Who has put a SSD in the Optical Drive Bay ??

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
TY liab . . .. Ill have a look at them, and get back to you if i need any help :)
I primarily want to have my TimeCapsule see my old 750gb HHD that it was backing up from, because now it still see's it, but proceeds to backup BUT from it being a new backup, 330 odd GB.
So if you have any pointers i would be happy :)
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I primarily want to have my TimeCapsule see my old 750gb HHD that it was backing up from, because now it still see's it, but proceeds to backup BUT from it being a new backup, 330 odd GB.
So if you have any pointers i would be happy :)
Cheers

Well I think it sees the old drive as a "new" drive because you are now booting up from another volume and thus wants to re-do it all. I don't know of a way around this. Once it has run its course, it should go back to only updating "changed" files and once the TC is full, it will auto-delete the oldest backups.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well I think it sees the old drive as a "new" drive because you are now booting up from another volume and thus wants to re-do it all. I don't know of a way around this. Once it has run its course, it should go back to only updating "changed" files and once the TC is full, it will auto-delete the oldest backups.

Yea i had a look last night and that what it seems to be doing, but also including my SSD now and see it all as 1 HHD ??? Hmm so im going through and excluding things on the SSD and ill let it runs it course. Do you know how long it takes to Delete a TM sparse.bundle of 340gb ?? A Looooooong time lol
Thanks mate

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You guys are for all practical purposes right about what was causing Time machine to start a new backup. The backup is apparently tied to specific hard drives via a UUID. Changing to a new hard drive changes the UUID thus Time Machine thinks this is a new setup. More info and possible fix. Time Machine: Inherit Backup Using `tmutil` - Simon Heimlicher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys are for all practical purposes right about what was causing Time machine to start a new backup. The backup is apparently tied to specific hard drives via a UUID. Changing to a new hard drive changes the UUID thus Time Machine thinks this is a new setup. More info and possible fix. Time Machine: Inherit Backup Using `tmutil` - Simon Heimlicher

Thanks for this Sly óle mate :)

Ill remember that for next time, and the author is one smart cookie, and i also found this, Time Machine: UUID of Disk Changed - Simon Heimlicher as well that might well come in handy, and would of for me a few times. ;)

What i ended up doing was, to delete the sparse.bundle and it took about 3 hrs to completely delete OTA, but it went, and i had already done a SuperDuper backup to a 750gb Ext, and i cleaned the Macintosh HD up and got my iTunes in order with iDentify and looks beautiful, then i set up time machine again from the SSD.
What i find funny, is TM was seeing that the new SSD and the old Macintosh HD as 1 ?? Can anyone explain that too me please ?? So i went ahead and excluded my SSD Home Folder, Music, Movies, DropBox, Google Drive and Applications (From Mac HD) and set it on its way.
This is why i know TM saw the 2 HD's now as one, because as i was excluding Folders from my SSD, the size of the initial Backup was getting smaller, so i excluded the Home Folder from the Mac HD and the size went down again, and then i deleted it from exclusions and it went back up.

All very confusing but i have now got a TM backup going perfectly and only backing up a few MB's every hour as it should be as i am only surfing at the moment.
Thanks for the help Sly and liab :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad that helped.

BTW Thanks for that note about iDentfy. I'm fixing my iTunes library for the third or fourth time in the last few weeks. I have a batch of video to add that we used to play on the Mac Pro. Now that I am getting it organized perhaps my wife will use it.

In the past few months I have cleaned up a bunch of duplicates. Then made two backups of the library. Somewhere along the way the folder synch program I was using borked up and did not copy the entire library. As a result, when I moved the contents to a new network drive I cleared the copy from my TC because it was not releasing free space as it was supposed to.

In the midst of reloading missing files i accidentally tagged about 600 songs as belonging to the same album. Needless to say I am a bit cheesed at iTunes for the moment.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad that helped.

BTW Thanks for that note about iDentfy. I'm fixing my iTunes library for the third or fourth time in the last few weeks. I have a batch of video to add that we used to play on the Mac Pro. Now that I am getting it organized perhaps my wife will use it.

In the past few months I have cleaned up a bunch of duplicates. Then made two backups of the library. Somewhere along the way the folder synch program I was using borked up and did not copy the entire library. As a result, when I moved the contents to a new network drive I cleared the copy from my TC because it was not releasing free space as it was supposed to.

In the midst of reloading missing files i accidentally tagged about 600 songs as belonging to the same album. Needless to say I am a bit cheesed at iTunes for the moment.

No worries mate . . . You scratched mine, i scratched yours lol, but really iDentify is a great little App that i bought and happy i did, because i was sick of looking at nothing really in my iTunes Library.
Keep a eye out in Schweb's Lounge, because im just about to make a post in there re: iDentify/iTunes/iTunes Remote and ATV :)

1 thing i will say, is make sure you have Preferences set up the way you want, or nothing happens lol 3 times i tried, until i realised i didnt go into Preferences yet hahahahaha

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that heads up. I have re-downloaded some content purchased through iTunes several times due to all the library screw ups. Several of the downloads could have been avoided hid I realized that some of their content is tagged in some "interesting" ways (parts of albums appearing in several places in the library because of the artist listed in "sort order").

M

MacInWin

Just saw this thread. I upped my MBP to SSD by replacing the HDD with SSD, then moving the HDD to the Optical bay with the data doubler from OWC. Worked a treat. I don't see the problem you are having with TM seeing it all as one drive. Could it be that the HDD still has the OS on it, and that is the trigger for it to see them as one? WIth my installation, I backup up the old drive with CCC, then did the installation of the hardware, reinstalled ML and my applications on the SSD, then restored everything else to the HDD from the CCC backup. I did eventually have to have a Users folder with my account name on the SSD because some apps apparently will only write to the boot disk (Calibre and Parallels are two) no matter what you do. I use CCC to backup the HDD, TM to backup the SSD. I don't need the SSD backed up that much, so I use Time Machine Scheduler to schedule the backup just once a day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.