Why do Apple make battery replacement in iPhones/iPads so difficult?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
There has been a lot of publicity re Apple slowing down iOS based products on upgrade. In response Apple have apparently reduced the cost of batteries. Why do Apple make it so difficult to replace batteries when, for Android based products, the process is so much easier?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Apple products are designed not to be serviced by end customers. It isn't a point of debate, that's stance Apple has taken. Manufacturer's of Android devices have taken a different stance, and you can't debate that either.

So end of the day, you want to make use of the replacement program, take it to an authorized Apple affiliated store/team/person to get the replacement done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And if you have one of the affected iPhones, now is a good time to have the battery replaced for the reduced charge. No point in complaining about something you have no control over anyway. And Android phones have their own problems.

Reaction score
Apple looks at every opportunity to hose its loyal fans and squeeze every possible penny of them. They make it difficult to get the battery and replace it. They are hoping fans will buy Applecare or pay out of pocket for replacement battery or buy a newer product. Many of these products end up not being recycled properly. Yet people somehow have this misconception that Apple is a great green company. But as long Apple’s loyal fan are willing to be hosed, there is no point of griping about it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Sam. Thank you for your post.

You said:
They are hoping fans will buy Applecare

I know what you mean, but, as with all insurance, you may never need it. But when you do AppleCare+ offers a lot of protection.

Quoting - AppleCare+ for iPhone is an insurance product that provides up to two years of expert technical support and hardware coverage, including up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to an excess fee of £25 for screen damage, or £79 for any other damage.

In addition, you’ll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts by chat or phone. Coverage begins on your AppleCare+ purchase date. End Quote.

Reference: iPhone - AppleCare+ - Apple (UK)

That has always seemed to me a good deal. The coverage for Macs is three years.

I don't believe that Apple are conning us or pushing us to buy it. It's a personal choice; but in my opinion worth every penny - just for the fantastic support they provide when contacted by phone. Helped me out numerous times. Nothing broken - just me not getting something to work.

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check out iFixit. Apple phones from say the 5s up to at least the 8 are much easier than the last 3-4 models from Samsung in fact. You almost have to break the Samsung apart to change the battery. Sure the older Samsung phones like the s1-s5 or so you just snapped off the back and out came the battery, but with the more recent models that no longer happens that I have seen. A lot of it has to do with making things water resistant.

Still though if you buy the right tools and have good eyes, the more recent iphones (not checked the X and XS) are still way easier than Samsung.

I tried Samsung for 2 years and overall hated my experience and came running back to Apple.

Most people though should take it in to Apple since the cost has been reduced as the average person might mess things up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Easy in Samsung? Check this and after you do this whole mess you also loose the water resistance part!

samsung s8 battery replacment ifixit - Google Search

The S9 is similar and I believe the S10 also. If I were to buy any Android phone I would get Samsung and they are a pain to change the battery. I did my 5s and it was 5x easier.

Here is the iPhone X. Way easier. Even easier than my 5s was.

iphone X

Just a quick note. that lady sure makes it look easier than it really is! Maybe it's her face! :D Grin

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another quick note. Since the iPhone 5 things have gotten easier. I remember changing the battery in my 3GS. Getting the screen off was easy but then the whole logic board had to be removed as the battery was under the board!!!! Real pain.

Reaction score
Apple looks at every opportunity to hose its loyal fans and squeeze every possible penny of them. They make it difficult to get the battery and replace it.

That's the cynic's take, or possibly the take of someone who see's a conspiracy everywhere (very popular these days), but if you read some press releases from Apple, and a few tech notes, just about everything that some folks like to chalk up to avarice on the part of Apple (and, actually, I think that Apple makes plenty of money, so that they don't need to resort to squeezing and alienating their loyal customers), can easily be explained without the need to assume some nefarious goal.

The battery is probably the most important component of the iPhone. When designing a new iPhone Apple usually starts by looking at what sort of battery capacity is available with the very latest technology, and then designing around that. Size, style, functionality and features are all dictated by the battery.

Apple has to meet two competing design goals: to pack in as much battery as possible and to make their product as thin as possible. (The latter is a theme, as you can see for yourself, in every single one of Apple's products. Note even the latest iMacs, a desktop product, are impressively thin. Consumer research has told Apple that customers crave thin products.) So, Apple has managed to meet both goals by packing batteries into the iPhone that are oddly shaped, and by deleting design features that would make batteries easy to replace. It's a trade off.

But that's not the only reason that iPhone batteries are not user replaceable. If you make things easily user replaceable, third parties feel free to make and offer for sale knockoff products...like batteries. Usually made more cheaply. That's a huge problem for Apple, because modern lithium batteries have a very high power density, and if those batteries aren't made to a very high standard, and serviced only by experts, they can catch fire, and even explode. Apple saw this happen with early iPhones when users used third party parts (usually third party chargers), and it has happened much more recently (about a year ago) with Samsung Galaxy's. Having your phones catch fire and/or explode is a public relations nightmare for a company, and Apple is trying their best to avoid that happening.

So, yes, you may pay more to have your battery replaced by Apple rather than doing it yourself. But your phone will be stylishly thin and it won't ever catch fire or blow up. Is that a worthwhile trade off? You might want to ask someone who purchased a Samsung Galaxy a year or so ago and had it catch fire.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Quite so, Randy. And the need to meet the demand for more & more waterproofing requires a tight seal - impossible to achieve if the back can be removed by any user when they feel like it.

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, very true. I mentioned that above also. Samsungs are not as easy as they once were to change the battery and in fact much harder than any of the last few iphones.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, Dennis. So you did. Brain cells not up to full speed yet (if ever):)

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, Dennis. So you did. Brain cells not up to full speed yet (if ever):)

Ian

Lately my brain is never at full speed! :D Grin

No I was just pointing out to everyone reading this that both of us made the point and it was a great point. Was glad you posted what you did as it backs all I found last night.

I had forgotten just what a pain the newer Samsungs are to change the battery. Many more steps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.