Why do I get duplicate notifications of most birthdays?

Reaction score
This morning I got three notifications on my Mac. Two of them were for my nephew's birthday and one was for Mother's Day.

My nephew is in my contacts. My contacts don't show anybody on my iCloud. Everybody is on my Google account shared with my wife's contacts.

If I open my calendar app, I see two places with "Birthdays" check boxes. One of these is on my Google account, and the other is on "Other". If I check both of those off, I see the birthday twice on my Calendar app. So I only have one checked off.

Where does it get its "Other"? I believe I have gotten some birthday notifications very occasionally only once.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 9.27.34 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 9.27.34 AM.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Easiest way to see what is causing the doubling up of dates etc try unchecking everything then check one, look at your calendar and see what you get. You can always re-check it and notices will reappear. I suspect the reason for duplicates is because you are sharing with other people who are also showing the same events so you get twice the notice.

Lisa

OP
H
Reaction score
I can't figure out what to uncheck. I used that method to get rid of the duplicate in my calendar. And my next test will be the next time someone in my contacts has a birthday.

I suspect I need to find out what "other" looks like in my calendar. Maybe notifications looks at the same thing. Or maybe not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I can't figure out what to uncheck.
Uncheck all of them. ALL. Then check one at a time to see which have the birthday, then check the ones that show the birthday to see if what you end up with is what you are seeing now. Once you know which are providing the birthday, you can decide what to do. Sometimes duplicates just have to exist if they are on two calendars and you want both, even if some data is duplicated. For example, because I travel to UK often, I have a calendar with UK holidays. But that means that some holidays are duplicated from my US holiday calendar (New Years, Easter, Christmas, etc.). I live with it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Uncheck the calendars? So I should wait until someone's birthday, don't close the duplicate notifications of birthdays, but open the calendar app, uncheck everything, and then reboot? If notifications come up again, check one, and reboot again?

So you believe that my notifications have to be coming from my calendar, not my contacts or anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, notifications about birthdays come from Calendar. So if you have duplicate entries for birthdays in Calendar, you will get duplicate notifications of those same birthdays.

Contacts doesn't send notifications. Calendar does, if authorized in System Settings.

I strongly suggest, looking at your list of calendars you display, that the birthdays are duplicated.

You don't have to wait for a birthday, just look in Calendar for a day with duplicate birthdays. Find what calendars you have turned on are creating that duplicate and decide what to do.

Alternatively, you can turn notifications OFF for Calendar at System Settings>Notifications. But doing so means you won't get notifications for anything in Calendar. You'll need to make a decision what is important to you.

OP
H
Reaction score
I did "get info" on the "Other" contacts "This calendar automatically displays birthdays listed in your contacts".

"Get info" on the Google calendar shows: "Displays birthdays, anniversaries, and other event dates of people in Google Contacts."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did "get info" on the "Other" contacts "This calendar automatically displays birthdays listed in your contacts".

"Get info" on the Google calendar shows: "Displays birthdays, anniversaries, and other event dates of people in Google Contacts."
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about Apple's Calendar, not Google. I don't use Google at all.

Good luck with it. I'm out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you uncheck "other"?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
At one time I had triplicates of my "Birthdays" calendar as well as one or two others showing in the Calendar app. It turns out that I had a copy of the Calendar on my Mac, iPhone, and iCloud. I ended up turning off Calendars and leaving only one turned on.

I suspect the same thing is happening here.

OP
H
Reaction score
Other has been unchecked, resulting in not getting duplicates on my calendar. But I still get duplicates in my notifications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.