WRT54G - Where to begin?

• Thread starter TheMonkeyProjec
  • Start date
OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

I got it!! thank you guys so much. Believe it or not I used to be the go to guy for all my friends when they had computer problems...haha...but that was back when when win98 was pretty common. Oh well....now to get the xbox setup. Thanks again!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
Once it set up, you can disconnect the hard wire, sorry if I wasn't clear before. The cable connection is all about the initial setup. Once you have established admin over the router you can do anything you want wirelessly. So, cut the cord!

I would forget about MAC address authentication. It works, but it is easily defeated with spoof addresses. I don't know what you mean by WEP2, the whole WEP scheme is pretty weak. I would go straight to WPA with a really good password. Yes, your Xbox will also work.
mac address filtering is one of the most secure ways to protect your wireless connection. you have to set it up to only accept your wireless mac address. this way the people who want to break into your router have to know your mac address to be able to get through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
mac address filtering is one of the most secure ways to protect your wireless connection. you have to set it up to only accept your wireless mac address. this way the people who want to break into your router have to know your mac address to be able to get through.

MAC address filtering can be very effective, but should always be used in conjunction with other security measures, such as WPA 2. The unfortunate part of it is that when you have guests over who need to use your Internet connection, you'll have to deal with setting them up on your connection.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
MAC address filtering can be very effective, but should always be used in conjunction with other security measures, such as WPA 2. The unfortunate part of it is that when you have guests over who need to use your Internet connection, you'll have to deal with setting them up on your connection.

Agreed - there's a couple of issues with MAC filtering on its own. For one, all of your data is transmitted unencrypted (plain text) and open to interception. Secondly, all one has to do is run a packet sniffer to detect the allowed MACs, then simply wait for one to drop off, spoof that address and jump on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.