Wireless mice recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The thing is, I hear from folks having problems with Bluetooth way too often. I much prefer Logitech's RF wireless mice. Their little dongle takes up a USB port, but they are inexpensive and bulletproof.

You can add me to your list if you like regarding Bluetooth mice, and I believe the only exception was a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse I once tried, otherwise they all acted as if they had gone to sleep and I had to wait for them to wake up whenever I wanted to move it to do anyting. I have been avoiding them ever since trying them as I've never had trouble with USB Wireless or wired mice.

Now if I can only figure out why my Logitech wireless USB M705 has decided to occasionally go jerky when tracking and or scrolling especially schooling when it has worked so beautifully well and smoothly for years, but that's another topic for another thread sometime later... It seems like it might be to do with the USB transmitter going Goofy but I am still working on the problem... And have even Incorporated some third-party Mouse Smoothing Preference Panes that seemed to help... sometimes... Most annoying...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Now if I can only figure out why my Logitech wireless USB M705 has decided to occasionally go jerky when tracking and or scrolling especially schooling when it has worked so beautifully well and smoothly for years...

I've had wireless mice get hinky because the little lens on the bottom had schmotz on it and it needed to be cleaned with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

I've also had them start giving trouble because my mouse pad was too dirty. (They can build up a surprising layer of crud.) A quick scrub with some dish soap fixes things.

But the nice thing about the Logitech M310 that I prefer is that they are often on sale for only $10. When I see them on sale I grab a few and bank them. They don't often fail, but when one does, it isn't worth my time to spend a lot of time troubleshooting it. I break out a new one and go on with my work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking at a couple of BT Mice

Here's another review in case you need it:

Don't forget to check whichever one you do choose that it is compatible with the Mac OS version you are using. Not all mice are fully Mac compatible. Check the specs, I was surprised to discover this with a Logitech mouse I was trying out, sorry but I don't remember the exact model, but it was not a Bluetooth model.

PS: unless a lot of things have changed, I would make sure that the Bluetooth mouse you buy is returnable as many that I have tried out over the years seemed to have a horrible delay and lag for many of its operations that drove me crazy and I was very glad to be able to return it, even if it was on sale at a very good price. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have small hands and I like to use the trackpad along with a mouse when I am working. Yes, I know that is strange but you can use both at the same time. It's a coordination thing. Anyway....

This is my mouse which does not irritate my carpal tunnel ($16.99): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018Y0RWNA/?tag=macforums0e4-20

I have an OWC hub that the receiver plugs into but I also use these adapters and love them ($9.99 for 2):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVX3516/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Mouse preference tends to be personal. If you can check them out first that is best.

Just my two cents.

Lisa

Reaction score
Don't forget to check whichever one you do choose that it is compatible with the Mac OS version you are using. Not all mice are fully Mac compatible.

I used to write the "Input Devices" chapter for The Macintosh Bible. I've never encountered a USB mouse that wasn't nominally compatible with the Macintosh. For those few that had extra buttons and extended features that didn't include Macintosh drivers, if the developer didn't offer downloadable Macintosh drivers to enable the extra features, the extra features could be enabled using:

SteerMouse ($20)
http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

or

USB Overdrive ($20)
https://www.usboverdrive.com/

Check the specs, I was surprised to discover this with a Logitech mouse I was trying out, sorry but I don't remember the exact model, but it was not a Bluetooth model.

Logitech doesn't do a good job of telling their customers that they offer excellent Macintosh drivers available (for extended mouse features) that you can download for free:

https://www.drivers-logitech.com/category/bluetooth-wireless/

PS: unless a lot of things have changed, I would make sure that the Bluetooth mouse you buy is returnable...

Always an excellent idea when purchasing any computer equipment or accessories, especially via mail order.

as many that I have tried out over the years seemed to have a horrible delay and lag for many of its operations .

This used to be the case with the first generation of optical mice. But I haven't seen this problem in many years now. I guess that it could conceivably crop up if you purchased an extremely cheap no-name brand mouse. But it's simply not a problem anymore for brand name mice. Of course, if you have a Staples or Best Buy nearby (for those of you in the U.S.), it's always a good idea to try out any mouse that you are considering in the store first. Like keyboards, which mice that you like and which ones that you don't like, is a very individual thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
What makes you unhappy with it? I have, and am very happy with, the second gen Magic Mouse from Apple, but what I like you may not.

EDIT: This one: Magic Mouse - Black Multi-Touch Surface
Apple seems to have ironed out the BT issues with the recent OS updates, so if you're using 12.5.x I think a BT mouse should be the first choice. I've found that Logitech gadgets consistently play well with the Macs I've owned (iMacs, MBs, and Minis).
I've been using a Gen1 Magic Mouse for years - all the gestures have become instinctive by now, and I think it would be hard to switch to any other device. It's getting a bit glitchy (single clicks sometimes send double-clicks to the Mac) but I'm waiting to see if Apple ends the idiocy of the charging port placement when they roll out the next generation. If not, I'll shop for a used Gen1 on eBay. </rant>

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have a Logitech M337 wireless Bluetooth mouse (no "nubby" thing) and very happy with that paired with my M1 14" MBP.

The little square button on the top initiates Expose by default which is quite handy and I do not need to run any additional software.
The click wheel has a nice positive, graduated action and is non slip, it gets good battery life out of a single AA battery, lasts about 3 months with heavy use and wakes almost instantly from battery saver mode. It is the best medium priced mouse of this type I have found and my wife has one too.
I made an error above, I said the little button behind the scroll wheel initiates Expose, that is incorrect, it initiates Mission Control (because I use both I often get them mixed up).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod said:
I have a Logitech M337 wireless Bluetooth mouse (no "nubby" thing) and very happy with that paired with my M1 14" MBP.

I'm glad to read but you seem to have much better luck than some of the users reviews including the top one:

James Deen
1.0 out of 5 stars STRONG LAG/DELAY WITH MAC M1 / MacBook Air M1
Reviewed in India on May 21, 2021
Verified Purchase
I am using this mouse with an M1 Macbook Air can't believe that no one mentioned this issue in the reviews here. There is a very strong lag/delay of about 50ms (sometimes more) once you power up a bunch of apps. If you only use Chrome and YouTube and you're 80 years old, you may not notice it. The reason I got an M1 is because I like to work fast and this mouse DEFINITELY cannot keep up. The scroll wheel is extremely unresponsive as well. Casual research tells me that the mouse might be stuttering due to driver issues.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017IW92J2/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Do you need to download and use the Logitech Options software to be able to use that completely.

And I read somewhere that the Logitech Options on a Mac needs Mac OS 10.15 or better to run. That seems like pretty high-end specs to me to use a Logitech Bluetooth mouse.

Anyway, glad to read that it works okay for you.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
"50ms" What? Really? That is a "very strong lag/delay?" 50/1000s of a second? Can you even detect that 1/20th of a second? And that's the max, with "bunch of apps" running. The review definitely sounds bogus to me.

krs

Reaction score
"50ms" What? Really? That is a "very strong lag/delay?" 50/1000s of a second? Can you even detect that 1/20th of a second? And that's the max, with "bunch of apps" running. The review definitely sounds bogus to me.
Yes-either that or the reviewer has no clue what 50 msec lag feels like.
According to this article, a 50 ms lag is pretty typical for a BT mouse

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.