• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why don't we have reviews for Apple products?

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
edit: just read up on it, and your wrong, in a sense.
the macbook pros have a nvidia graphics card, but they also have an intel integrated graphics, which isnt a card, more so just a little chip.

Get real! It's still dual! Besides, they didn't even know about the switching feature...which was MY original point to the post!
You could have double checked before originally posting, instead of fishtailing around to making your post sound correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
Get real! It's still dual! Besides, they didn't even know about the switching feature...which was MY original point to the post!
You could have double checked before originally posting, instead of fishtailing around to making your post sound correct.

only a dual, and its an i7? bah, i despise the way intel lists things...
and I didnt know about the switching, but theres a difference between a graphics card and integrated graphics.
so i guess you are right and wrong on technicalities.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is a mac forum, and there would be a pretty blatant bias here, also, to back up your review you would need more than "i own a mac".

Not every review has to be a:

- "Mac vs. Windows" sort of thing
- not every product Apple makes is perfect
- not every aspect of every product Apple makes is a "good thing".

Reviews on this website would be reviews by Mac-Users for Mac-Users. There are folks posting threads here all the time about things they like & dislike about Apple products.

Regarding..."also, to back up your review you would need more than "i own a mac".. There are members on this forum who may have purchased a Mac yesterday...and those that have been using Mac's for 25+ years.

Both persons "own a Mac"...and each person could write a review that would be coming from different angles. From the recent "switcher" perspective...to the long time user perspective. I personally would find an individual persons review possibly less bias than a "professional" reviewers "review".

When was the last time you read a review done by professional review writer, and they came right out & said that the product was a piece of CRAP!!! Or they basically wrote a review...and throughout the whole review they say how terrible a product is...and then give it a final rating of 8.4 out of 10. If a product is crap...it should be a 2.1...not an 8.4! The reasons are...job security & don't want to lose advertisers (who pay the bills).

If "real" reviewers honestly & objectively wrote truly unbiased reviews...they would probably be out of a job within a year. Reviews by individual non-professional reviewers (although less flashy)...would certainly be much more honest.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is a mac forum, and there would be a pretty blatant bias here, also, to back up your review you would need more than "i own a mac".

Actually that is not true at all here. A lot of users here (Me included) use both OSX and Windows and like both.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Actually that is not true at all here. A lot of users here (Me included) use both OSX and Windows and like both.

And to add...since the release of "Intel based Mac's" in 2006...many many more Mac users are using the Windows OS MUCH more than they used to due to the ability of Mac-Users with Intel Mac's being able to run Windows on their Mac's via "Bootcamp" or emulators like Parallels or VWware Fusion.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
And to add...since the release of "Intel based Mac's" in 2006...many many more Mac users are using the Windows OS MUCH more than they used to due to the ability of Mac-Users with Intel Mac's being able to run Windows on their Mac's via "Bootcamp" or emulators like Parallels or VWware Fusion.

- Nick

heh, and in related news to the intel thing, ATI is being changed back to AMD.
so expect to see Intel with AMD inside.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

agreed, I still have my hp laptop that I fixed and have it running perfectly...although one HDD bay is messed up. Though, XP-Pro is the only thing I will trust on it.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

If "real" reviewers honestly & objectively wrote truly unbiased reviews...they would probably be out of a job within a year. Reviews by individual non-professional reviewers (although less flashy)...would certainly be much more honest.:)

- Nick

pigoo, you must stop posting so much good stuff...I can't keep on giving you good rep like this without spreading it around...LOL;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Reviews on this website would be reviews by Mac-Users for Mac-Users. There are folks posting threads here all the time about things they like & dislike about Apple products.
Quoted because it's worth repeating. I also think I'm the perfect example of someone who gladly acknowledges the quality of certain products (OS X for instance) while quite easily pointing out the flaws in certain products (remember the button-less third gen Shuffle?). There are many of us here who do not conform to what I call the "blind fanboy" persona in that we are not somehow unable to criticize Apple.

And Linux, don't forget Linux! My Linux server right next to me is hurt. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Van, I figured Linux would not interest the poster. Tell your Linux Server I am sorry! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I used to have my imac set up for triple boot, SL, XP and Red Hat. But now it's just OS X for the time being. And I emulate OS 9 and DOS. So I can share the Linux love Van :).

And sure at times I can look like an Apple fanboy. And sure I like Apple. But even I have to say the last shuffle with the no buttons and Ping are both absolute crap. And the new Apple TV I really don't like either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I wouldn't go that far...

I have already had to have my Mac repaired and have had constant issues with Internet connection/ safari.

I dunno, I was having serious doubts about the level of seriousness in his post... It sure as heck wasn't sarcastic at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Quoted because it's worth repeating. I also think I'm the perfect example of someone who gladly acknowledges the quality of certain products (OS X for instance) while quite easily pointing out the flaws in certain products (remember the button-less third gen Shuffle?). There are many of us here who do not conform to what I call the "blind fanboy" persona in that we are not somehow unable to criticize Apple.

And Linux, don't forget Linux! My Linux server right next to me is hurt. ;)

I used to have my imac set up for triple boot, SL, XP and Red Hat. But now it's just OS X for the time being. And I emulate OS 9 and DOS. So I can share the Linux love Van :).

And sure at times I can look like an Apple fanboy. And sure I like Apple. But even I have to say the last shuffle with the no buttons and Ping are both absolute crap. And the new Apple TV I really don't like either.

I don't dual boot my Mac, but I do have several VMs set up. I just upgraded my hard drive so that I can fit more on and try more distributions! I've forced myself to live inside my Ubuntu distribution for a long time and sort of learn whats what. Didn't really learn all the tricks with Ubuntu so much as gaining an environment to code in that wouldn't toast my whole system if I goofed. Anyway, looking forward to having extra room to play around in Mint and Fedora.

Reaction score
That is a good idea that there should be a forum on reviews but really, people watch reviews more than read them because it gives them more of a dimension to the product.

Personally I prefer to watch.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is a good idea that there should be a forum on reviews but really, people watch reviews more than read them because it gives them more of a dimension to the product.

Personally I prefer to watch.

I guess that may be ok for the impulse buyers out there.

For any of us that care about the technical side and are spend any amount of time verifying that a device will perform all the intended functions for which you are considering the purchase, show me a video that does that and simultaneously provides numerous user reviews of the product to know how it's going to stand up in day to day use.

Reaction score
For any of us that care about the technical side and are spend any amount of time verifying that a device will perform all the intended functions for which you are considering the purchase, show me a video that does that and simultaneously provides numerous user reviews of the product to know how it's going to stand up in day to day use.

Yes I agree with you, typed up reviews do go into the technical details of the product. We could have both.....

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
show me a video that does that and simultaneously provides numerous user reviews of the product to know how it's going to stand up in day to day use.

That's what I wish we could have on here...:|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.