• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

X Box 360 vs PS3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
M
I've always noticed that the quality of graphics on the PS3 overall is much better than the Xbox.

Probably the Blu-Ray kicking in there. Uncompressed audio, 24p

Yeah. View that on a 1080 (i or p) capable screen, with HDMI and Dolby Digital 7.1, then hold on to your seat because the picture and image quality couldn't get better in the home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Probably the Blu-Ray kicking in there. Uncompressed audio, 24p

Yeah. View that on a 1080 (i or p) capable screen, with HDMI and Dolby Digital 7.1, then hold on to your seat because the picture and image quality couldn't get better in the home.

Well I've got a 1080p TV already, so I'm half-way there. :) I highly recommend the Sharp Aquos LCD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I currently have an Xbox 360 and a Wii. I had a PS3 before those. I have to say that I like the overall feel of the 360 better than the PS3. The controller feels better and it just seems like the playability is better. I know the PS3 is a more powerful system but the graphics look the same to me and I don't have/watch anything on Blu-Ray. I think it really just boils down to personal preference and what games you play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB
As I have both systems I can easily tell you the difference.

PS3
Graphics seem better, Playstation Network is Free, Blu-Ray Player, Wireless Built In, Controllers are better on PS3 as battery is built in, Motion Sensor in controller. Quieter in terms of fans and playing games.

Xbox
£14.99 3 months Xbox Live Gold, Wireless Adapter £50, Cannot play Blu-Rays and can only player HD-DVDs which are being phased out, Controller Battery looks and feels horrible on the bottom, Controller seems to be built better, Backwards Compatibility with Xbox games, It is also quite loud when playing a game and the disc is spinning.

My Xbox is currently on the floor on a towel to tone down the noise going through the house but I can still hear it downstairs. Xbox seems to be more sociable as the Elite comes with Headset.

Personally I will always prefer the PS3 BUT READ THE NEXT BIT:

Project Natal Due in 2010
This is something Microsoft have been working on for years and it could blow all other games consoles out of the water. It is a motion sensing bar with camera and Microphone with a virtual world game. The game is like a little boy in a virtual world and you can talk to him. It can detect the tone of your voice and notice what sort of mood your in. You can also make the kid a drawing which you can "Virtually" pass to him and it will read it and recognise it.

GO TO THIS LINK AND WATCH THE SECOND VIDEO: BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft unveil new controller

It is a fantastic piece of kit and judging by the amount of time Microsoft are taking to produce it I don't think they are rushing it so it should be fantastic.

That video is quite old but Project Natal is due to be released this year at some point.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
wohhhhh thats wildddd....its a little creepy. but i cant believe this technology is soo close to coming out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
I don't know what all the fuss is about with Natal imo it's going to suck!! I'd rather just sit down with a controller and play games not stand up and wave my arms about like a mad man! haa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
I don't know what all the fuss is about with Natal imo it's going to suck!! I'd rather just sit down with a controller and play games not stand up and wave my arms about like a mad man! haa

I too would rather just sit down, but look at the success of the wii. Parents are a lot more encouraged to buy their kid a gaming system when they know their children can get some exercise out of it. I myself will not be interested in these body movement games until they are close to perfected. Right now they are very rough and you can only do limited movements. I might become interested when they become more realistic.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Do you have a beer belly yet? :p

Project Natal Due in 2010
This is something Microsoft have been working on for years and it could blow all other games consoles out of the water. It is a motion sensing bar with camera and Microphone with a virtual world game. The game is like a little boy in a virtual world and you can talk to him. It can detect the tone of your voice and notice what sort of mood your in. You can also make the kid a drawing which you can "Virtually" pass to him and it will read it and recognise it.

Seems a bit weird to me....as I can already do that in real life.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
haha nope! Probably a bit underweight to be honest xD

Oh so you are like ones of those people...>_>" that can eat anything they want and not gain any weight.

LOL me too. ^-^" It's so hard to gain weight...I just lost 2lbs and I'm not even sure how that happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
As I have both systems I can easily tell you the difference.

