When to connect power adapter?

Reaction score
Originally from Virginia, currently living in Hano
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13-inch retina, Early 2015, 2.7 i5 processor, 8 GB Memory. iPhone 7.
This may seem like a silly question to some, but I honestly have no clue on when to use battery power or when to plug in the power adapter. I normally charge my laptop to 100% then unplug it and use battery power until it gets to about 5%. However, a friend recently suggested that I plug my Macbook in when I use it while I'm working and to only use the battery when I can't plug it in.

What's the best way to preserve battery and get the most life out of my Macbook? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
This may seem like a silly question to some, but I honestly have no clue on when to use battery power or when to plug in the power adapter. I normally charge my laptop to 100% then unplug it and use battery power until it gets to about 5%. However, a friend recently suggested that I plug my Macbook in when I use it while I'm working and to only use the battery when I can't plug it in.

What's the best way to preserve battery and get the most life out of my Macbook? Thanks.

Hi MooSR - this is an oft asked question in the forum and plenty of threads are available on the topic - just three that I've been in:

Link 1 - Link 2 - Link 3

For myself, my MBPro usually sits next to my den chair and is plugged in nearly all of the time - about once a month, I allow the battery to fully discharge, i.e. < 10%, and then recharge (which would be a complete cycle) - please look @ the links (and links within) and post back further questions. Dave :)

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, a friend recently suggested that I plug my Macbook in when I use it while I'm working and to only use the battery when I can't plug it in.

Yeyyyy. Smart friend!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yeyyyy. Smart friend!!!:)

- Nick

And hopefully running for election!!! Some people like that seem to be needed. ;)

LOL! :D Regardless of all of the information in the links that I provided, basically what I do, i.e. keep it plugged until I need to use the laptop on the porch when our cleaning service comes twice a month! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
The prevailing wisdom of today is that LiIon batteries are best cared-for when the charge is NOT allowed to dissipate "too deeply" and they are kept from getting overly warm. Running the charge way down before charging it back up will cause a deeper discharge and will increase the temps a bit because of the act of charging. So, keeping it plugged in as much as possible is in your battery's best interest for health's sake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.