Will the new ARM computers run "regular" apps?

Reaction score
I have a 2013 MacBook Air & a 2018 Mac mini.

I'm intrigued about the new ARM-based computers. I'm thinking about replacing both my laptop & my desktop with ARM-based computers.

I know that the ARM processors will natively run iOS apps. But will the ARM-based computers run "regular" apps?

I've been using Libre Office for years. I just checked the Libre Office website. There's an Apple silicon version available for download. YAY!

So, will the new ARM-based computers natively run both iOS & macOS apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
By "ARM" I take it you mean the Apple Silicon M1 and soon-to-be M2 machines. Technically not ARM, but I get what you mean, I think. And if by "regular" you mean apps for Intel chips, then yes, for now they can run on the Mx systems by using Rosetta2, which is free from Apple and which installs as soon as you launch an Intel-only application. The Mx systems are so blindingly fast that the Rosetta2 addition does not produce any real lag in Intel-only applications, although Apple Silicon versions are faster.

As for running iOS apps, yes, you can, but there are some steps first: How to Run iPhone and iPad Apps on Mac

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
We could get all technical with you, but as a consumer, don't worry about it. You need a new Mac, grab an M1-based Mac and the apps you like will continue to work.

If the app has an Apple Silicon version, use that, if it doesn't grab the regular Intel version and it'll work fine.

The added advantage of similar architectures between iOS, macOS, and iPadOS is that the same app has the potential of working across devices that run those OS', but that isn't to say that all will. You're going to have a hard time getting Waze to work on macOS, the same for any app that's heavily reliant on touch inputs. But an application Facebook could/would easily work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So, will the new ARM-based computers natively run both iOS & macOS apps?

The short answer is "yes". The long answer is "it depends" when it comes to iOS apps. They technically can run pretty much any iOS app. However, some developers may have blocked installation of their apps to Macs. Sometimes it may be because they already have a Mac-optimized version of their app. Sometimes they know their iOS app simply won't work well on a Mac due to heavy reliance on touch, motion sensors, etc. I've encountered a few that weren't blocked but should have been because they simply don't work. Oh they'll launch, but I can't actually use them.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have Catalina installed on both my laptop & desktop. I know that they are compatible with Big Sur but not with Monterrey.

I had forgotten about Rosetta 2. I read about it online.

I guess that Rosetta 2 is bidirectional - hardware to software & software to hardware.

I want to get a Brother inkjet printer. The download page has drivers for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS & Android. Since the Mx processors, with Rosetta 2, will run Intel apps, I'd choose to download the macOS drivers. I wonder if the iOS printer drivers will work on a Mx computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I guess that Rosetta 2 is bidirectional - hardware to software & software to hardware.
I don't know what you mean, but Rosetta2 is software that converts Intel instructions into Apple Silicon instructions to execute on the Mx systems. It's not, AFAIK, bidirectional, in that you cannot use Rosetta2 to run Apple Silicon-only software on an Intel system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have Catalina installed on both my laptop & desktop. I know that they are compatible with Big Sur but not with Monterrey.

I had forgotten about Rosetta 2. I read about it online.

I want to get a Brother inkjet printer. The download page has drivers for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS & Android. Since the Mx processors, with Rosetta 2, will run Intel apps, I'd choose to download the macOS drivers. I wonder if the iOS printer drivers will work on a Mx computer.

I very much doubt those would work. But quite frankly, you shouldn't even need to install any drivers. Actually.... you can't install drivers on iOS, so there couldn't possibly be drivers for iOS to download in the first place. You are confused with something else, like an app.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have a very old Canon color laser printer and I just grabbed the latest version of the drivers from Canon for my Mac Studio M1 Max based and everything is working fine.

Rosetta2 is a translation layer, it takes instructions from the Intel application and executes it on Apple Silicon and takes the responses and sends it back to the Intel app in a way that it understands. If that's what you mean by bi-direction, then yes, that's what is happening.

However, as Jake pointed out, Rosetta2 is primarily meant to run Intel apps on Apple Silicon, not the other way around.

OP
D
Reaction score
The iOS & Android "drivers" on the Brother website are used to print something from an iPhone or iPad or Android phone or Android tablet.

You are right. The iOS & Android on the Brother webpage must be apps so that stuff can be printed from iPhone, iPad, Android phone, Android tablet. It is confusing because the iOS & Android apps are on the Brother printer driver webpage.

Rosetta2 is a translation layer, it takes instructions from the Intel application and executes it on Apple Silicon and takes the responses and sends it back to the Intel app in a way that it understands. If that's what you mean by bi-direction, then yes, that's what is happening.

That's what I meant to say.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have a Brother all in one printer/scanner combo unit. I've had it for several years. Although I don't do it often, I can print from our IOS devices (can't speak for Android).

IIRC my printer is supporting AirPrint because our printer and devices are on the same network. You might find this information helpful.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.