Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Many times when I am typing on my MacBook Pro 16 computer, the curser will jump above where I am typing. Does anyone know if I am inadvertaly pressing an unknown shortcut that makes it do that? Or might it be a glitch. Perhaps it's just human error on my part. I don't know. It's annoying, that I do know! :wink

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It is really easy to unwittingly tap the trackpad when typing, which then causes the cursor to move. Could that be it? Typing on a keyboard just above a trackpad requires a higher arch in the wrist. I put my MBP on small angled stand to get a bit more clearance, but still find myself touching the trackpad when I travel and don't have the stand with me.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is really easy to unwittingly tap the trackpad when typing, which then causes the cursor to move. Could that be it? Typing on a keyboard just above a trackpad requires a higher arch in the wrist. I put my MBP on small angled stand to get a bit more clearance, but still find myself touching the trackpad when I travel and don't have the stand with me.

That very well might be the issue. Does Apple sell a stand for the 2019 MacBook Pro 16 inch?

Edit: I just did a search and see a nice one from Apple! ;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Of all the trackpads out there I've found the MBP trackpads to be very rarely susceptible to the errant typing issue since other trackpads allow for click with touch while the MBP's trackpad requires an actual physical click. So while the cursor might move around with your palm touching it, unless you are resting your palm on the trackpad, this isn't an issue.

If you do find yourself resting your inner palm on the trackpad, you have a few options, one is the stand and external keyboard, the other is to shift your resting point to the outer palms, which if you are positioning around the F and J with your pointer fingers should be just on the either side of the trackpad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or, disable the Trackpad. Of course that's a drastic solution but some of us (me) with lazy hands, it was the only way. I touch type and find myself hitting the Trackpad no matter what I do. No longer a problem with my iMac and Magic Trackpad 2. :wink

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you adopt a typing techique closer to piano playing the trackpad doesn't get touched as much. In this technique, keep the wrists up, off the machine and curve the fingers more. It might be tiresome at first, but as the wrists get used to it, it's much easier. My piano lessons finally paid off!

- - - Updated - - -

As for stands, there are a lot of them. Cooler Master makes some nice ones. Search on Amazon and you'll get hundreds of options.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you adopt a typing techique closer to piano playing the trackpad doesn't get touched as much. In this technique, keep the wrists up, off the machine and curve the fingers more. It might be tiresome at first, but as the wrists get used to it, it's much easier. My piano lessons finally paid off!

- - - Updated - - -

As for stands, there are a lot of them. Cooler Master makes some nice ones. Search on Amazon and you'll get hundreds of options.

Sounds like a very good idea!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.