• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who rides a bike?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
Here's my new Trek...

My Trek.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
My bikes will love not getting dismantled every time I take them somewhere with my new 2011 Honda Pilot! :) Pics to come.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My bikes will love not getting dismantled every time I take them somewhere with my new 2011 Honda Pilot! :) Pics to come.

Nice. What happened to the Crosstour?

I have a 2010 Pilot (EX-L). I like the vehicle, but the gas mileage is awful (generally around 14-15MPG around town).

What you need is a hitch-mounted bike rack. I picked one up for mine (made by Hollywood Racks) and it's absolutely awesome. Not only will you not need to disassemble, but you won't dirty your interior either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Nice. What happened to the Crosstour?

I have a 2010 Pilot (EX-L). I like the vehicle, but the gas mileage is awful (generally around 14-15MPG around town).

What you need is a hitch-mounted bike rack. I picked one up for mine (made by Hollywood Racks) and it's absolutely awesome. Not only will you not need to disassemble, but you won't dirty your interior either.
We still have the Crosstour. Our passat's lease was up in 9 months, and we had a deal too good to pass up at honda. Financing is $490 a month for 72 months on a Pilot EX 4WD. MSRP is $33.5k. Total after 72 months is $35280.
20110729-nya7fjyj5t3guudipp7s2hn1p4.jpg

How much did you pay for your rack? How many bikes can it hold? I'm going out to look for a new one locally. I honestly don't want to pay more than $100, because I'd rather fabricate my own(to my liking) at my dad's work place than spend more.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We still have the Crosstour. Our passat's lease was up in 9 months, and we had a deal too good to pass up at honda. Financing is $490 a month for 72 months on a Pilot EX 4WD. MSRP is $33.5k. Total after 72 months is $35280.

How much did you pay for your rack? How many bikes can it hold? I'm going out to lock for a new one locally. I honestly don't want to pay more than $100, because I'd rather fabricate my own(to my liking) at my dad's work place than spend more.

Nice, I like the color a lot. Mine is the Dark Cherry color, and it's OK, but tough to keep clean.

The rack was $170 at a local bike shop. Those prices actually did line up pretty well with Amazon for that model. It holds three bikes, has anti-sway and can fold down so that the trunk door can still be opened. Very nice rack and built like a tank (powder coated too).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Oh man cycling is my passion. I'm 59 years old and I have been riding "seriously" since I was 17. I usually put 10,000 to 13,000 miles on per year. THen another 2,000 miles or so on my Computrainer in those long Wisconsin winter months!

I had a bit of a setback three weeks ago, I rode through a patch of hydraulic oil. Apparently a piece of farm equipment leaked. I didn't see it and the next thing I knew I was bouncing along the road. Yes, I broke my femur. I am hearing quickly, but it will be a while b/4 I am on my bike again :)

aa1.jpg

aa2.jpg

aa3.jpg

aa4.jpg

aa5.jpg

aa6.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Isn't it weird how easily bikes slip on oil? I was riding under a bridge one day and noticed a TINY strip of oil stream(maybe ~5" wide) and thought it was okay to not slow down further. I'm still shocked at how easily my rear kicked out to the right as soon as I went over it. Luckily though, I didn't lose enough control to crash. Now I avoid all shiny coated liquids on the ground.

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
my bike is a Aprilia RSV-R 1000 (mille)

;o)

Reaction score
I started cycling for the first time in 18+ years last September. Then come January 1st this year I decided to do it for medical reasons, lose weight and help with the blood pressure. Since January, WITHOUT changing my diet and still enjoying my Guinness :) I lost 44lbs and it stayed off. Now that was no mean feat, I cycled approx 20-25 miles a day to and from work, but totally feel better for the weight loss. Lost so much weight my rings on my fingers fell off! I need new ones! LOL

Having said that, I've been made redundant recently [Lost my job] and I really hope to keep the cycling up, don't want that weight to come back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I started cycling for the first time in 18+ years last September. Then come January 1st this year I decided to do it for medical reasons, lose weight and help with the blood pressure. Since January, WITHOUT changing my diet and still enjoying my Guinness :) I lost 44lbs and it stayed off. Now that was no mean feat, I cycled approx 20-25 miles a day to and from work, but totally feel better for the weight loss. Lost so much weight my rings on my fingers fell off! I need new ones! LOL

Having said that, I've been made redundant recently [Lost my job] and I really hope to keep the cycling up, don't want that weight to come back!

