• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

So...How do i install os x on a p4?

M

menace3054

since the software is already made for both intel and power pc, anyone know how to install os x on a pc? kinda nice seeing as how they are like 50% cheaper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
menace3054 said:
since the software is already made for both intel and power pc, anyone know how to install os x on a pc? kinda nice seeing as how they are like 50% cheaper

You can't. The software isn't made for both platforms.

OP
M

menace3054

Padawan said:
You can't. The software isn't made for both platforms.

according to mr. jobs it has been for 5 years, he presented the keynote on a p4 3.6ghz running tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Even if the x86 version was available, I imagine you'd run in to some driver problems.

But, I saw a blurb today that a development platform would be for sale (to some developers) with a P4 and OS X 10.4.2 (x86) for $999, sometime this month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The switch to Intel doesn't necessarily mean that Macs will be simple PC clones...otherwise, Apple could simply stop developing hardware and become a software-only company.
Which, interestingly, happened to NeXT, Jobs' former company before he came back to Apple...I just hope that's not the way Apple has chosen to go.

OP
M

menace3054

Avalon said:
The switch to Intel doesn't necessarily mean that Macs will be simple PC clones...otherwise, Apple could simply stop developing hardware and become a software-only company.
Which, interestingly, happened to NeXT, Jobs' former company before he came back to Apple...I just hope that's not the way Apple has chosen to go.

i just wanted to see how it ran, i think its cool, finally vpc wont be virtual anymore! im excited :) better start saving the $$ for a new powermac

Reaction score
I also saw that they will be selling $999 Intel development systems. They look just like a regular PowerMac, but with Intel Inside (pun intended).

OP
M

menace3054

Avid6eek said:
I also saw that they will be selling $999 Intel development systems. They look just like a regular PowerMac, but with Intel Inside (pun intended).

yea thats kinda neat, but they have to give them back next year, so i guess its a 999 rental fee

OP
S

sigp6

I'd actually like to know how to do the opposite. I love the Mac hardware but would take Windows XP over OS X any day. Hopefully in the not too distant future...

Reaction score
sigp6 said:
I'd actually like to know how to do the opposite. I love the Mac hardware but would take Windows XP over OS X any day. Hopefully in the not too distant future...

LOL...They are going to run you out of the forums. Just like yesterday they would have all argued that nothing could touch a G5, they will claim that OS X is superior to Windows in every way. Don't mess around with the Apple Cult.

OP
S

sigp6

I figure I'll be flamed like ****, but I am totally serious. My wife has a 15" G4 Powerbook for work and can't stand the OS. After using XP it seems very counterintuitive and limits the way you can do things.

That said, the overall build quality is excellent (except that cheesy magnetic latch that lasted about 2 weeks). To me XP on a powerbook platform would be excellent!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
sigp6 said:
I figure I'll be flamed like ****, but I am totally serious. My wife has a 15" G4 Powerbook for work and can't stand the OS. After using XP it seems very counterintuitive and limits the way you can do things.

That said, the overall build quality is excellent (except that cheesy magnetic latch that lasted about 2 weeks). To me XP on a powerbook platform would be excellent!
Have any specifics? What's counterintuitive?

As a switcher and former Microsoft employee, I would beg to differ that it's definitely the other way around ;)

Reaction score
The only thing I really dislike about OS X is that is is naturally sluggish feeling compared to WinXP. Makes that expensive hardware feel slower than it needs to.

If you could install WinXP on a Powerbook, I would be there. I cannot find a Wintel laptop as nice as the Powerbook. My only complain is the resolutions on Apples laptops are horrible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
schweb said:
You all do understand that the Intel version of OS X will not run on any Intel PC right? It will require Apple's Open Firmware and Apple's chipset to function. So even if you do find it, good luck trying to use it
so there you have it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Ok, i just saw half of the WWDC 2005, and it seems or i understood that any copy of OSX is ready to run/install on a Pentium... I wish i had an extra HD to try...

Reaction score
menace3054 said:
according to mr. jobs it has been for 5 years, he presented the keynote on a p4 3.6ghz running tiger

that would be a good laugh, LOL!

OP
K

Kokopelli

Avid6eek said:
I cannot find a Wintel laptop as nice as the Powerbook. My only complain is the resolutions on Apples laptops are horrible.

IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpads. They may not be as ascetically pleasing but they are every bit as well built. Better in my opinion. You pay out the nose for the quality though.

OP
M

menace3054

shaun89 said:
that would be a good laugh, LOL!

what do you mean? he really did do the presentation on a p4 3.6 ghz, the same one hes shipping to developers

OP
K

Kokopelli

Avid6eek said:
LOL...They are going to run you out of the forums. Just like yesterday they would have all argued that nothing could touch a G5, they will claim that OS X is superior to Windows in every way. Don't mess around with the Apple Cult.

Please try and avoid blanket statements and I will return the favor. Some of us are a bit... protective of the PPC. But I think that most here are receptive to a thought out and polite argument.

As I and others here have stated in the past, it is not as simple as saying one is better than the other. Whether it be PPC vs x86 or OS X vs Windows. Each has their strong points and each has their weaknesses.

I prefer OS X and Linux to Windows, but that does not mean that Windows does not have many things going for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.