Where did my Hard Drive Icon Go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
What controls everything on my Mini is accessed by a "Macintosh HD" icon. Which just went missing. It looks like I
didn't lose any applications or data, just the icon.

Any retrieval suggestions?

Thanks,

bmahin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
1. Click anywhere there's free space on the desktop.
2. Top left, next to the apple logo, click on "Finder".
3. From the drop-down menu, choose "Preferences..."
4. In "Show these items on the desktop", make sure that "Hard disks" is checked.

That should do it. You might need to kill and re-launch the Finder before it shows up again.

If the Hard disks checkbox is already checked, I'm stumped.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I agree with Horsa. I also wondered if a reboot would return the icon.

A reboot would do no harm and is a reasonable thing to do anyway, from time to time.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Thanks to both of you. Unfortunately icon still missing.

bmahin

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Great, but embarrassing news.

Hidden away -- in a cluster of other icons-- I really need to Ai yi clean upmy dekstop -- I found the missing icon.

All is well.

And, again, thank you.

bmahin

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@bmahin

Good news. Message is: keep your Desktop free of all files except those you are currently working on.

It is true, as many say, that "Desktop" is a Folder like any other, but it is not supposed to be where one stores files - and a cluttered Desktop does slow down the rebooting process.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Great, but embarrassing news.

Hidden away -- in a cluster of other icons-- I really need to Ai yi clean upmy dekstop -- I found the missing icon.
Didn't know if you knew...but having lots & lots of stuff on your desktop is not very good.

Check out #4 in the list:

Nick

p.s. Also please use appropriate thread titles. Original thread title was..."Can't believe this happened." Really helps when members use thread titles that are descriptive to the thread topic. Thanks:)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just a follow up, you say, "What controls everything on my Mini is accessed by a "Macintosh HD" icon."
For some years now I have not bothered to show the Macintosh HD on my desktop. After all it only displays:
Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 9.17.01 am.png
The only folder that I would use out of the above is the Applications folder and I prefer Launchpad. Neither the Library, System or Users folders are of any real use in normal day to day operation.

I primarily use the Finder window, dont you? If not, why not? No offence intended, I'm just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I primarily use the Finder window, dont you? If not, why not? No offence intended, I'm just curious.
I also did away with showing drives (everything actually) on my desktop. When it is just as easy to open a Finder window. And if someone so chooses, they can set up each Finder window to open a certain folder like the Macintosh HD (or whatever the startup drive is named).

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 3.08.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 3.08.33 PM.png

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The reason I asked was just curiosity. Based on the fact that the Macintosh HD was "lost" amongst other icons. My guess is the OP has a lot of icons on the desktop. The fact that the HD icon was not fixed in the top right corner suggests that either no Desktop Display preferences have been set eg. By Size (which would lock the HD top right) or by Name (which would make it easier to find).

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 8.12.51 am.png

Of course everyone can setup their device however they want but this was one of the first things I changed. The other thing, and this is going way back, was the display settings for the Downloads icon on the Dock. By default it's set to Stacks. I really disliked Stacks and changed it to the below;

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 8.20.38 am.png
Today there is an option to simply open the "Downloads" folder which makes the Dock icon into a shortcut to the actual folder (which I hadn't noticed till just now).

The above is a perfect example of what I was getting at. I know some people never change the default settings on their device.
Perhaps they think that this is the way Apple designed the device to be so it must work best that way. Perhaps it's because they fear changing something they can't change back. Or maybe they just never look at the options.

When a person gets a computer for the first time I know the first thing they wonder is where to put things they create or download so that they can find them again easily. The obvious answer is the desktop, I know it was for me. Of course the desktop fills up and lacking some sort of tutorial on how to use the Finder, the heart of the Mac Operating System, they may be tempted to drag files and folders to the most obvious, easily accessible space, the Macintosh HD icon. After all it's right there on the Desktop by default.

I have seen this done and quite frankly it's a mess. Like a filing cabinet with no dividers. Of course this may not be the case with bmahin but I was reminded of my example by his description of the Macintosh HD icon.

I really despair that the Mac does not come with some sort of tutorial that would start users off on the right foot using the Mac's great built in filing system and a few basic preference options they could quickly tailor to their individual needs, rather than leaving it up to third party or even Apple web sites where users with no knowledge of what they actually want have to sift through reams of data.

Just a little rant from me. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I really despair that the Mac does not come with some sort of tutorial that would start users off on the right foot using the Mac's great built in filing system and a few basic preference options they could quickly tailor to their individual needs, rather than leaving it up to third party or even Apple web sites where users with no knowledge of what they actually want have to sift through reams of data.
Here you go, Rod.

Apple has an entire user guide online for macOS, as well as WatchOS, iPadOS, iPhoneOS and most of their applications. You find them at Apple.com, click the spyglass icon, type in "user guide" and they all show up.

EDIT: and for the Desktop, there is this:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW!! o_O
Fantastic Jake, I have never seen the, "Ways to organize files on your Mac desktop" page, probably because I've never looked and therein lies the problem. Somehow the fact that this information is available needs, in my humble opinion, to be incorporated into the end of the setup process or first desktop so novice users can access it before they create hard to fix problems. Like a shortcut to a user manual prominently displayed on the desktop, even if it only contains web links. Then you could bookmark the ones you like and refer back to them over time.

Anyway, I'll definitely bookmark the macOS User Guide home page for future reference. I probably have individual pages bookmarked already but not the start page below.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.