WIFI direct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I am trying to set up my 'haunted fish tank' ( Sony Bravia TV) to run 'WIFI direct' to connect directly to my MacBook Pro 13 running El Capitan. So far I have hit a brick wall and can't even get it to connect to the Livebox router by WIFI.

I have been looking at this https://sourceforge.net/projects/ps3mediaserver/ and wondered if it is any good?

To start, I go through the proceedure to connect the TV to the router, enter the WPS code, etc. and it links, but when I try to access anything online, Youtube for instance, it tells me that there is no connection and to try again later. I'm sorry that I am so vague about this, but I have no idea what the **** I'm doing, but I really would like to get these links up and running.

If I could hit it with a hammer I could fix it, but this is like trying to tie knots in fog!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Instead of attempting to connect via WPS, have you tried connecting using whatever security key you for your WiFi network? WPS requires a bit of "coordination" where you have to hit a button on the router to sync it up with the device.

What model TV? I've never had an issue getting any of my Smart TVs to connect to WiFi in my house.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ta for the reply Ember. The fish tank is a Sony KD43X8309C and I am trying to connect it using the 26 hexidecimal digit code supplied by the router. I seem to remember that I have connected it at one time but I had to change the router and didn't need to connect it after that. The router models are the same though. They are both the Orange Livebox Play.

It actually tells me that they are connected, but when I try to access anything via the router it tells me that they are not connected. Then when I look at the web page for the router on Firefox it tells me that they are connected? I have no idea just how many times I have tryped that dammed number in to the fish tank and rushed upstairs to hit the 'pair' button on the router.

I think I have a better idea and haven't used one for a while?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTTO4VeiWk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Can you configure your SSID with WPA2? That uses a basic password of at least eight characters and requires no intervention at the router. You scan for the SSID, opt to connect, type in the password, and you're done. Many routers that support WPS also support WPA / WPA2 at the same time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.