Which web browser do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
it's annoying that I can't skip to the top or bottom of a webpage with a three finger swipe

Try BetterTouchTool app, it's quite good. I added several gestures to Safari with it and it's really made browsing more comfortable (for example I use "pinch in" to close a tab, "pinch out" to open one, "rotate" to refresh etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
Firefox

I use a number of machines (home, office, laptop) and with the Xmarks plug-in, my bookmarks are kept synchronized. Toss in AdBlock and NoScript, and it's pretty much perfect.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Try BetterTouchTool app, it's quite good. I added several gestures to Safari with it and it's really made browsing more comfortable (for example I use "pinch in" to close a tab, "pinch out" to open one, "rotate" to refresh etc).

Yeah, thanks. I've known about BTT for a while now, but I really don't like the idea of running extra apps for something which shouldn't be necessary. If memory consumption between Safari and BTT were less still than a session with Firefox, I might be tempted, but there's still the issue of extensions other than mouse gestures.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Imac, 3.06 ghz processor, 1 TB HD, 256 meg ATI Graphics card
I use Safari on my iMac because it is fast, does what I need and doesn't remind me of Windows or a PC in any way! I still have my Dell PC (for Windows only applications) and I use Firefox on it. But the load time is really long. The Mac is so much faster loading the OS and Safari. One thing I do like better about Firefox is that one can set it to empty all the files when you quit. So, when I restart, all cookies, files, and such are gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box
I hate firefox, because it's 3 times as slow as any other browser, but I was wondering something else.

I see no reason to use Safari instead of Chrome. Have any of you Safari lovers tried it? I did the other day and noticed a significant change in speed. Plus it has some themes and can open all the windows from your last session automatically.

Reaction score
Been using Google Chrome a little bit more recently and I'm honestly falling in love with now.. Definitely has most of the bugs fixed from the initial release and some of the extensions are perfect for my needs. I've been able to get rid of a few of my bookmarks thanks to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
Opera

I have used FF and Camino mostly and messed with chrome a bit. Chrome has the best memory management of them all and is nice and quick. FF internal behavior is sloven

Each time Opera comes out with a new version I give it a try. After about a week some glaring bug pops up that is so painful I revert back to Camino or Chrome. But version 10.53 has won me over on the PC and Mac now for well over a month. It's very quick and packed with features. It's the most customizable browser I have seen. You can make it very sanitary looking or clutter it with every button imaginable. Although I don't use it the built email client is a nice all-in-one feature. Resizable fingernail tabs is also cool. It's still a little memory and cpu hog like FF but I like it better.

Give it a whirl.

Reaction score
Firefox for now

I've been a big fan of Safari ever since I started using a Mac. My favorite version was 4 beta - I really liked the tabs up top. Needless to say I was upset when they dropped the tabs and made changes so that the beta could no longer be installed on certain versions of the OS. I used Safari 4 for a little while until I noticed strange hang ups and slow performance. For example, if I stopped Safari from loading the default home page (i.e. started typing an address or clicking on a bookmarked link while it was loading the set homepage) it was almost as if Safari got ****** or something. Nothing would load and it would just hang. I would have to force quit Safari, launch it, and quit it again before it would load a page. This still continues for me with the current version. Safari acts very strange now.

I've been using Firefox since.

And just a recommendation to those who don't like the look of Firefox: give Foxdie a try. It has skins that look just like the Leopard/Snow Leopard Safari plus it's a very well written theme.

P.S. the I'm using the following OS' and experience the Safari hangs: 10.4.11 (I think that's the latest version of 10.4), 10.5.8 (? - whatever the latest version of 10.5 is), and 10.6.3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone
Google Chrome - bril

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Ghz 15' MBPro, 32G iPhone3GS, 64Gb iPad 3G
Firefox

I use Firefox because of only ONE reason- AdBlock Plus.

I cant imagine my life without this plugin, and sadly the equivalent on Safari is no where close to what I have on Firefox.

However, full screen rendering on Safari is better...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 2.4Ghz, 250GB, 2GB Memory|13.3" MacBook Pro, 320GB, 4GB Memory, 2.66Ghz|8GB iPod tou
Safari/Firefox/Chrome

Firefox was my thing, til I switched to Mac and it was Safari everything. iPod, iPhone, Windows, Mac, now iPad. (I only have the iPod, Mac, and Windows).

Now.... I'm sorry to say, but Google Chrome is really bringin it.

With the new Safari 5, I miss Safari and I'm using both, but as soon as I get my MacBook Pro 15.4" in a few weeks, I'm going back to Safari and maybe a little Chrome.

My 20" iMac will be lonely this year after the MacBook Pro.

:)
DJ Jibz

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm gonna go ahead and lock this thread and we'll start a new one.

Choices have changed so much since 2004 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.