Nice work! 44# that is major!
One of the things I enjoy is that. I can eat as much and as often as I want.

Is that a D3S? I want one of those soooooooo bad :)

Reaction score
It is, but I have alas changed over to Canon. I use a 7D now, 18mp and Full HD Video. Suits my needs better and cheaper PRO lenses. Yeah, 44lbs, delighted with it. I plan on doing a lovely trip from Galway in the West of Ireland, along the Coast down to Kerry. Approx 270 miles over a week. Being a photographer also, the landscape if amazing there... We have a part called The Burren, which looks like a lunar landscape and it is the only place outside the arctic circle where a particular yellow flower grows, its actually illegal to pick them! I'll have to try and dig out some photos from it....

Reaction score
The-Burren.jpg

This is one from my site. BruunPHOTO Lots of images from Ireland, but if you imagine over 50 miles of limestone coastline stretching inland for about 1-2 miles and 50 miles along the coast, its amazing scenery. The bus tours stop off here for 15 minutes, you could easily spend 15 days on this section of landscape and still miss loads!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
cheaper PRO lenses. .

Sure, but I got 30+ years of Nikkor glass lying around :D I like being able to use it all, and the D3 will be the next body I believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, but I got 30+ years of Nikkor glass lying around :D I like being able to use it all, and the D3 will be the next body I believe.

I'd give anything to have all the Nikon glass I had during the film days. Like an idiot I sold all of it in the early 90s when I thought I was done taking pictures.

I now have a D90 and a kit lens. ugh. My dream camera?
D3S with a 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S. I can dream can't I?
Monty

Reaction score
The D3 is gone Mike, Nikon stopped making them, not sure what its like in AZ but here in Dublin in fact, most of Ireland, you can't find one second hand... Even the D3s which was my dream camera is soon to be obsolete as the D4 is due out later this year. Don't get me wrong, I love Nikon, used them for all my digital work personal and professional, but when the time came to decide on my upgrade I did a lot of research between D3s and Canons 7D and the Canon suited my needs better. Anyhow, you should get a D3 s/h very cheap these days, enjoy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I should have been more clear I suppose. Probably a D3s. I looked at the D3x, but the s would suit my needs better.

I hear ya, I've just got so much Nikon equipment that it's pointless to change at this point :D Canon makes excellent kit. Especially if you're shooting sports.

btw, anything used .. I'd have to order from New York. I do sort of miss living (and working) in the DC area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Check out the 4 bike hitch mount that my dad and I are working on. It's still not complete. When complete, it will have individual adjustments for each of the bikes, and have a lock on each arm. This thing can easily hold 800 pounds(tested it at work with a compressor...800 was as high as it could put down), and it still does't have the triangle link support on it yet! If you know me, you would know that I ALWAYS like to over-do things:)
20110808-bnfafq51gur4x34mqh4hbfj38x.jpg

Thought I would share

PS: That's my neighbors grass...if anyone want's to light it on fire...I will keep hush about it. I don't even want to start with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I started weight bearing on my leg today (broken femur on July 8th see above posts). My knee is sore.

I did go down the basement stairs. In the corner of the finished section of the basement is my training room. I have a Computrainer. I said as long as we are down here I asked if I do easy spinning on the trainier. Maybe on the next visit! YaHoo. I am going to get back on my bike this season!

Fingers are crossed!!

Monty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I started weight bearing on my leg today (broken femur on July 8th see above posts). My knee is sore.

I did go down the basement stairs. In the corner of the finished section of the basement is my training room. I have a Computrainer. I said as long as we are down here I asked if I do easy spinning on the trainier. Maybe on the next visit! YaHoo. I am going to get back on my bike this season!

Fingers are crossed!!

Monty
Great news! Don't be as stubborn as I am. I almost got stuck on my trainer after 'climbing' on it when my wife was gone :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.