G5 Problems???

T

thekwiat

I pyrchased a G5 1.8 with1Ghz of RAM, and have been using it now for 1 week editing video onFCP4. Ihave had a few time whereFCP4 haveexited out when scrubbing the timelineor tryingtoplacevideo on a locked track...is this a softwareissue?

Also,today uponpower up,I was inanother room and I could hear my cooling fans reved upall the way as if my g5 wanted to takeoff. I had to unplug my machineandreboot. Has anyone had this happen to anyof thier Macs, G5 or lower?

PSI am using a 160Ghz Lacie external firewire drive for the video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Hmm, Ihaveno idea, Iguess you should expecta firmwareupgrade inawhile.

sigh* is it so hard to use the space bar button? :D

OP
T

thekwiat

Graphite said:
Hmm, Ihaveno idea, Iguess you should expecta firmwareupgrade inawhile.

sigh* is it so hard to use the space bar button? :D

Iamnotonmycomputer,andthespacebarsticks...sorry.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
thekwiat said:
I pyrchased a G5 1.8 with1Ghz of RAM, and have been using it now for 1 week editing video onFCP4. Ihave had a few time whereFCP4 haveexited out when scrubbing the timelineor tryingtoplacevideo on a locked track...is this a softwareissue?

I believe this a possible software problem. Check the Apple discussion boards and the FCP user groups.

thekwiat said:
Also,today uponpower up,I was inanother room and I could hear my cooling fans reved upall the way as if my g5 wanted to takeoff. I had to unplug my machineandreboot. Has anyone had this happen to anyof thier Macs, G5 or lower?

PSI am using a 160Ghz Lacie external firewire drive for the video.

I have read that the G5 is affected by the temperature of the room. I remember reading that a young lady had her G5 in an air-conditioned room. The air conditioner went out. That is when the fans on her G5 kicked into high gear. You may want to check the Apple boards on this one too.

OP
D

dziner

thekwiat said:

I've had the exact same problem with my 1.6Ghz. It has happened to me twice. Infact it just happened this morning. I hit the power button - the light lit up and went back off - the system didn't startup but the fans were starting to run faster and faster. Something wasn't right so I pulled the plug. Tried it again - same thing. The third time my Mac started up. I'm going to call Apple tonight when I get home and see what's up with this. I've only had it a little over a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Bummer. I expected to hear reports like this. Hopeuflly this isn't a problem, and maybe a software fix....

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Dudes... 9 fans sound loud... YES THERES 9 FANS
Your G5 wont take off :D XD

OP
R

robertduncan

Turbo Fans ! ! !

yikes, me too!

I spent an hour or more on the phone with Mac, ran every test possible and "taking it back to a Mac repair shop" is the next step. I spoke to another Mac person (from a hands on repair shop, warranty covered) and as soon as I mentioned the fan he said it must be the logic board and he was getting a lot of G5's in with the problem. I am not happy.

If you have any other info . ..

I'll be taking mine in next week, I'll let you know.

Robert
646 246-6263 if you have any other questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
well, the fans are controlled by OS X, so unless OS X is booted up, the fans will go at maximum speed.

OP
R

robertduncan

No, these fans are running so loud it is hard to believe. I thought I'd left the window open and there was some sort of truck reving outside. It seems it is a hardware issue, not what we want to hear. Looks like we might be jumping into the barrel on this one, waiting for Mac to send the repair people out on the road.

R -

OP
R

robertduncan

p.s. shortly after the fans kick in, the system freezes with an error message prompting a re-boot. The time from booting up to the error message returning goes from 30 minutes to about 30 seconds within about 5 re-boots. Its a problem.

OP
D

dziner

Funny you replied to this today. I've also had a problem with my cable modem. I just got broadband. The modem was working ok for a while then within a few days it stopped giving the Mac an IP address. I returned it and got a new Motorola Surfboard modem and the same thing happened. No IP address. So right now I'm surfing with a router and the modem which seems to work. Apple said to reinstall Jaguar, see if I get an IP and if I do, upgrade to Panther (which I have now).

I think something else is wrong because when I was on the phone with him and updating the firmware I had the fans running at full speed again. Doesn't sound good.

Tonight my friend called who works at an Apple shop in Lancaster, PA. He said he'll stop in and take a look at it and bring home the parts so I won't be without my Mac. It's great having friends in the right places. It's who you know, not what you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you not read stuff?
robertduncan said:
No, these fans are running so loud it is hard to believe. I thought I'd left the window open and there was some sort of truck reving outside. It seems it is a hardware issue, not what we want to hear. Looks like we might be jumping into the barrel on this one, waiting for Mac to send the repair people out on the road.

R -
Mac dude said:
well, the fans are controlled by OS X, so unless OS X is booted up, the fans will go at maximum speed.

OP
T

thecrammer

i have had the same problem a few times with my G5 (10.3.2)
it happens when it is sleeping. i will hear the fans start to rev and it keeps going until it sounds very loud (not good). all the while, i am unable to wake it up. i need to unplug it to stop it. upon restart it seems to work ok. this has happened a few times. i am not familiar with apple procedures - how do you think they will remedy this problem??????

OP
J

jenn

I've had the same problems with the fan...sometimes when it's in sleep mode, sometimes not (I'm on 10.2.8)

I'm also having WAY too many crashes :(

and my adddress book is perennially frozen (can add new contacts, but can't modify existing ones).

all in all, it's been a frustrating 3 months.

OP
H

h3o

I have this problem as well... I took it to the genius bar at the apple store and they took it in for service and ended up replacing the whole logic board. Now, I still have the problem, only I can get my computer started after about 7-10 hard shutdowns/restarts and not 20 like last time! There were also others at the Apple store with the same problem (in San Francisco and in Denver), so it seems like its becoming a major issue. Some say its a faulty video card. I don't know, but I'm about ready to sell this **** thing. Dual 2ghz piece of ****. I'm going to bring it back in and see if I can get the whole thing replaced.

OP
M

matt151617

I had the same problem when i turned my g5 on too. but then one day i was playing unreal 2k3, and it locked up, and i turned it off, and wouldnt turn on. turns our the lower processor had somthing wrong with it. now its all back to normal. boots up in 24 seconds :) i love this computer

OP
J

JohnXE

Wow this sounds like a major problem..I was even going to get a G5 soon! Do you guys think I will be ok if my room is fairly cool (it gets so cool my feet go numb sometimes).

OP
A

andyp

My first G5, purchased one month ago had the fan problem, but on rebooting failed to start at all. I took it back and had the whole machine replaced (it took Apple 3 weeks). The new one has a fatal (non fan related) flaw that appeared after 2 days, and I'm now waiting for Apple to come and collect it. It seems Apple have rushed out a sub standard product costing thousands and should NOT be allowed to get away with it. But what to do?

OP
D

dziner

I thought my start-up problem was fixed when I reinstalled Panther and wiped my drive. But I just got back from a week vacation in California and had turned my G5 off while I was away. When I got home and hit the power button the small white LED lit up and then went off. No start up but I could here it was running. I pulled the power plug. Did this about 10 more times. Nothing. Then I opend the case and hot the PMU button. Started up fine after that. I love my G5 though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.