Windows on a External SSD for MacBook

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a MacBook Pro and want to install windows on an external HDD that I have put into an enclosure. I then plan to run design and drawing software made by AutoDesk. Can anyone tell me if a normal USB connection will suffice for the type of work I am planning to do or will the transfer rates be too slow?

If not, can anyone recommend a suitable alternative? e.g. SSD with USB connection or would that also be too slow? Thunderbolt Enclosure (if one exists) or totally different kind of drive and connection?

Thanks

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day an wel ome

You will hav e to search the 'net tofind a way to install Windows on the external drive as Microsoft has preventedfthis as an anti-piracy measure. No aspersions whatsoever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, w/ Touch Bar) and I own other vintage Macs.
Hi itsmm, Lon TV on YouTube shows how to do it.
. I've actually tried this and it works, but if I remember right, I couldn't get windows to update so I stopped using it. To Harry's point ... he might be on to something, I don't think Windows (even if you have a legal copy) likes having their operating system installed on external drives. Might be why I was having trouble with updates.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.