• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why only Apple products?

Reaction score
He wouldn't comment, except to say that it was obvious that they got a major hit. ... He said that the Mini had every single component blown.
To pass the A+ Certified Computer tech exam, a tech needs no electrical knowledge. A consumer magazine demonstrated the problem last year. They created minor problems. Most all problems were not identified or repaired by techs. But they did get lots of new computer parts (ie new power supplies).

One tech told a friend that everything was destroyed on a motherboard. Blamed surges. Then I analyzed it. A PCI bridge had failed. If by a surge, then other parts must also be damaged. They were not. Only a PCI bridge failed - a classic manufacturing defect. With some bypassing, most of that computer is working today as an internet access port.

Never saw any electronics with "every single component blown". That expression quickly identifies a tech trained only to do one thing. Swap good parts until a system works.

In your case, a surge was apparently inside the building. Was so major as to overwhelm protection inside multiple appliances. The investigation begins by inspecting and upgrading earthing, as you probably know (and for the benefit of others), by reading QST Magazine (ie articles in June and July 2002 issues):
> The goal is to make the ground path leading away from the
> SPGP more desirable than any other path.

An Apple tech demonstrates a serious problem in America. Too many techs have insufficient knowledge. An informed tech could have identified a PSU good or bad in about a minute without disconnecting anything. By simply using a tool even sold to Kmart customers. Or he could identify what subsystem inside a PSU failed. Too many techs do not even know how to use a multimeter. Yes, a problem that should concern many.

One part or parts in your computer are probably damaged. Only reason to not fix it - finding a defect might identify a part too expensive to unsolder. Today, we identify a failure so that the first swapped out part solves everything. And no electronics has 'every single component blown'. Lightning strike do not damage everything.

A tech apparently has insufficient electrical knowledge and has learned plenty of urban myths about lightning. He hoped you do what most people do. Believe that myth. And do not ask damming questions such as what part was damaged. You asked that question. So he recited a classic myth - everything blown.

Hopefully you can use what you already knew to identify the probably defective earthing. Others might learn more by reading citations in "What's the best way to protect your gear from lightning?" at:
What's the best way to protect your gear from lightning?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also doubt EVERY PART was Fried. How did he determine that? Would take hours.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I also doubt EVERY PART was Fried. How did he determine that? Would take hours.

I wasn't there and I haven't opened the box yet and won't till I get the ok from the insurance folks. But I suspect that the translation of his statement would be more like, "The pile of parts I have replaced so far is starting to exceed the cost of a new one."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.