• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Xbox '720' vs. 'PS4'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You can't restore a Xbox hard drive like that. If your Xbox hard drive fails, you have to purchase a new Xbox hard drive because Microsoft puts in in a proprietary shell and I believe with custom firmware, and then download everything from Live again.

Technically, you're right. But, it is very possible to backup and restore a new hdd that is not branded for the Xbox 360. As long as you have a Windows PC, you can back up a 360's hdd. I know, I've done it multiple times, on multiple 360's, since owning the original white 20gb Xbox 360 when it first came out. It's not as easy as the PS3's on-board back up system, but the way it's done is pretty much the same, just done outside Xbox 360. I believe what you might be referring to is the Xbox Live backup, which actually does not back up everything. I just did an hdd upgrade with a friends slim 360, so I know everything is still the same and working. The things that do not backup consistently are download content, but are usually fixed through XBL. When upgrading(not really sure if there is a new method), you have to restore a copied firmware on the new hdd, then either use a program(on PC) or an xbox transfer kit to move data(if it's a genuine Xbox 360 hdd that already has the firmware running). This method is for using non-Xbox hdds, and is the way I've learned from XboxScene when the 360 first came out. If you already have an xbox hdd that is larger than your current one, you can just use the transfer kit. I always use the PC way because I can choose what firmware I want to start with, and I can get more consistent backups, as well as picking what I want to be saved in the backup. The 4gb stock slim 360 only needed a caddy and firmware update to use the new 250gb WD-Scorpio Black. I also tested a swap of the old 360's 120gb hdd into the new slim(pretty close to when the slim 360 first came out), and it worked perfectly.
Note: this does not void your 360's warranty. It also has no negative XBL ramification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, out of those who are up to date with the current news, what is your opinion on this Xbox One used game debacle?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
So, out of those who are up to date with the current news, what is your opinion on this Xbox One used game debacle?

Im not a big gamer by any means. With my iPhone5 and iPad Mini there are very few. Take my iPad Mini, i have 120 Odd Apps on it and less than 20 are games. I like the sit down relax thinking take a long time to take a move games.
But i was disappointed with the Xbox One Launch. I didn't stay up and watch it but from what i have read online so far is very little, meaning they haven't really devolved much about it, apart from what it looks like, and the feature. So, very light on actual details. No price, no release date, no timing information NOTHING really.

They have done very poorly, as the MAIN feature of this new Xbox is Live TV, basically turning the normal Flatscreens people have now that isn't a Smart TV into a Smart TV. They say that Live TV will only be available in the US on release, and thats in the hope they release the Xbox in all major territories by the end of the year, and to add insult to injury, they say they will release Live TV to the rest of the world in time.

I have LG's latest Smart TV LED 3D 47" and to be honest, apart from being able to pause and play live TV and the ability to record i don't use the Smart side of it a great deal. 3D is amazing on it, IF the shoe is made for 3D but if i turn on the 3D its watchable but not as deep as i would like.
MS are not releasing anything to Developers atm for making games, and ANY Xbox 360 games now will be Obsolete with the new Xbox one.

IMHO i think they have jumped the gun and released this now, maybe in the thought Apple will be releasing details of the rumoured TV that could or could not be shown at WWDC.

So in conclusion, im not impressed with it. Better graphics WOW Not. . . . . . . Live TV Meh. . . . . Obsolete 360 games Arrrggghhhhh . . . . . Price Rob a bank

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I agree. I'm sure the gaming graphics will be great compared to what we have now on consoles, but I got slightly put off by the way they decided to focus so much on everything else besides the most important fact: it's a gaming machine. This being a gaming console, they spent so much time talking about TV capabilities and being able to Skype on it. How ridiculous! Are people really going to use their xbox to watch TV?? I understand for those special occasions during major sporting events, but constantly watching TV on it? Also, the most notable capabilities with the One seem to function via Kinect. How does it function without it? The same as the 360? If so, their whole presentation is based on Kinect and is pretty useless to me.
The locked games to a single profile thing is also something that reeks of greed. You've got to be real greedy to put in place such level of used game controls. Now game studios and manufacturers can perpetually profit from one single game being sold, from when it's new in wrapper, to every time it's resold as used. That's messed up in my opinion. I hope the PS4 does not go this route. If they do, looks like I'm going to be holding on to the current gens for much longer.

I'm sure we will learn more about the gaming side at E3, however, as of right now, it will have to pull a bunny out of their slot-loading drive to get me interested.

PS: I'm still loving my LG 3d 60" as if I just got it yesterday. I know exactly what you mean about the 3D. It's too much of a hassle to convert to 3D. Still looks decent, but not worth it, especially when you are the only person who knows, and your friends are asking why the 3D is so weak.

Edit: One other thing about the One. I don't know if this is 100% true, but supposedly it's mandatory that Kinect be connected at all times, and needs to be on, for you to play a game, or even use the system. Why???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Edit: One other thing about the One. I don't know if this is 100% true, but supposedly it's mandatory that Kinect be connected at all times, and needs to be on, for you to play a game, or even use the system. Why???

Exactly and it would want to be a Major improvement on the old Kinect, especially for those single soles that live in 1 bedroom flats where you haven't got 6' to play with and get out of the Red Zone or it won't work. That killed me when i was in that situation and i had my son over, i had to rearrange the whole house just so he could play Kinect games.

