• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows 11 on imac 2019? Anyone tried?

Reaction score
I have got an 2019 imac with 2tb ssd and 32gb of ram. Not really a fan of mac os but I do like the design of the computer and now thinking to i stall a clean windows on it after formatting the ssd.

Has anyone done that? Ideally to the same model? My thoughts are to boot from usb, format the ssd and install just Windows 11 on it.

Are all relevant drivers available for Windows? How's the performance? Anything else I should keep in mind?

TIA

Reaction score
You CANNOT erase all traces of the Mac OS from your internal drive and install Windows and have it work.

If you want to dedicate your Macintosh to running Windows, you have to leave at least the basic Mac OS on your Mac and use Bootcamp to run Windows. Even though your iMac has an Intel processor, certain hardware and software that is present in an actual Windows PC has to be virtualized by Bootcamp to get Windows to run natively.

https://support.apple.com/guide/bootcamp-assistant/welcome/mac

OP
D
Reaction score
You CANNOT erase all traces of the Mac OS from your internal drive and install Windows and have it work.

If you want to dedicate your Macintosh to running Windows, you have to leave at least the basic Mac OS on your Mac and use Bootcamp to run Windows. Even though your iMac has an Intel processor, certain hardware and software that is present in an actual Windows PC has to be virtualized by Bootcamp to get Windows to run natively.

Boot Camp Assistant User Guide for Mac
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I was convinced that I can just install Windows without having macos/boot amp on it.

Reaction score
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I was convinced that I can just install Windows without having macos/boot amp on it.

I don't think that anyone who knew what they were talking about would have told you that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have got an 2019 imac with 2tb ssd and 32gb of ram. Not really a fan of mac os but I do like the design of the computer and now thinking to i stall a clean windows on it after formatting the ssd.

Has anyone done that? Ideally to the same model? My thoughts are to boot from usb, format the ssd and install just Windows 11 on it.

Are all relevant drivers available for Windows? How's the performance? Anything else I should keep in mind?

TIA
The Mac hardware is only one part of the overall aspect, the OS working as a compliment completes the system to provide what we all like about the Mac environment.

Honestly it is silly to run Windows on this machine since, as already stated, you'll at least need Boot Camp to get you access to the hardware through drivers to make Windows happy.

Also there are many all-in-ones out there that try to mimic the look of an iMac but run Windows without any problems, so the iMac is an expensive way to go about running a very inferior operating system.

As someone who has used Windows, Linux and Mac extensively for many years professionally and personally, Mac by far is the superior all-around OS while Linux is great from a professional level.

Windows..is..meh..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Macs can not run winOS 11 natively, only up to winOS 10. You can run it in a virtual machine (Parallels or VMWare).

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm told Parallels Desktop 19 adds a whole new dimension to Running Windows 11 Pro & Enterprise on M Series Macs but I cannot for the life of me think of a reason I'd want to spend $300+ to run what is, in my experience (and I've had plenty) a second rate OS with tons of vulnerabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I have to admit surprise at this thread, I can understand somebody wishing to add a Windows partition to their Mac to run a specific item of Win PC software, though I would look for an alternative, but to buy a Mac, not like the OS and windows exclusively on it is beyond my comprehension. Which the cost, time and effort, why not just buy a windows PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.