• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Xbox 360 Games are Made on MAC !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Since the new Xbox 360 is based on PowerPC processor i guess is logic to use a G5 to help development. I wish this help somehow to getmore games for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
N/A yet
mraya said:
Since the new Xbox 360 is based on PowerPC processor i guess is logic to use a G5 to help development. I wish this help somehow to getmore games for Mac.

Well there is also a myth that Xbox 360 games will run on a Mac. There is also a site that has tons of Mac games called www.applegames.com. Another thing is if you want gaming you should just get a PC

W

whoriental

You guys with tiger can use your fancy new translator widgets, thats what i did

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
lilimacfreak said:
Well there is also a myth that Xbox 360 games will run on a Mac.

What makes you think this is a myth?

The Xbox2 will be ATI & PPC based and games will be developed on PowerMacs so what is stopping the games being played on Apple hardware exactly?

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Amen-Moses said:
What makes you think this is a myth?

The Xbox2 will be ATI & PPC based and games will be developed on PowerMacs so what is stopping the games being played on Apple hardware exactly?

Amen-Moses

Finally a useful thing to do with my G5 :D

E

embries

It's apples and oranges, though, for playing the game. Consider the movie industry in which a single frame can be edited on 1 machine. Does this mean that the machine can effectively render the image? No. For rendering the image is sent to a huge server farm where hundreds of processors go about the task of rendering. What makes sense to say does not always make sense in practicality. If it were a simple case of hardware compatibility, how come there are no viable XBOX emulators for the PC. Considering the XBOX is a P3 733 with an NVIDIA gpu it should be child's play for modern PCs to play XBOX games, and yet the very few games which work on the current emulators run much slower than on the acutal XBOX console. Why you ask? Because the software is developed for a custom OS that is proprietary to MS. The same will be true for the XBOX 360. Now if someone were to get creative and get the OS we stand a fighting chance of getting the games to run on a G5. However, getting the OS coded for standard G5 Macs will be neigh on impossible. It'll be interesting to see where we are a year from now on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
embries said:
Now if someone were to get creative and get the OS we stand a fighting chance of getting the games to run on a G5. However, getting the OS coded for standard G5 Macs will be neigh on impossible. It'll be interesting to see where we are a year from now on this.

LOL...I just bet an MS OS would be really popular running on a Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
dan828 said:
LOL...I just bet an MS OS would be really popular running on a Mac...

Actually, the OS running on the G5s that MS uses as Xbox 360 development kits is a special version of WindowsNT.
WindowsNT actualy was available for other CPUs than Intel/AMD, including the PowerPC and DEC Alpha CPUs.

That means:
Xbox 360 games are not developped on OS X (thus will NOT run natively on a Mac).
The Xbox 360 is not a stripped down PowerMac G5, and eventhough it's CPU might be of the same family and architecture it is NOT the same thing.
A computer (and a gaming console) is made of more than just the CPU...using the same CPU (which it's not anyway) doesn't make it the same device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Avalon said:
Actually, the OS running on the G5s that MS uses as Xbox 360 development kits is a special version of WindowsNT.
WindowsNT actualy was available for other CPUs than Intel/AMD, including the PowerPC and DEC Alpha CPUs.

That means:
Xbox 360 games are not developped on OS X (thus will NOT run natively on a Mac).
The Xbox 360 is not a stripped down PowerMac G5, and eventhough it's CPU might be of the same family and architecture it is NOT the same thing.
A computer (and a gaming console) is made of more than just the CPU...using the same CPU (which it's not anyway) doesn't make it the same device.

Did anyone make these claims?

Personally I have no problem dual booting into NT(ish) to play Xbox games. ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Amen-Moses said:
Did anyone make these claims?

Personally I have no problem dual booting into NT(ish) to play Xbox games. ;)

Amen-Moses

I read it on different places, quite a while ago. Sorry, but I didn't keep the links.

Moving the mouse cursor under NT(ish) with the controller might be quite a challenge...if NT has the drivers for it :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Avalon said:

Yeah, but I think they quit supporting non- x86 chips back in 1999 or so, so I think the last version compatible with Power PC was something like NT 3.5. Interesting if they just updated the old NT OS to run on a G5 as an XBOX 360 development platform. It makes sense I suppose-- much cheaper to use what's on the shelf allready then to reinvent everything from scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dan828 said:
Yeah, but I think they quit supporting non- x86 chips back in 1999 or so, so I think the last version compatible with Power PC was something like NT 3.5. Interesting if they just updated the old NT OS to run on a G5 as an XBOX 360 development platform. It makes sense I suppose-- much cheaper to use what's on the shelf allready then to reinvent everything from scratch.

They probably used bits of VPC.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.