PS3
Graphics seem better, Playstation Network is Free, Blu-Ray Player, Wireless Built In, Controllers are better on PS3 as battery is built in, Motion Sensor in controller. Quieter in terms of fans and playing games.

Xbox
£14.99 3 months Xbox Live Gold, Wireless Adapter £50, Cannot play Blu-Rays and can only player HD-DVDs which are being phased out, Controller Battery looks and feels horrible on the bottom, Controller seems to be built better, Backwards Compatibility with Xbox games, It is also quite loud when playing a game and the disc is spinning.

My PS3 is backwards compatible. I play the god of war and Final Fantasy PS 2 games on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

+1. I usually play games to relax and have fun after spending a day running around crazy like and not getting a moment's peace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB
My PS3 is backwards compatible. I play the god of war and Final Fantasy PS 2 games on it.

I may be wrong but I'm guessing you have the old type of PS3 that is either 20GB, 60GB or 80GB. Those were backwards compatible.

The old ones are or have been phased out.

The new slim ones are not backwards compatible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Oh so you are like ones of those people...>_>" that can eat anything they want and not gain any weight.

LOL me too. ^-^" It's so hard to gain weight...I just lost 2lbs and I'm not even sure how that happened.

haha yeah that's me all over!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eat more protein. :)

Awe I guess 4 hamburgers in one sitting is not enough protein? T_T"

Well it seems to me that the people that like to play online usually get a XboX. >_>" Again I really think it comes down to what kind of games you like to play. Sometimes there are version exclusives and that what makes you want to get one or the other.

I really love Star Ocean...and when I heard that the XboX was getting and and the PS3 was not...you can guess how mad I was at first, and then I eventually ended up getting an XboX.

Now they are releasing it for the PS3 but with more content...why do they do this to us? T_T"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
As you can tell from the opinions of many people on these fine forums, its a tough decision. The best thing for you (the OP) to do is look at which games you want to play and which system has em. If its a multi-platform game, keep in mind they usually play better on the 360 for some reason (not all, but most of em that I've tried on both systems). However, in my opinion the PS3 is better made (hardware wise) than the 360. I'm on my 3rd 360 due to hardware issues (red ring of death) and the noise can be unbearable at times.
I still play a crap load of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on the 360 with my friends. Overall I prefer the 360 for shooter games. The controllers are just natural for shooters.
For fighting games, I prefer the PS3 because the controllers are better suited for that style of play. These are just a couple of examples. It really comes down to your personal taste.
Just an fyi, Sony is in talks with sega to release Dreamcast games on PSN. They are also looking into creating an emulator that allows you to play PS2 games on a PS3 console. That would be sweet!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you can tell from the opinions of many people on these fine forums, its a tough decision. The best thing for you (the OP) to do is look at which games you want to play and which system has em. If its a multi-platform game, keep in mind they usually play better on the 360 for some reason (not all, but most of em that I've tried on both systems). However, in my opinion the PS3 is better made (hardware wise) than the 360. I'm on my 3rd 360 due to hardware issues (red ring of death) and the noise can be unbearable at times.
I still play a crap load of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on the 360 with my friends. Overall I prefer the 360 for shooter games. The controllers are just natural for shooters.
For fighting games, I prefer the PS3 because the controllers are better suited for that style of play. These are just a couple of examples. It really comes down to your personal taste.
Just an fyi, Sony is in talks with sega to release Dreamcast games on PSN. They are also looking into creating an emulator that allows you to play PS2 games on a PS3 console. That would be sweet!

Do you have a link to this?

Reaction score
personally, i like the ps3 over the xbox 360. I never really understood the reason behind the wii though....

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
hey i put a password on my router so nobody can access my web w.o my password. my PS3 wont let me log on wireless even wen i put in the WPA key, i secured my router WPA not WEP....does anybody know how to solve this problem?!?!??????

Thanks,
-Anthony

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.