.com: Java + You.

Quake 4 does not load and Opera has trouble downloading web links so have swapped to the Beta version. My VPN app (Witopia) required a update otherwise all good so far.:Blushing:

C

chas_m

As I think I noted elsewhere, the Mac-Forums iOS app doesn't work under iOS 9. I didn't realise how much I use that thing ...

Overall, iOS 9 does actually seem quicker, and while I haven't tested it very much, I like the new features I have seen (the new Siri presence for example). There's stuff that doesn't work, but most things seem to be running okay. So far, it's less problematic than El Capitan (which I haven't put on any of my own machines, just a spare unit at work), but I still wouldn't suggest this for anyone who's just keen to see/use the new features. It's pretty far along for an early beta, but pretty far from ready for release.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.