• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Which would be best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
My wife's 2015 MacBook Pro has given up the ghost, so need to buy new laptop. I can't make up my mind whether to get a new 2022 MacBook Air with M1 chip with AppleCare + for £1400 or I can buy a 20i7 15" MacBook Pro, 16 GB RAM; 512 SSD HD, fully refurbished with 2 years warranty for £695. Money not the problem, any help appreciated.

As you may know I have a 2019 MacBook Air with Intel Chip and it's about one of the worst Mac's I've ever had, bought from PC world in 2020 for £975. Heard lots of good feedback about M1 MacBook Air, but my current 2019 model keeps running out of memory an as soldered to logic board cannot add more RAM.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Jim

Well, if it were me, and money was not the most important consideration, I'd go for the M1 2022 MacBook Air.

It's really 2017 versus 2022 and Intel versus Apple Silicon. No competition if you leave out cost.

Ian

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Thanks Ian, I think I'll go for MacBook Air with M1. I'm sure there are Applications I hardly ever use so can uninstall them with Universal Uninstaller I have, and save RAM.

PS. in one post I said the whole package was £1325, the other £1200, the latter one is correct after receiving the order from Apple

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I vote for the M1 MacBook Air as well.

* Apple silicon based Mac's are supposed to be much faster than Intel based Mac's overcall (definitely faster than a 2017 MacBook Pro).
* M1 Mac's can still run Intel-based apps just as fast as Mac's with an Intel CPU (via Rosetta 2).
* Apple silicon Mac's are the latest technology/direction for Apple...and will be for years to come. Much more "future-proof" than anything Intel based (in the Apple world).

Nick

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your explanation Nick, most appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks Ian, I think I'll go for MacBook Air with M1. I'm sure there are Applications I hardly ever use so can uninstall them with Universal Uninstaller I have, and save RAM.

Are you sure you are not confusing memory RAM with drive storage space???

Applications only use memory RAM when they are running. Installed applications use a drive's storage space.

Both may or may not be upgradeable depending on Mac model.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I have the same model as Jim40 and, out of curiosity, looked up how much Apple would give on trade-in: £150. Luckily it is working fine and had a the battery replacement when they were catchimg fire so hoping for a few more years yet.

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, my current 2019 MacBook Air with Intel chip regularly runs out of RAM. Pity it has the 8GB RAM soldered on the logic board. So whilst not impossible, too big and expensive to increase it to 16 MB.
I have the same model as Jim40 and, out of curiosity, looked up how much Apple would give on trade-in: £150. Luckily it is working fine and had a the battery replacement when they were catchimg fire so hoping for a few more years yet.
I just done a deal with Apple for a 13.3" M1 MacBook Air at £999, memory upgrade to 16 GB about £175
and AppleCare+ for 3 years total £1200. AppleCare+ is only £169 now, used to be £259. Only problem is delivery date 16-24 August mainly due to silicon chip shortage. They offered me £350 for my 2019 MacBook Air, but declined as it works fine except for emails, so will pass it on to my wife.

Like a kid now waiting for Christmas 🙃

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
No, my current 2019 MacBook Air with Intel chip regularly runs out of RAM. Pity it has the 8GB RAM soldered on the logic board. So whilst not impossible, too big and expensive to increase it to 16 MB.

I just done a deal with Apple for a 13.3" M1 MacBook Air at £999, memory upgrade to 16 GB about £175
and AppleCare+ for 3 years total £1325. AppleCare+ is only £169 now, used to be £259. Only problem is delivery date 16-24 August mainly due to silicon chip shortage. They offered me £350 for my 2019 MacBook Air, but declined as it works fine except for emails, so will pass it on to my wife.

Like a kid now waiting for Christmas 🙃
That's next week...enjoy.

I'm toying with the idea of a new iPad mini as mine seems slow but other than on holidays, I mainly use it for reading on the kindle app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, my current 2019 MacBook Air with Intel chip regularly runs out of RAM. Pity it has the 8GB RAM soldered on the logic board.

Maybe try changing some computer use habits if possible until your new MBAir arrives.

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
No, my current 2019 MacBook Air with Intel chip regularly runs out of RAM.
Did you ever figure out why?
We have a number of different Macs in the family incluing two 2017 MacBook Airs, as well as MacBook pros an Mac Minis - they all have 8 GB of RAM and nobody has ever seen this "Run out of Application Memory" message.
The Mac Mini that I use typically runs 24/7, I hardly ever close any applications (I currently have 22 running)
I read the article that Patrick posted - for us this is not a "normal" situation as the article implies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read the article that Patrick posted - for us this is not a "normal" situation as the article implies.

To be quite honest, I must admit I was rather surprised at the number of hits with that URL as well that I posted, and didn't really think it was that much of a problem or even common.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
"Run out of Application Memory"
I see this occasionally when I have multiple Safari windows tabs open. Also, if there are multiple users logged in at the same time.

krs

Reaction score
To be quite honest, I must admit I was rather surprised at the number of hits with that URL as well that I posted, and didn't really think it was that much of a problem or even common.
Maybe the hits were there because people were wondering what that was all about - like me.

krs

Reaction score
I see this occasionally when I have multiple Safari windows tabs open. Also, if there are multiple users logged in at the same time.
Nobody in my family uses Safari - maybe that is part of the explanation why we never saw this message, don't understand your comment re multiple users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Gee... how do you manage to do that???

It sounds like someone needs to consider purchasing another computer so that all users have their own device and save all the sharing involved.

Hey it's only money Bob... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have three user accounts on my 2014 Mac mini 8GB ram. My 12 yo daughter uses my Mini occasionally and doesn't always log out when done using it. I used to see this when she left YouTube or games open and I logged in to use it. I had her not use a password so I can log her out when she's not using it, and I don't see it for that reason anymore.

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe try changing some computer use habits if possible until your new MBAir arrives.

- Patrick
=======
Yes, I agree. I often launch Applications, and forget to close them when not needed. I think it's age related as I am 81 years old with multiple pathologies. Thanks for your help and links. Never used Activity Monitor before. This will be the last Mac I buy, hence the 16 GB RAM and AppleCare+

Jim

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I agree. I often launch Applications, and forget to close them when not needed. I think it's age related as I am 81 years old with multiple pathologies.

Congratulations, I am also 81 but usually manage to remember to close out any applications that I am not using. Even if I forget, the amount of memory used when I check Activity Monitor is barely even showing. But I guess it helps having 20 GB RAM installed on my 2011 iMac.

I hope you enjoy your new Mac when you receive it.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Patrick
=======
Congratulations, I am also 81 but usually manage to remember to close out any applications that I am not using. Even if I forget, the amount of memory used when I check Activity Monitor is barely even showing. But I guess it helps having 20 GB RAM installed on my 2011 iMac.

I hope you enjoy your new Mac when you receive it.

- Patrick
=======
Thanks Patrick.

Regretfully it won't arrive until 16 August at the earliest, or as late as 24 August, no explanation why, except shortage of silicon chips, bt had to pay in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.