Why lion is a real clunker

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Firstly, The OP said Newspaper sites. All the news sites I visit use heavy flash.

Second, I know what I am doing and Safari running SunSpider slows way down and takes all my 4GB memory on EVERY intel Mac in the house. Firefox is the next worse but does not max out the ram usage like Safari. The other browsers don't even come close to using that much ram. Also the issue all over the internet.

Frankly with a Title like OSX Lion is a CLunker and it's Apple Vista, I doubt he will be back. I hope he does show though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Second, I know what I am doing and Safari running SunSpider slows way down and takes all my 4GB memory on EVERY intel Mac in the house. Firefox is the next worse but does not max out the ram usage like Safari. The other browsers don't even come close to using that much ram. Also the issue all over the internet.
SunSpider is the perfect example of Safari's inability to manage memory. Not only does it consume memory faster than the Cookie Monster in an Oreo factory, it doesn't let it go. Other browsers use more memory but not only do they control it but they also release it (or at least some of it) when the test is over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Defensive much?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Defensive of what? I made an observation based on experience. You're free to disagree if you so choose.

Let's also remember that you were defending a position in your first post (quoted below) that wasn't even yours (it was initially Chas') which you ended with an abrupt "sorry". That looks pretty defensive to me.
The OP may not say "Flash" directly, but "Open a Media Site" and "Newspaper" both scream of Flash. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Thanks guys. Ill just stick with what works for me then :D

Reaction score
I had a well functioning imac from 2010, and then i saw the promise of the worlds best op sytem hm hm, being very nieve at the time i upgraded from snow leopard to lion which i did over the net.
It was there all my problems started slow with everything startup close down open programs all very slow, my dvd drive would not read normal data disc, only read music and films, plus a lot of other small things.
Have formated and gone back to snow leopard, now its all good again.
I will wait a few years for lion to grow up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I had a well functioning imac from 2010, and then i saw the promise of the worlds best op sytem hm hm, being very nieve at the time i upgraded from snow leopard to lion which i did over the net.
It was there all my problems started slow with everything startup close down open programs all very slow, my dvd drive would not read normal data disc, only read music and films, plus a lot of other small things.
Have formated and gone back to snow leopard, now its all good again.
I will wait a few years for lion to grow up.

To be honest, the direct upgrade path seems to be the most trouble fraught. A clean install seems to clear up most issues.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest, the direct upgrade path seems to be the most trouble fraught. A clean install seems to clear up most issues.
I have to agree with this. A straight upgrade left me with a slow as molasses machine so I ended up doing a fresh install. It was much better after doing the clean install which has lead me to do this from now on.

Reaction score
I did the upgrade/online install. No problems whatsoever. No delays or sluggishness, etc. Happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

I have to agree with this. A straight upgrade left me with a slow as molasses machine so I ended up doing a fresh install. It was much better after doing the clean install which has lead me to do this from now on.

I will have to third this. I kept having little quirks here and there, and though performance was "satisfactory", I felt it should be snappier. I did a clean install of Lion a week ago and manually migrated my data over one piece at a time. It was tedious, but my gut instincts were right… it is snappier now than before and the few problems I was having have vanished.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will give this a 4th as well. Some like the one poster above and a friend of mine in the mountains have had good luck with the Online Upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard, but 1000's have not.

I did all Clean installs here and was very happy.

Reaction score
Ok guys that sounds like a good way to go with Lion not upgrade but a clean install will try this when i get time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.