Without books, whats the point?

Reaction score
Most plugins are still developed by 3rd parties.

Even with a plugin, it's still up to the content providers to use it or not.

The movie studios are not going to allow Netflix, hulu, or any others stream their content without some form of DRM or in a way that could be easily saved to disk.

I didn't say we should be able to save them on a disk.

Reaction score
I understand that Apple wants to protect their own assets but I use Netflix because I didn't want to download pirated movies but paying $15 a movie on iTunes is not a good solution for me either. So it's either you download pirated movies and upload them to your future iPad, or you pay Apple to get them. When will movie studios/distributors finally understand that more people would pay for movies or music if that was cheaper? I know it takes lots of money to make a movie or a CD, but I am sure that more people would buy movies on iTunes if they were cheaper. Albums on iTunes are at a reasonable price, movies aren't. Movies are not something you watch 10 times a week. You listen to an album all the time.

Apple should also think about these reasons why people would buy an iPad or not. Regarding the fact that there are so many people using Netflix these days, these people might be potential customers for Apple willing to buy an iPad to watch movie on the go as long as they have a Wi Fi connection. Of course, I wouldn't see Steve Jobs saying "Look, you can also watch thousands of movies for $10 a month on Netflix on our new gadget with its beautiful screen if ya don't wanna pay us lots of dollars to download our movies" lol.

I agree with your general sentiments here. I would be much more inclined to buy movies direct from iTunes if they weren't so offensively priced. The movies downloaded in iTunes create no eco-footprint, and there are no physical products to be touched there, so them charging $10+ for each one is pretty stupid in my opinion. I wish the big corporations looked out for the consumer in cases like this, because everyone would be better off with open resources like Netflix on the iProducts.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
An album also doesn't cost 25-100 million dollars plus to put out either.

When will people learn self control. If an item you would like to have is priced too high, wait for it to come down in price or pay for it when it hits the price you feel it is worth. According to your theory, $10 for an album is totally unreasonable for many or the piracy of music wouldn't still be rampant today. There is still a remnant of us out here that don't believe we have the right to steal something because the asking price for it is too high. Saying "I'm going to steal your stuff because you want $20, but if you come down to $10 I'll pay for it" is totally ludicrous imho. That's nothing more than a statement for the thief to set their own mind at ease that his theft is ok.

I believe the price is too high also and do exactly what I have suggested. I have a collection of DVD, HD-DVD & B-R that is hitting the 1,000 number mark. Of course, I've been an early adopter of technology since I moved away from home and started making my own money and moved to DVD and the widescreen format within a couple of months of it's release. So that represents, I don't remember what year that was (around '95 maybe), over 15 years of collecting. The average price I've paid for my DVDs is under $7 each. The average price for the HD-DVD and B-R titles sitting on my shelf is for sure under $15 and could be as low as $13. There are a very few that I'll pay even Amazon's full price for. Yes, it takes keeping an eye on the titles you want to scarf them up when they're on sale.

But at $15 a pop for a B-R today, that's cheaper than two going to the matinee and purchasing a single popcorn and drink. The excuse is gone for this type of theft, except for those who like to brag about the size of their home library.

edit: Just as an example, I'd been wanting the seasons of Lost on B-R. Now I could have gone and gotten pirated copies of it when they were $60-70 a season. But I waited, and the wait payed off, as I picked them up for just over $30 a season, on B-R, during a sale a few weeks ago. For those that $30 a season is still too high, they were only $10 a season on DVD at that same time. Sorry, but I have no empathy for the "gotta have it now, and if I don't have the money to pay for it, I'm gonna steal it" crowd.

Reaction score
An album also doesn't cost 25-100 million dollars plus to put out either.

When will people learn self control. If an item you would like to have is priced too high, wait for it to come down in price or pay for it when it hits the price you feel it is worth. According to your theory, $10 for an album is totally unreasonable for many or the piracy of music wouldn't still be rampant today. There is still a remnant of us out here that don't believe we have the right to steal something because the asking price for it is too high. Saying "I'm going to steal your stuff because you want $20, but if you come down to $10 I'll pay for it" is totally ludicrous imho. That's nothing more than a statement for the thief to set their own mind at ease that his theft is ok.

I believe the price is too high also and do exactly what I have suggested. I have a collection of DVD, HD-DVD & B-R that is hitting the 1,000 number mark. Of course, I've been an early adopter of technology since I moved away from home and started making my own money and moved to DVD and the widescreen format within a couple of months of it's release. So that represents, I don't remember what year that was (around '95 maybe), over 15 years of collecting. The average price I've paid for my DVDs is under $7 each. The average price for the HD-DVD and B-R titles sitting on my shelf is for sure under $15 and could be as low as $13. There are a very few that I'll pay even Amazon's full price for. Yes, it takes keeping an eye on the titles you want to scarf them up when they're on sale.

