Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.42f4
Serial Number (system): W89430FX8YB
Hardware UUID: E0699113-A45D-5B39-AF24-2DB8A6C6FC27
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

This looks close. Newegg.com - G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ

Newegg does not provide advice on which RAM to buy or a guarantee if it goes wrong.

However, notice my Mac Book Pro has the 3.06 Processor speed., and some forums seem to report issues that revolve around the graphic card. Which makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I have:
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3436
gMux Version: 1.7.10
Displays:
Display Connector:
Display Connector:

AND

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0647
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3436
gMux Version: 1.7.10
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Stretched: Yes
Display Connector:

And some forums suggest that performance is better enhanced by spending ones money on a SSD. Perhaps you have some data to show the interrelationship between Maxing out the RAM versus a SSD.

Crucial Configurator shows: All Apple MacBook Pro 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (17-inch DDR3) Mid-2009 Memory Upgrades (RAM) / CT999657

Memory Upgrade for the Apple MacBook Pro 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (17-inch DDR3) Mid-2009 Laptop/Notebook

Which is correct. and then. 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-8500 memory module
CT999657
Module Size: 8GB Kit (4GBx2)
Package: 204-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR3 PC3-8500
Specs: DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

I also notice the Crucial RAM is unbuffered, and some seem to say that for a Mac it must be buffered.

From the ratings, I think I would rather buy Gskill RAM. Hope I can find the correct RAM at Newegg. But I might end up buying from Crucial on the Crucial website as they seem to be willing to take it back if it is the RAM is either incorrect or does not work. Thank you for helping me with this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You could also try these guys:

OWC

Their ram selection process is pretty simple & straightforward.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Any 204 pin DDR3 PC 8500 RAM will work, even if its 1333 mhz etc.

If you use all 4gb of your RAM currently, then yes RAM would help. Plus the Crucial is Non ECC (Error Code Correcting) which you want ECC if possible if you leave apps open for extended periods of time. But 8gb of RAM is a waste of money for most people, as they never go over 4gb.

Plus look at the reviews on Newegg. G.SKILL and Mushkin are two of the best as they have lifetime warranties, and the reps post on the reviews if sticks are bad.

If your hard drive is the stock 5400 RPM drive a new HDD will show the most improvement. SSD's are still fairly new, and with CES right around the corner, I expect them to release new SSD's. Plus they are expensive per GB. You can get a 7200 rpm drive which will cut boot time from like a minute and a half to around 30 seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
And some forums suggest that performance is better enhanced by spending ones money on a SSD. Perhaps you have some data to show the interrelationship between Maxing out the RAM versus a SSD.

Difference between HDD/ SSD and RAM to improve computer speed, are quite different so you cannot really compare them as equal alternatives to each other. Upgrading to a SSD will improve performance, but so will RAM, combine them together and you will notice a considerable difference.

In relation to finding the perfect RAM I suggest you try RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com (select your country from the top right), it can scan your computer and tell you exactly what RAM is compatible and also give you the links for purchasing it. But with the knowledge it gives you, you can use that and shop else-where if need be.

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
Thank you for the replies.

OWC does not show a RAM replacement for the 3.06 Ghz processor but does for the the 2.8 Ghz processor. I just went to the Apple store and looked how they listed the ram for both, which looks to be the same. I will put OWC back near the top of my list for possibles.

I already used the Crucial configurator to get the Crucial recommendation that I showed the link for.

As I look on the overclockers forum, those guys seem to use Gskill RAM a lot.

My first post is very close to an email that I sent to Gskill technical support who did not acknowledge the email I sent. Rumor is that they are a very small company which makes some pretty good stuff, but for which some kinds of customer attention is lacking. By other forums: They might ship something different than what one ordered, not be quick on an RMA if there is a problem. However, they are good people.

A few months back I was looking to put 2 GB RAM into an ASUS Netbook. As I read the associated ASUS forums, the RAM which first seemed correct had problems, the least of which was a hang on shut down. The RAM which worked cost twice as much and is the Corsair Gaming memory.

Occurred to me that some similar thing might happen here in my trying to get RAM for a Mac Book Pro.

If I am running VMware and have allocated 1 GB for a Windows xx, then, yes, I expect response under load will be awful. Likewise many Linux distros are so full featured that they need a lot of RAM to be happy as well.

The question I think some have raised is whether I really need to run VMware with the other OS so to create my need for the 8 GB's.

I paid a similar number of dollars to upgrade an ASUS Netbook from one to two GB of RAM, and now l am hesitating on doing the same to take a Mac Book Pro from 4 to 8 GB of RAM, which on some level is strange.

Another strange thing is that no one has any real tests to compare the speed with different amounts of RAM, SSD versus hard drive. Some years ago, on Windows the 5400 RPM drive could perform quite well compared to the 7200 RPM drive if the 5400 RPM drive partition was small. I suspect that is no longer true with journaled file systems, whether they are NTFS or Mac. I also have a hunch the real way to get speed from a hard drive is to get a hard drive with the maximum cache size. Then there is thing of setting the cluster size, which no one documents the effects of in standardized speed tests.

