Why would I need to repair disk permissions after a completely fresh OS install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@ferrarr (Bob)
I’m using macOS 14.4, and whenever I update the OS, my “Instal macOS Mojave” installer in my Applications folder disappears. Then I have to open the App Store and download the file again.

I keep the macOS Installers I might need in a seperate "Installer Stuff" folder at root level, and add a modifier to their name that seems to keep them safe, maybe that will help:

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 9.31.45 AM.png

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you (Bob) and Jake are talking about two different situations. I think what happens is as follows:

1. If one is doing an upgrade from a previous version, (High Sierra to Mojave for example), you will get the full installer because you don't have the version you are downloading.
2. If you are applying a minor update to the system you have installed you do not get the full installer. In this case the system sends you an updater that is not the full installer. It probably contains just the files that have been modified.

Full installers do indeed delete themselves and have for the last several OS versions. That's part of the reason there was such an uproar when some users could no longer download previous versions of the OS. People hadn't saved the file, or created installers, because they expected to ne able to download them.

I think the thread member krs is referring to dealt with a different situation where some users went to the App Store and instead of the full installer they got a 20 - 30 MB file. This file may appear to some users to be the full download but it isn't. If you get that file, the various processes/directions for making installers will fail if you use that file.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I keep the macOS Installers I might need in a seperate "Installer Stuff" folder at root level, and add a modifier to their name that seems to keep them safe, maybe that will help:

View attachment 29662

- Patrick
======
No need, I can download the "updated" full installer, as now my installer is version 14.4.08.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Question??? And maybe a bit OT here, but can anyone explain to me why I no longer have any macOS installer version after El Capitan shown or listed in my App Store purchases???

I have previously downloaded Sierra and High Sierra, but neither are showing in my App Store Purchases. All can work with my 2011 27" iMac.

I have a feeling I read somewhere that Apple killed something in that list, but I can't recall correctly, or the reason why.

It seems to me that Apple just does not like anything to do with consistency these days, nor do they need a reason!!! Silly me!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Question??? And maybe a bit OT here, but can anyone explain to me why I no longer have any macOS installer version after El Capitan shown or listed in my App Store purchases???

I have previously downloaded Sierra and High Sierra, but neither are showing in my App Store Purchases. All can work with my 2011 27" iMac.

I have a feeling I read somewhere that Apple killed something in that list, but I can't recall correctly, or the reason why.

It seems to me that Apple just does not like anything to do with consistency these days, nor do they need a reason!!! Silly me!!

- Patrick
======
What version of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS are you installing?

Right now, I'm running Mojave, and I have any versions of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS showing in my App Store Purchased section. However, if I were to install Yosemite, I would see all my previously purchased versions of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS, with the exception of Sierra and High Sierra, and even Mojave was listed there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you (Bob) and Jake are talking about two different situations. I think what happens is as follows:

1. If one is doing an upgrade from a previous version, (High Sierra to Mojave for example), you will get the full installer because you don't have the version you are downloading.
2. If you are applying a minor update to the system you have installed you do not get the full installer. In this case the system sends you an updater that is not the full installer. It probably contains just the files that have been modified.

Full installers do indeed delete themselves and have for the last several OS versions. That's part of the reason there was such an uproar when some users could no longer download previous versions of the OS. People hadn't saved the file, or created installers, because they expected to ne able to download them.

I think the thread member krs is referring to dealt with a different situation where some users went to the App Store and instead of the full installer they got a 20 - 30 MB file. This file may appear to some users to be the full download but it isn't. If you get that file, the various processes/directions for making installers will fail if you use that file.
It doesn't matter, each time I have updated macOS 14 (Mojave) through System Preferences, the full installer in Applications, disappears from my System.

krs

Reaction score

- Patrick
======

The exact same thing happened to me.
Actually had Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave listed, downloaded them to make installers - on HS I only got the 22MB stub, but the others were the full GB versions - and now they are gone.
Apple must be busy moving these installers all over the place since many of the links on the various Mac sites that post links to various macOSs now point to the wrong places - easy enough to do by Apple

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It doesn't matter, each time I have updated macOS 14 (Mojave) through System Preferences, the full installer in Applications, disappears from my System.
You're quite right. My comments were intended to focus on what seemed to be some confusionn about whether installers self-deleted once the process was complete. I should have made it clear that the deetion procees applies to both updates and upgrades no matter what the size of the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The exact same thing happened to me.
Actually had Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave listed, downloaded them to make installers

PS: Did you get my PM reply for the URL source to dowwnload the full (almost 5GB) HS Installer?
ie: via How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support
If you still need macOS High Sierra, use this App Store link: Get macOS High Sierra.
Click the link on that line.

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score
PS: Did you get my PM reply for the URL source to dowwnload the full (almost 5GB) HS Installer?
ie: via How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Click the link on that line.

- Patrick
======

Yes, but that download gives me the 22MB shorty.

I then stop the install at this point (see pix) since going further would actually install the software right now which is not want I want at this point.
Or should I go further ????

PS: I'm on a 2012 Mini running ElCapitan when I do this; Wednesday the 2017 MacBook air will be back, I can see if using that makes a difference.

HS Install.jpg

krs

Reaction score
@ Patrick - Your pm mailbox is full

krs

Reaction score
@krs, I don't know if you saw this thread, but it describes, the "stub" installers do a firmware check, /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.a… - Apple Community.

Thanks,
No I had not, but I suspected that Apple did a check on the Mac High Sierra was going to be installed.
And in the thread the suggestion is that this is required because of the change in formatting.

Which then begs the question - if one manages to get the full installer and runs it without the firmware check (and if a firmware update is in fact required for that Mac), will one then end up with a pretty, but rather expensive paperweight?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I know it seems like Apple is deliberately making things hard but I wonder if their thinking is; if you can run HS why wouldn't you just download and install Mojave? You can create a USB installer from the app store Mojave installer using DiskmakerX Mojave version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it seems like Apple is deliberately making things hard but I wonder if their thinking is; if you can run HS why wouldn't you just download and install Mojave?

Well it certainly seems that Apple is definitely making things difficult for users to download a full previous OS Installer, but their thinking as you suggest is pretty stupid when they keep insisting on users like myself download Mojave that isn't even supported to run on my 2011 iMac!!!

What do they really have against users who want to download a full installer I wonder??? No doubt they'll say it's something to do with some sort of security protection!! Nice try Tim!! :Grimmace:

Nonsensical and sloppy.

Actually, I really wonder about some of the full Installer downloads when I compare some of the screenshots I see on the web compared to what I I have downloaded and saved. I wonder how many different versions are actually out there and available, or if it even makes much difference.

My copy's Get Info is on the left below:

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 5.38.44 PM.png

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.