But at $15 a pop for a B-R today, that's cheaper than two going to the matinee and purchasing a single popcorn and drink. The excuse is gone for this type of theft, except for those who like to brag about the size of their home library.

edit: Just as an example, I'd been wanting the seasons of Lost on B-R. Now I could have gone and gotten pirated copies of it when they were $60-70 a season. But I waited, and the wait payed off, as I picked them up for just over $30 a season, on B-R, during a sale a few weeks ago. For those that $30 a season is still too high, they were only $10 a season on DVD at that same time. Sorry, but I have no empathy for the "gotta have it now, and if I don't have the money to pay for it, I'm gonna steal it" crowd.

I'm not condoning theft of anything, so don't assume that's what I'm saying. I am not trying to make arguments for the people that do steal music, what I am saying, however, is that I personally refuse to buy any music from iTunes, same with movies. I won't do it. I'd rather spend 3 bucks more at Target and have the physical CD to do with what I want. If I want to burn copies of the CD's and movies that I buy, I am entitled to do so. I don't distribute them, so it's not illegal. Don't imply that I'm part of the stealing crowd because quite simply, you just don't know. And if we're being candid, I'll just say it, paying 15 dollars for a digital copy of any movie is pointless. Why pay 15 bucks for something that doesn't work on anything but iProducts? It's a completely senseless thing to do. I have a ton of music, 76 GB's worth, that I have either bought myself, or gotten from friends. Are they thieves because they put their ripped music on my computer? I don't think so. No one is distributing anything publicly. Get off the high horse and remember, as long as technology is as advanced as it is, piracy will ALWAYS be a problem. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm not condoning theft of anything, so don't assume that's what I'm saying. I am not trying to make arguments for the people that do steal music, what I am saying, however, is that I personally refuse to buy any music from iTunes, same with movies. I won't do it. I'd rather spend 3 bucks more at Target and have the physical CD to do with what I want. If I want to burn copies of the CD's and movies that I buy, I am entitled to do so. I don't distribute them, so it's not illegal. Don't imply that I'm part of the stealing crowd because quite simply, you just don't know. And if we're being candid, I'll just say it, paying 15 dollars for a digital copy of any movie is pointless. Why pay 15 bucks for something that doesn't work on anything but iProducts? It's a completely senseless thing to do. I have a ton of music, 76 GB's worth, that I have either bought myself, or gotten from friends. Are they thieves because they put their ripped music on my computer? I don't think so. No one is distributing anything publicly. Get off the high horse and remember, as long as technology is as advanced as it is, piracy will ALWAYS be a problem. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.

Don't recall that I mentioned your post or accused you or anyone else of anything. I don't even find in your last couple of posts the mention of pirating nor the reason some feel it is ok. You seem to have had the right attitude in that if it's overpriced then don't buy it. That's the marketplace. All I can say now, is that someone must have a guilty conscience.

And yes - your friends ripping the music to their own computers for their own enjoyment would not be pirating. Ripping your friends music to your computer and taking it with you for your enjoyment would be pirating, no matter how you slice it. As you said "Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is".

Reaction score
I think that bob's post about pirating and theft was for me :)

I never said pirating is good or that people who actually do it are somehow right to do it because many CDs or DVDs are overpriced. My point was that if distributors would lower the price of CDs and DVDs when they are released, there would be much more people buying them.

Alas we all want everything right now. The success of Netflix is due to the fact that you pay a little amount every month to watch an unlimited number of movies/tv shows. Many of my friends stopped downloading pirated movies and paid something to Netflix because it was affordable. I know if you can't afford it then just don't do it but come on, let's be realistic here, nowadays people want more and more for cheaper and cheaper. I'm not saying it's right, but what I'm saying is that distributors would make lots more money by lowering the price of a CD/DVD and reduce theft and pirating.

Apple has to look at both end of the spectrum I think.

Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Don't recall that I mentioned your post or accused you or anyone else of anything. I don't even find in your last couple of posts the mention of pirating nor the reason some feel it is ok. You seem to have had the right attitude in that if it's overpriced then don't buy it. That's the marketplace. All I can say now, is that someone must have a guilty conscience.

And yes - your friends ripping the music to their own computers for their own enjoyment would not be pirating. Ripping your friends music to your computer and taking it with you for your enjoyment would be pirating, no matter how you slice it. As you said "Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is".

My apologies, I thought you were talking to me directly. I had my boxing gloves on, lol. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The only downside of things like netflix is you're streaming video instead on owning it of a disc. And a lot of streaming equals a lot of bandwith used up and heavy bandwith usage can be come quite expensive. So this to me is a hidden cost in using a lot of places liek netflix.

Reaction score
The only downside of things like netflix is you're streaming video instead on owning it of a disc. And a lot of streaming equals a lot of bandwith used up and heavy bandwith usage can be come quite expensive. So this to me is a hidden cost in using a lot of places liek netflix.

Expensive? I don't understand what you're saying. Since when do you pay more when using more bandwith with wifi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
3G. I was refering to 3G. And not Wi-Fi as it has no cost.

C

chas_m

Actually, most internet service providers DO have some kind of "cap" on bandwidth, although it's usually pretty high. If you run over, however, you can either get a warning, be forcibly moved to a more expensive "tier," or hit with overage charges.

This is another reason why streaming/renting from iTunes beats using P2P to pirate movies. With iTunes, you are downloading a movie file, but you upload NOTHING. With most P2P arrangements, you are expected to upload at LEAST as much as you download.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.