Wireless IP Camera - Set up a static IP

Reaction score
I am setting up some surveillance cameras for the house. I am concerned I might be shooting myself in both feet by changing my Mac OS-X operating system to a static IP. I was told this is the best way to go so I can go wireless and be able to view the camera while I am away from my home. Does anyone have experience here.

Also, might someone be able to share with me the procedure for getting my IP camera up and running using my iMac? I seem to be missing a step. The remote camera is from Smartphone and is called a mini-gadget IP Camera (the one that looks like a robot) . My iMac is running wireless, but my iMac is also connected to a Verizon router. But this router is piggy backing from the main Verizon router in another part of the house approximately 800 feet from the main router. Thanks :Oops:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can't help you with the specific setup for the camera I can say that your Macs should have no problems running with a static IP address. Over the last few years I have had at least one Mac on my network with static IP addresses and no real issues.

If you are concerned about that you might be able to set up something similar to what I have at home. Most of my network uses DHCP. I have one or two devices that I prefer to lock to static addresses so I can go directly to them via IP address for troubleshooting. My current router lets me assign the starting and ending numbers for the last digit in the DHCP address pool. So the numbers look something like this (fictitious numbers of course)

10.0.1.1 Main router configured so the last digits of DHCP addresses begin with numbers between 20 and say 100
10.0.1.2 Time Capsule acting as NAS router is off
10.0.1.3 Bridge
10.0.1..4 - 10.0.1.19 Other devices with static IP addresses.
10.0.1.20 -10.0.1.200 Addresses for DHCP devices

Not all of numbers in the static pool are used. There is space here for additional devices if needed. When assigning addresses remember that no two devices can share the same address. You can't for example have a static IPs end in 19 and DHCP pool start with 19.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. That was a bit long-winded. Hope it was not also confusing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. That was a bitlong-winded. Hope it was not also confusing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.