I for one didn't enjoy using my hands waving like a lunatic to set things up and get into the game :Angry:

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Exactly and it would want to be a Major improvement on the old Kinect, especially for those single soles that live in 1 bedroom flats where you haven't got 6' to play with and get out of the Red Zone or it won't work. That killed me when i was in that situation and i had my son over, i had to rearrange the whole house just so he could play Kinect games.

I for one didn't enjoy using my hands waving like a lunatic to set things up and get into the game :Angry:

I heard that even if the system is off the Kinect is still on and is constantly listening. I'm not comfortable paying a company money to spy on me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I heard that even if the system is off the Kinect is still on and is constantly listening. I'm not comfortable paying a company money to spy on me.

For sure agree with that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
I'm not sure if I'm going to get one, at least not right away. I may change my tune though. But the darn thing just seems like overkill for me. It does so much. Still, I don't think the design principles are wrong -- having a central hub that manages all your digital content might work pretty well for a lot of people.

I have a 360, and the main reason I bought it was for Kinect and the fact that there were certain games that were hard to find on PC anymore, like a decent hockey sim, Forza, etc. If the Xbox One has some killer features or games that I just have to have, then I might get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Out of the two, I'll be getting a PS4. Most of the game developers that make the games I really enjoy playing are all on the Playstation platform and based off of what I saw at the two conferences, it seems like Sony is really trying to foster and grow the gaming industry with indie devs being able to self publish on PSN and designing the hardware around what developers wanted.

Microsoft just seems more concerned about competing with Apple in every product it makes now. I was watching the XBox conference and all I could think of is "wow this looks like something Apple would try and make... but done poorly". I mean, who wants to have that giant Kinnect thing right in front of your TV all the time? It's ugly. At least the Playstation camera is only required when you want to play Move-based games. Kinnect seems integrated in every aspect of the XBox One.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Out of the two, I'll be getting a PS4. Most of the game developers that make the games I really enjoy playing are all on the Playstation platform and based off of what I saw at the two conferences, it seems like Sony is really trying to foster and grow the gaming industry with indie devs being able to self publish on PSN and designing the hardware around what developers wanted.

Microsoft just seems more concerned about competing with Apple in every product it makes now. I was watching the XBox conference and all I could think of is "wow this looks like something Apple would try and make... but done poorly". I mean, who wants to have that giant Kinnect thing right in front of your TV all the time? It's ugly. At least the Playstation camera is only required when you want to play Move-based games. Kinnect seems integrated in every aspect of the XBox One.

Well to be fair that Xbox One conference was just a part of what it can do. I'm sure when E3 comes along they will show us the gaming aspect of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but it seems, from my experience, that GameStop workers HATE the Playstation. I was in there just killing time one yesterday before an appointment, and they were going crazzzy attacking Sony, PS3/4, and PSN. They were making claims about Sony is creating a monthly charge for online like XBL, and going onboard with the same game exchange plans as the Xbox1. I knew he was full of crap, so I asked him what source did he hear this from, and he replied, "oh, just rumors floating around." I've been noticing this kind of hate from Gamestop workers for a while now, and is now really noticeable. I think they're still in pain over the Xbox1 conference, and lashing out on the PS4. Personally, I wish the PS4 comes out without changing current new/used game tactics, as Microsoft ruins Gamestop. It will make the media exchange stores even better.

6/10/2013. We shall see. That is all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but it seems, from my experience, that GameStop workers HATE the Playstation. I was in there just killing time one yesterday before an appointment, and they were going crazzzy attacking Sony, PS3/4, and PSN. They were making claims about Sony is creating a monthly charge for online like XBL, and going onboard with the same game exchange plans as the Xbox1. I knew he was full of crap, so I asked him what source did he hear this from, and he replied, "oh, just rumors floating around." I've been noticing this kind of hate from Gamestop workers for a while now, and is now really noticeable. I think they're still in pain over the Xbox1 conference, and lashing out on the PS4. Personally, I wish the PS4 comes out without changing current new/used game tactics, as Microsoft ruins Gamestop. It will make the media exchange stores even better.

6/10/2013. We shall see. That is all.

It might just be your area. The employees at the stores in my area never show any bias toward any system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I just came back from GameStop actually (picked up Forza Horizon for the 360), and I had a short chat with the clerk about the new consoles. He didn't sound like a fanboy of anything in particular, although he did say he thinks the PS4 might be for hardcore gamers whereas the One would appeal to people who need something that does it all (and would they simply just buy a cheaper One with all the media stuff stripped out if they had a chance?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The PS4 unveiling certainly didn't disappoint. Can't wait to get one!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The PS4 unveiling certainly didn't disappoint. Can't wait to get one!!

Looks good at that price. Do you know if the Sony games will only be Online or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Looks good at that price. Do you know if the Sony games will only be Online or not?

Both. The console will remain a disc-based gaming system with the new cloud and PS+ account adding more features. No used game limitations, and online limits. No DRM. No camera tracking requirement. Makes me wonder where M$FT went so horribly wrong.
PS+ is now required to play online, but I have it and don't believe it's an issue. Plus, having PS+ doesn't stop you from using other programs that require an internet connection(Netflix, etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, with both systems out, what have you picked up?

I had the One reserved(because the PS4 were not available for reservations), but ended up canceling it for other reasons. I waited in line Sunday morning before Thanksgiving at BestBuy and went home with a PS4.
I have to say, I'm really liking everything so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have either, but I kind of want both, basically because some of the new games look interesting to me. Don't know when or if I'm going to pull the trigger on these new consoles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.