Wipe and reinstall seems to have failed 15" Pro - My first time doing this, thanks

Reaction score
I want to unload my 2007 15" Pro. I put in the original system disk from the original box (Disk 1). I successfully booted from the disk and selected the medium wipe. It said 7 hours. It was going just fine and if I pressed the space bar it came right up and showed me the progress. I saw it was 59 minutes left. I was amazed that I was making this work. A few minutes after that, the screen stays black when I press the space bar. It's now many hours later and it's still the same thing. Screen will not illuminate. It is plugged in. The drive seemed to read the disk just fine when I started the process.

The screen stopped coming up with 45 minutes left on the wipe, unless that 59 minutes I saw was totally inaccurate.

What should I do from here?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It is usually not necessary to go through the heavier wipe sequence when re-installing OS X since erasing and reinstalling the new copy of the OS will sufficiently jigger the bits that were there before to preclude the possibility of anyone resurrecting the prior data. So, go back to the installer and just erase the existing partitions and create a new partition and begin the installation..

OP
J
Reaction score
Looks like I'm up and running. I pulled out the power cord and put it back in. The computer was locked up. It gave me the option to just install, but I'm doing a regular quick wipe now, 1 hour. Then I'll install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.