• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to copy DVD

K

kamaferro

My kids would like to copy DVD from friends, could you please suggest best freeware software and how to go about it, how to compress file ?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
Okay no offense, but you guys have got to relax.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yep...

Lets pretend he didn't say that and just *cough* the appropriate answer.

I use following Apps to make back up copys of my dvd's (like my band's new DVD):

Mactheripper ( to copy dvd 2 harddrive)
Handbrake (to compress the dvd for archival)

But only do this if you are legally allowed to / own the copyright..

OP
K

kamaferro

DVD types

I have an eMac Superdrive latest model, if I use other recording software like Fast DVD copy, can I use a disc of the type DVD-RW, or DVD+R ?

I tried to copy into a DVD-RW but cannot be read by eMAC and my player.

Why that. In the market there are many DVD disc type, which ones can I use, not familiar with all this, quite confusing.

Appeciate your clarification

regards

Aptmunich said:
Yep...

Lets pretend he didn't say that and just *cough* the appropriate answer.

I use following Apps to make back up copys of my dvd's (like my band's new DVD):

Mactheripper ( to copy dvd 2 harddrive)
Handbrake (to compress the dvd for archival)

But only do this if you are legally allowed to / own the copyright..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The Trooper said:
Okay no offense, but you guys have got to relax.

It's not like I scolded the member or anything. I told them it was illegal and there was no free way to do it and then referred them to the thread that explains how to copy dvds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. It looked like you were scolding him and trying to preach ethics
2. Nothing we say will influence whether or not his kids choose to continue with what they want to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if i wanted to scold him/her i would have just closed the thread and said its discussing illegal activity and I know that we can't influence his/her kids but still wanted to state its illegal

OP
S

sivp

trpnmonkey41 said:
well 1. What your kids want to do is illegal
2. There is no free way to do it
3. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1406

1) No one has to know
2) Only for personal use (If you sell it, then it's illegal)
3) What if i wanted to use a VHS off TV or DVD, same thing
4) Who cares!
5) Don't Do Warez... It's bad for the soul. Movies from hardcopies are ok.. i guess...

Depends on your ethics... But in Canada, downloading music is legal for personal use, downloading software is illegal, but 80 % of the kids do it these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But the poster said that her kids wanted to copy some of their friends DVD's which is illegal. You can copy your own DVD's for personal use

OP
K

kamaferro

3) What if i wanted to use a VHS off TV or DVD, same thing

Please explain, I don't understand.

Movies from hardcopies are ok.. i guess...

Also this part, please clarify

Ciao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VHS off of your TV or your own DVD's is fine because you own the DVD (Not legal to do it to rented movies) and TV is a different issue because you are paying for the service so you can record shows to watch later (Which is why DVR's are legal) but you can't distribute them, give them to other people or copy them for other people legally

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I don't see how taping a pay-per-view movie is any different from copying a rental. After all, you pay for those, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Taping a pay-per-view movie and copying rentals are both illegal because you are paying to view them for a period of time. You can copy a rented VHS or DVD and watch it but once your rental period is up then it becomes illegal.

When you rent a movie or purchase a movie on ppv you are essentially purchasing a license to that program for a certain period of time (PPV is the length of the movie, rentals are however long you rent it for). You can copy it as much as you want as long as the rental period or movie is still running but once the time runs out the license is expired and it becomes illegal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well then how is that any different from taping a movie off regular TV? And what if you're not a cable or satellite subscriber? Is it suddenly illegal simply because you don't pay for any additional channels you don't necessarily need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Under the betamax supreme court decision the govt declared it is legal under fair use to record shows off of your tv solely for the purpose of "time-shifting" which is basically so you can watch it at a more convenient time. Under the fair use laws you can not legally record any shows to "warehouse" them or to just keep them in a library of recordings. The RIAA says that “later” means that when you watch the recording once, your fair use time-shifting rights end, and you must erase the video. The Supreme court left a lot of issues unsolved in the decision because people can record a show and not watch it compiling a library of a certain show which is legal until an episode is watched in which case it is supposed to be erased

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right.....try telling that to some 12-year-old who has every Simpsons episode on tape. I'm sure you'll have no problem convincing them. If I choose to settle for a lower-quality, cut-up, watermarked version of Family Guy or South Park recorded from TV because I don't have $50 for the box set, there's no law that says I can't do that. Just because Fox or Comedy Central realised they could make lots of money selling something that was already licensed for the public domain doesn't mean I have to give them any of my money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never said I am convincing anybody of any laws....You asked me what the laws were and I told you what they are. Most people don't know the full extent of the law and most people don't abide by it...that's not my problem nor do I really care but when people ask about doing something illegal on these forums I will tell them that is illegal.

Actually there are laws saying you can't just record the Family guy or South Park epiodes and watch them over and over. You can watch them once under the fair use laws but after that what you are doing is illegal. Is anybody going to report you for this? No but that still doesn't change the fact that it is illegal.

Those shows are not licensed for public domain otherwise there wouldn't be any problems with people recording them and the networks wouldn't even bother to publish them in box sets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The box sets are for people who don't want to go through the trouble of taping the program themselves. Also, they're guaranteed a high quality version with no skips because of commercials, and no annoying watermarks put there by the television network. Anyway, this is why I said you need to relax. It's also why the United States and other countries need to make changes to their copyright laws. Because when over 60 million of their citizens are apparently breaking the law, maybe the law is wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never said that I abide by all of the laws when it comes to the matters but on the boards I try to do my job which is try to keep the threads to allowable topics. The laws are fine but its just too easy for people to break them right now which is why they do. Since a majority of the world downloads music and break the law by doing so should everybody change the laws for music downloading?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.