• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Glass Ketchup Bottles

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
anyone got a unique method for getting the stuff to come out??

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Stand the bottle in warm water.
Basically though, buy the squeezy stuff, so much less hassle!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Stand the bottle in warm water.
Basically though, buy the squeezy stuff, so much less hassle!
What he said.
The heat will liquify the ketchup and it'll come out of the jar.

And a note. In Australia we never say the word ketchup. I first heard of the word on a Garfield comic and was like ***. I googled it up and that told me what it was. In Australia we say "tomato sauce".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
heinz-ketchup1.jpg

See where the 57 is embossed in the glass? Not the top label the actual glass. While holding the bottle upside down - karate chop the 57 until the ketchup comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
57 times.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
and you have to do it in under 57 seconds....

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Hehe. Should be a fun thread. Just tilt the bottle about -15 degrees from horizontal and tap on the area where the bottle curves into the neck - will flow in about 4 taps.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The tapping on Heinz 57 usually works for me as well..though, only do that on new bottles, otherwise it'll flow a little too easily..

On a brand new bottle, I've also found that shoving a knife inside to start the flow helps..

Though, nowadays I just buy the plastic squeeze kind..:)

Regards

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If you're at a restaurant, hold the bottle on its side and use a butter knife to work the ketchup out. Always use a clean knife, of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're at a restaurant, hold the bottle on its side and use a butter knife to work the ketchup out. Always use a clean knife, of course.

Surely you get the waiter to do it, and then when he splodges it all over your food you can claim a free meal....

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
1) Attach a clean plastic extension tube to an air nozzle attachment for a portable air compressor.
2) Invert the ketchup bottle and fully insert the plastic tube
3) Press the control button on the air nozzle
4) Be sure to video and share the results with us

;)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Surely you get the waiter to do it, and then when he splodges it all over your food you can claim a free meal....

If that's what it takes, he can splodge over my food any time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And a note. In Australia we never say the word ketchup. I first heard of the word on a Garfield comic and was like ***. I googled it up and that told me what it was. In Australia we say "tomato sauce".

Ok...I'm curious. In Australia if ketchup is called tomato sauce...then what is tomato sauce called (the stuff you use as an ingredient in spaghetti sauce, lasagna, etc.)?:)

And if tomato sauce (for spaghetti & lasagna) is called tomato sauce...then how do you know the difference between tomato sauce (ketchup) and tomato sauce (spaghetti)?;)

- Nick

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
so many suggestions, too little ketchup bottles to try them out on.....

as for why I haven't bought a squeezy: i have an empty squeezy bottle, and am pouring the glass bottle contents into it, as they are cheaper.

Student life.....

I will have to bookmark this thread for next time i need to do it! :p

Reaction score
I haven't used a glass catsup (hey, there's another word for the same thing) bottle in years…but it makes me feel young when I see one at old fashioned burger joints.

Now I want a burger.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
so many suggestions, too little ketchup bottles to try them out on.....

as for why I haven't bought a squeezy: i have an empty squeezy bottle, and am pouring the glass bottle contents into it, as they are cheaper.

Student life.....

I will have to bookmark this thread for next time i need to do it! :p

Why didn't you say before this was a practical problem? So, here is one fairly cheap and easy soloution.

1) warm the glass bottle (hot water immersion works well)
2) remove the lid from the two bottles and put mouth to mouth (may have to fabricate some type of adapter if there is too much disparity in opening size
3) wrap the joint with plastic wrap (like saran wrap)
4) then duct tape over the joint for strength, invert so glass bottle is on top and set aside somewhere relatively warm and let gravity do its work (probably need to prop or brace it so you don't get any unwelcome surprises

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What he said.
The heat will liquify the ketchup and it'll come out of the jar.

Or "Dead 'orse" (horse for those that coulnt work it out ) lol

Ok...I'm curious. In Australia if ketchup is called tomato sauce...then what is tomato sauce called (the stuff you use as an ingredient in spaghetti sauce, lasagna, etc.)?:)

Bolognaise/pasta sauce or however you spell it . . . .
And if tomato sauce (for spaghetti & lasagna) is called tomato sauce...then how do you know the difference between tomato sauce (ketchup) and tomato sauce (spaghetti)?;)

- Nick

There in different aisle in the supermarket. Dead 'orse is in the sauce/condiments section and the 'other' one is in the section close to the pasta.

The pasta sauce is a food within itself with the ingredients in the jar, where as Tomato Sauce is just that. . . . . A sauce.

In all fairness though, Tomato Sauce and Ketchup are 2 completely different sauces/taste . . . .I have had both and Ketchup is more sour than our Tomato sauce

Hmmm interesting Nick. Wiki states Tomato Sauce as the thing you put on Pasta and the such . . . . . . And Ketchup from wiki
Ketchup (or Catsup) (American English and Canadian English) or tomato sauce (Commonwealth English) is a sweet-and-sour condiment typically made from tomatoes, vinegar, sugar or high-fructose corn syrup, and an assortment of vegetable seasonings and spices such as onions, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, garlic, and celery.[1] Ketchup is often used with chips (French fries), hamburgers, sandwiches and grilled or fried meat. Ketchup is also used as a base for various sauces. It is a typical accompaniment for the meat pies of Australia and New Zealand.

Thanks now i am totally confused hahaha ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
With the cap on the bottle, hold it upside down in one hand and smack your other palm in a downward stabbing motion with the cap. Should take one good smack. The ketchup will head to the opening end with a loud whack and when you open the bottle it should pour out easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Dead easy Rob.

Just hold the bottle above your nice clean white shirt, and it will pout out everywhere!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.