Who switches off their Mac overnight?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The CMOS battery has nothing to do with saving sleep settings on any computer. You disconnect power from any computer, no matter which OS, you are not turning it back on to your previous sleep state.

Reaction score
I always shut mine down at night. Mostly just because it's near my bed and the sleep light can get annoying. I probably would anyways though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I put my iMac to sleep at night, though I do perform a shutdown and restart at least once a month or so, (usually having the normal shutdown and restart when doing updates takes care of this). My MBP gets shutdown whenever I'm not using it for an extended period of time, including at night.

Reaction score
I turn both my MacBook Pro and iMac off every night. Give then a complete rest.

Merry Christmas to all!

EdO:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I turn off my powermac g4/g5 only at night, and put it to sleep whenever I don't use it during the day. With my MBP, I put it to sleep all the time because I have a pet-peeve with letting a battery sit unused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
Pretty much all of our electronic components are vastly improved today vs that time period.

Not really. The usage and largely, the construction of capacitors and resistors are have not changed much since the '30s. As you say, nowadays, many items such as TV's never completely switch off in order to protect their power supplies which take the brunt of "switch-on" surges. Obviously modern solid state circuits which run at relatively low operating voltages are less susceptible, nevertheless, the PSU is always going to be vulnerable because of the relatively higherer input voltage.

Reaction score
I often put it to sleep at night. But once a week I turn it off for 10 minutes o it can rest the components.I've had this for 2 and a half ears and sleeping is fine.

Reaction score
I often put it to sleep at night. But once a week I turn it off for 10 minutes o it can rest the components.I've had this for 2 and a half ears and sleeping is fine.

I agree. I like to let my iMac rest sometimes, it works so hard for me! I just turn it off one or two nights a week, other than that I just let it sleep and everything works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2010 - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz
If you dont' switch it off for ages, you will probably end up with memory leaks etc (No matter how much I love my Apple system, no one can tell me bugs like that don't exist in software on it), and forgetting about apps etc. Over time, your system will slow down a fair amount. And for power users like myself (3D Development etc), this affects it.

My iMac starts up in around 10 seconds. Is that not fast enough? :D hehe

So yeah ... I shut it down :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you dont' switch it off for ages, you will probably end up with memory leaks etc (No matter how much I love my Apple system, no one can tell me bugs like that don't exist in software on it), and forgetting about apps etc. Over time, your system will slow down a fair amount. And for power users like myself (3D Development etc), this affects it.
Yeah...that's why the Quit command exists.

If you "forget" about apps, look down at the Dock for the little light under the icon that indicates a running application. If you're a "power user," you really ought to make the effort to take care of these things yourself!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Intel Core i5
I always keep my imac in sleep mode. alt+cmd+eject is a life saver:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...that's why the Quit command exists.

If you "forget" about apps, look down at the Dock for the little light under the icon that indicates a running application. If you're a "power user," you really ought to make the effort to take care of these things yourself!:)

I wasn't saying I'd forget ;) I just think it's better to switch it off. Think about it. Does your Mac take long to boot from off? If it does, you should get it looked at :) But if not, why waste energy putting it to sleep. The energy may be very small ... but it's still using something, or it'd not know to wake etc :p hehe. Sleep command seems only useful to me if you DO want to keep apps open, so you can come back to your work as you left it. If you close the apps, why sleep it? You can't 'quit' the OS you know, and I am 100% sure that Apple have missed bugs there, that probably do cause the system to gradually get slower and slower. That's human nature. You can never fix all the bugs :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Mine's never off (unless I'm away on holiday for more than 3 days). Never had an issue in leaving it, Macs were always designed to be left running anyway. Constant shutting down and rebooting puts wear on the HD etc, as does waking it from sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Mine is turned off at least once a day. (Mac Mini)
The 3-year AppleCare agreement recently expired.
So now I'll start having problems. ;)
But I haven't had any problems yet. Just sayin'...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I wasn't saying I'd forget ;) I just think it's better to switch it off.
It isn't.
Think about it.
I did.
Does your Mac take long to boot from off? If it does, you should get it looked at :)
It takes a good 20 seconds or so...or about 20 times as long as it does to wake from sleep.
But if not, why waste energy putting it to sleep. The energy may be very small ... but it's still using something, or it'd not know to wake etc :p hehe.
It uses essentially the same amount of power as it does when off. All electronics use power when "off" unless unplugged, and I'm not going to crawl around and unplug my computer every time I turn it off. Hehe.
Sleep command seems only useful to me if you DO want to keep apps open, so you can come back to your work as you left it. If you close the apps, why sleep it?
I generally quit apps (you can't "close" an app) when I'm done with the app. I sleep the computer when I'm not using it. They have nothing to do with one another so far as I'm concerned.
You can't 'quit' the OS you know, and I am 100% sure that Apple have missed bugs there, that probably do cause the system to gradually get slower and slower. That's human nature. You can never fix all the bugs :)
Bugs have nothing do do with the system getting slower. Things like memory leaks can be profiled and detected using automated tools and fixed fairly easily. It's just not a significant problem with Mac OS X itself.

Reaction score
I usually put mine in sleep mode. Shut down about once a week or so. At least in sleep I dont loose the Sirius link. If I shut down, need to redo that image/word thing, password, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iTouch, iPod
Shut mine down every night

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It isn't. I did. It takes a good 20 seconds or so...or about 20 times as long as it does to wake from sleep. It uses essentially the same amount of power as it does when off. All electronics use power when "off" unless unplugged, and I'm not going to crawl around and unplug my computer every time I turn it off. Hehe.I generally quit apps (you can't "close" an app) when I'm done with the app. I sleep the computer when I'm not using it. They have nothing to do with one another so far as I'm concerned.Bugs have nothing do do with the system getting slower. Things like memory leaks can be profiled and detected using automated tools and fixed fairly easily. It's just not a significant problem with Mac OS X itself.

20 seconds? Wow. You have an old Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.