Why so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Apples to Lemons actually ;D

I use a Dell desktop at work. It's an old 400MHz machine and still runs XP, Office, and whatever else I need to nicely. It's certainly not a lemon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I just compared a dell xps to a mac pro just to prove a point. Since you were looking at towers, why compare to an imac?

The Mac came in at about $5,592
The Dell came in at $6,651

The mac was configured with 8 Cores running at 3.0 each
The dell was configured with 4 Cores running at 3.6 each

They all had the same amount of ram.
The dell had 2 graphics cards, the mac has one quadro (the dell did not have this option)
Both had the warranty
Both had 2 optical drives
The dell had 500GB of HD space, the Mac had 750GB

those area all the customizations... but i just wanted to prove a point, that as configured, the mac is made of better hardware (your can't argue that the same chip 8 cores is less then 4) the dell came in at just over $1,100 more.... now why are we fighting that apple is the one over priced and at a premium...

so what I have to say is this: either A) buy a mac or B) stop trying to get us to fight you on why we find it to be worth it.. we all found it to be worth it and we all payed up. the real question now is.. will you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
The customer service is enough for the switch if you ask me. I call... get answers and results... no arguing.

I got my MacBook Pro in less than a weeks time repaired and ready to go.

Dell and HP like to fight you for everything, even some of the warranty work.

Reaction score
Wow

I LOVE PONEYS.

Macs run graphics programs (illustator, final cut, photoshop) a lot better than PCs, but it's because of the software, not the hardware. I had an IT guy at work explain it to me, when I found out that all of them use Macs at home. That's like a Ford mechanic driving a Chevy.

For example, you can get a MBP in three essential configurations, with some slight modifictions like hard drive, RAM, etc. But they are programmed only to work with one type of video card, one motherboard, one chipset, etc. This simplifies the operations of the software, making connections much more direct. Windows is more temperamental because it is able to work with every bit of hardware on the market. This adds a lot of excess code and complicates connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I had an IT guy at work explain it to me, when I found out that all of them use Macs at home. That's like a Ford mechanic driving a Chevy.

I am finding that as well, IT guys would usually turn their noses up at Macs, now it seems every other worker in IT is switching

Maybe after troubleshooting PCs all day at work they want to go home to an "easier" computer

Also as a final point I think that I pay more for a mac because of the OS, it's worth 3 times the price of Vista, buts costs less (you only get the pro version of OS X - they don't provide a crippled cheapo version)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Macs run graphics programs (illustator, final cut, photoshop) a lot better than PCs, but it's because of the software, not the hardware

...they are programmed only to work with one type of video card, one motherboard, one chipset, etc. This simplifies the operations of the software, making connections much more direct

So, in other words, the hardware configuration allows the software to 'run better'. Yeah... its not the hardware. :|

Actually, Macs don't run graphics software any better or worse than a Windows machine. They are pretty much equals anymore. This is one of those things that was once true in the past, but has now become a 'myth' with the advent of modern computers.
I'm a designer and I use a Mac at home, and a Windows machine at work. Both of them run the CS2 Suite and there is no discernible difference with how either machine runs the apps.

Reaction score
Well,

maybe you should buy a cheapo used mac, just to feel the water. If you realy like it, maybe it will make you want to run out at 3am and buy the new iMac, maybe not. But I do think the cost is too expensive for me to buy new for most macs, I don't have that kind of money, otherwise i would have a brand new iMac sitting here next to me. I bought a used G4 running at a decent dual 533mhz, 896MB SDRAM, and a puny 40gig hard drive running 10.4 without any problems at all. It's actually very snappy.
The only mac i can see myself buying new is the Mac Mini because they are cheaper than other macs without sacrificing much of anything in my situation (sure, they aren't as easy to upgrade as my G4 PowerMac-but being realistic, I told myself I was gonna upgrade the PowerMac, and its been forever since i bought it, and I still haven't.)

When I had my iMac (G3) i enjoyed peoples reaction to it, like "Thats youre WHOLE computer? Where's the tower?!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
When you purchase an Apple system. You are not purchasing a computer, but you are purchasing a complete system.

I don't understand this logic among the mac community. With a Dell, for example, you get a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and computer. With a mac, you get a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and computer (read: same thing). In fact, the Intel Core 2 Duo that goes in the mac is the same one that goes in the Dell - as is the hard drive, ram, etc... From a hardware point of view, the only difference between the two is the nice case that houses the components and the logos. So, for example, why should an outdated Nvidia video card run better merely because it's inside of a mac case? Answer: It shouldn't - and doesn't. Apple has spent so much on marketing and their image, that the logo on their computer commands a price premium.