Hard to guess how real life might be different than a standardized test. I guess it depends on who writes the tests. Obviously, what different people call real use of a computer is also different.

When I was at the Apple store a few months back, in response to a similar question of testing speeds someone offered to sell me a speed testing software for like fifty dollars, or let me demo it with different computers in the store.

As of right now, I will email OWC and ask if the RAM they show is really the right RAM for this processor speed. I wonder if anyone would think to tell me if the RAM I would be getting will automatically throttle down some other speed process in the computer. I think I will wait another two days, and if I can not better determine whether the Gskill RAM is not the right stuff, I will put OWC RAM at the top of the list.

Then try to convince myself I really need to spend the money.

I was hoping someone had an experience with doing the Gskill RAM upgrade on exactly this Mac Book Pro.

One of the other reasons to hope for more speed with more RAM is how the interleaving effect of multiple channels works when more RAM is available, even if only part of it is used. However, I do not know enough under the hood stuff to know if that is even possible.

The largest speed increase I have had with this Mac Book Pro is to change it to 64 bit mode from the way it was shipped to me, in 32 bit mode. I see statements that RAM is better utilized in 64 bit mode as opposed to 32.

Perhaps I should remove the printer driver. Used to be that Printer Drivers, even when not being used, were resource hogs.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another strange thing is that no one has any real tests to compare the speed with different amounts of RAM, SSD versus hard drive.

I was hoping someone had an experience with doing the Gskill RAM upgrade on exactly this Mac Book Pro.

RAM allows for better multi tasking.
A faster HDD / SSD allows for faster booting and quicker application loading, as stated earlier in this thread.
If you do not even use 4gb of RAM, 8gb is a waste of money, as I said earlier. The #1 way to increase snappiness of a system is a new HDD. There are no tests because RAM and HD's do 2 different things. Ask anyone who knows their stuff, HD's are the most inexpensive and most noticeable upgrade you can possibly do.

And as far as the RAM upgrade, if you look on Newegg and read the reviews (like I said earlier) people will give their reviews. I know people have reviewed G.SKILL RAM in MBP's so just look.

And as far as having a 3.06 ghz processor, that has nothing to do with RAM. It's all the mobo. RAM goes into the mobo, not the processor. You can have a 2.0 ghz c2d or a 3.06 c2d, and both will accept DDR3 PC 8500 RAM.

edit: Here give that a read...
And Here is a real life thread with real people sharing their experiences.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OWC does not show a RAM replacement for the 3.06 Ghz processor but does for the the 2.8 Ghz processor.

I'm not really sure where all the confusion is. If we're talking about the same computer that's in your profile....then it can be clearly seen in this link from OWC...that the 17" MacBook Pro 3.06ghz is included:

MacBook, MacBook Pro

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
I would have no way of knowing that both 17" would have the same Mobo. So I have learned something.

Maybe my senior moment caused me to say that OWC did not list the RAM when it was another manufacturer. OR, I should have just known that the RAM for both processors would be the same.

The email from Gskill on this subject is:

Dear Customer

I would suggest our Apple tested memory kit.

FA-8500CL7D-8GBSQ

Memory vs. SSD is not a proper comparison. If you use over 4GB, then of course you need more memory. Having low available physical memory will bog down the system and lag. But if you barely use up to 3-4GB, then you may not need more memory and the SSD would be much more beneficial.

SSD will be faster because the constant access time is <0.1ns where as standard HDDs are 8.9ns+ average, not constant. This alone will make your system operate much faster, but it does take more maintenance since the OS does not support SSDs yet. SSDs can get somewhat technical, so you will want to do some reading on them.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Memory vs. SSD is not a proper comparison. If you use over 4GB, then of course you need more memory. Having low available physical memory will bog down the system and lag. But if you barely use up to 3-4GB, then you may not need more memory and the SSD would be much more beneficial.

SSD will be faster because the constant access time is <0.1ns where as standard HDDs are 8.9ns+ average, not constant. This alone will make your system operate much faster, but it does take more maintenance since the OS does not support SSDs yet. SSDs can get somewhat technical, so you will want to do some reading on them.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Same thing I said in my post, a few up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would have no way of knowing that both 17" would have the same Mobo. So I have learned something.

I still don't see the confusion! You said in an earlier post that OWC DID NOT list your model MacBook Pro because you have the 3.06ghz cpu.

In the link I provided above...it CLEARLY lists the 17" 3.06ghz MacBook Pro in the list of compatible Macintosh notebook models that are compatible with ram upgrades listed on the link/page.

You actually have not clearly identified the EXACT MacBook Pro model you have. You gave us a whole lot of info in your initial post...but you DID NOT tell use the display size (which is VERY important)! Your Mac-Forums profile says you have a 17" 3.06ghz MacBook Pro...so I'm assuming this is the MacBook Pro we are discussing.

Again...this link:

MacBook, MacBook Pro

...CLEARLY lists your 3.06ghz 17" MacBook Pro (which you said earlier in post #5 {1st sentence} that OWC DID NOT list it).

Just order the ram upgrade from the link I provided...and everything will be fine!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.