The only practical difference between the Dell and the mac is the operating system. I will concede that OSX has its advantages over Windows, but that's not to say that it is the superior OS. OSX has its share of faults as well. It all comes down to what works better for you.

As far as graphic design, you can get high quality, comparable software for either platform. The adobe suite works well for both.

To me, it sounds as if you are looking for a reason to justify a mac purchase. If you just need a power computer to do media/graphics work, buy a Dell, or build it yourself. Take the money you save, and buy a new (or used) mac mini. That way, you can try OSX without breaking the bank and still have a nice PC for your graphics/media needs.

And for the record, I'm not a windows fanboy. I'm just a computer fan, and can appreciate the advantages of both platforms. I have a Macbook, a nice PC, and I had a Mac Mini.

M

MacHeadCase

By complete system, we also mean the bundled software which includes iLife which enables you to make your own music, edit photos, etc. because a system is not only, in our eyes at least, hardware: it is software as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't understand this logic among the mac community. With a Dell, for example, you get a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and computer.

Having used Dells in an office environment for about 10 years, I will tell you this. With Dell, you get what you pay, or to put it another way: Crap.

I've used Macs in an office environment as well and they were far more productive for basic office tasks (Word, Excel, PPT, E-Mail, Web Browsing, Networking, Printing) and far easier to maintain (1 guy for 30 users-me, vice a whole IT dept that is incompetent). The last part doesn't apply specifically to Dell however.

I don't understand this logic among the mac community.

Then you are probably hanging out in the wrong forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
All I will say is that Apple understand the professional user more than Microsoft or PC hardware makers do.

Microsoft's best products aren't creative tools for artists, video directors or musicians. Microsoft does tools for offices, business and developers.

Windows isn't well designed for creative people, Windows slows down as the registry grows and the cruft attaches itself to the OS.

For an easier life get a Mac. I would also point to the fact that Windows Vista Premium is a very expensive OS, Windows isn't as cheap as OS X anymore (OS X is sold in one edition).

With Vista you end up buying new versions of all the hardware and software that no longer works.

OP
C
Reaction score
Take the money you save, and buy a new (or used) mac mini. That way, you can try OSX without breaking the bank and still have a nice PC for your graphics/media needs.
That's not a bad idea, actually. I will definately look into that. What would be ideal though, would be just being able to run OSX without having to buy an Apple computer.

By complete system, we also mean the bundled software which includes iLife which enables you to make your own music, edit photos, etc. because a system is not only, in our eyes at least, hardware: it is software as well.
The only big difference is garage band. Pretty much everything else comes bundled with any store-bought PC, but it would be nice to have music software built in.

Having used Dells in an office environment for about 10 years, I will tell you this. With Dell, you get what you pay, or to put it another way: Crap.
It's really just a box that's the sum of its parts. Who puts it together is reletively unimportant. Unless the pieces are bad, proprietary in-house products, the name really doesn't matter.

I would also point to the fact that Windows Vista Premium is a very expensive OS, Windows isn't as cheap as OS X anymore (OS X is sold in one edition).
My Home Premium edition for my laptop was $79.99. Also, Vista was released over five years after XP, rather than releasing incrimental upgrades every 1-1 1/2 years. I will admit that the multiple versions of Vista are silly, but Home Premium is pretty much the only one anyone will really want or need. And regularly it's the cheapest besides the basic edition (mine was bought with a student discount).

With Vista you end up buying new versions of all the hardware and software that no longer works.
Kinda like how all that OS9 software doesn't work with OSX.
(Though, it's actually not nearly as bad as people make it out to be in Vista.)

I'm not going to try and defend Vista, but no one is forcing anyone to upgrade an existing computer, and there's nothing wrong with just continuing running XP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm not going to try and defend Vista, but no one is forcing anyone to upgrade an existing computer, and there's nothing wrong with just continuing running XP.

I agree but when Microsoft pulls the plug on XP Support then there will be issues down the road. So many like XP better they have decided to continue support for a while. I ran all the Beta's of Vista and both Release Candidates. After that went back to XP.

OS9 is more like Windows 95 to me. OS9 applications were supported till the switch to Intel.

OP
C
Reaction score
According to Microsoft themselves, XP support is extended through 2014.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
At this point, with your continued defense of anything and everything MS related, it is apparent that you are a troll.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Ok, clearly you like Windows and don't like OS X. As I stated before, if your only purpose here is to promote Windows at every turn, this is probably not the place for you.

People are trying to answer your question, but instead you just shoot back Windows trolling.

I think we've had enough of this thread now.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah I got into GarageBand right away and it was great! Being able to make music without reading one single note! LOL

Great for you!

Seriously, I think you really should stick with a WinBox. Macs aren't really for you, by the sounds of it. Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.