What's Yosemite all about?

OP
U
Reaction score
Very very true..

I am a firm believer when it comes to corporate/government businesses, including schools. That if the current computer OS's are not broken, don't fix them.. Unless there is software requiring everyone to upgrade for the sake of usage, do not do it. There is always something, no matter how hard you try to test everything that will end up not working as it should or at all and screws up the whole flow of everything.

I highly suggest picking one machine to upgrade, then test every program out on it for a year before upgrading any of the other systems..

Believe me, if I had control over this there would be no changes unless I knew we had the tech support to back it up! As a teacher I have no say.

OP
U
Reaction score
We tried loading Yosemite on one laptop and it seems to work well. Would it be better to go with it rather than 10.7? I'm wondering if it's too big a leap and also what kind of bugs might come up.
Also, the updating (I guess because you can do it online) requires multiple email addresses, which is a real hassle too it seems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am not sure if it has happened already but it will eventually, 10.7 will not get security updates and this could be a concern.

If Yosemite will work with all your hardware and software I would recommend it. If you are still concerned consider Mavericks. It is very stable.

I would recommend creating a usb bootable drive with Yosemite on it to avoid multiple downloads and the time it takes.

How to make a bootable OS X 10.10 Yosemite install drive | Macworld

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
We tried loading Yosemite on one laptop and it seems to work well. Would it be better to go with it rather than 10.7? I'm wondering if it's too big a leap and also what kind of bugs might come up.
Also, the updating (I guess because you can do it online) requires multiple email addresses, which is a real hassle too it seems.

You should never use a OS that is less then 6 months old. Some prefer a year. This gives the manufacture (Apple in this case) time to work out all the bugs and security issues. Yosemite came out last month, many users that have upgraded like myself have had major issues (I went back and reinstalled Mavericks on my system). Right now I would say upgrading to Yosemite 10.10 on your schools systems is like playing Russian Roulette, but with 2 bullets in your revolver.. Odds may still be in your favor, but the wrist IMHO is to high.

Mavericks is free upgrade, has been out for just over a year and is very stable. That is IMHO the best option IF all your current software will work on it. Software compatibility is huge importance here. Microsoft Office 2008 for example will NOT work on Yosemite 10.10.

But all the school record software, grading software and what ever else is used needs to be fully tested before upgrading.

OP
U
Reaction score
OK, I'm really confused now.

The IT guy who was supposed to help me has been scarce. I have no other tech support at my school. You are telling me not to load 10.10 because of bugs, but what are my options? 10.6 apparently wont connect to wifi because of a new encryption (who created that and why?). Will 10.10 create problems with imovie, iphoto, Adobe creative suite or the latest Sketchup? Those are all I use. Maybe it's not an issue then?

I want to start downloading this OS on my own, but when I attempt to I am asked for my apple id. Why? Can I put it in for 40 laptops? What are the implications if I do this? Why does the IT guy tell me we will need some email accounts to download?

Please help me resolve this. None of my students have an internet connection on these laptops,it's messing up my curriculum and I have no support. You guys are all I have!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
This is not going to help any but your 'IT guy' seems more of a hindrance than a help. You need someone locally who knows what they are talking about. Is there a student parent who is mac aware or a friendly, mac savvy, neighbour perhaps? What about other staff? Who supplied the computers in the first place (don't tell me it was your IT guy)? Do you have an Apple store near by? Can you ISP provide any assistance (esp regarding the 'new encryption' issue, whatever that is)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will 10.10 create problems with imovie, iphoto, Adobe creative suite or the latest Sketchup? Those are all I use. Maybe it's not an issue then?

Okay, they have now released OS X 10.10.1 which has fixed a lot of the issues people were having. I have 10.10.1 on my MB Pro and I use Adobe Production Suite CS6 with no problems. I tested imovie and iphoto and they are working fine also.

I want to start downloading this OS on my own, but when I attempt to I am asked for my apple id. Why? Can I put it in for 40 laptops? What are the implications if I do this? Why does the IT guy tell me we will need some email accounts to download?

Yosemite is free so there will be no issues with software licensing. You do not need email addresses to download but you will need at least one apple id. You can down load Yosemite on your computer using your apple id. Make sure when it is done you copy and paste the install file to a different location if you plan to install it on your computer as after Yosemite installs it deletes the install file.

Then make a usb installer of Yosemite for the other computers. Here is a link that will walk you through how to do that:

Then boot from the usb, do a clean install on the student computers. You can skip setting up apple id and icloud id during the install. You won't need any email addresses especially if you don't set up the apple and icloud id stuff.

I know it can be a bit overwhelming but try it on your own computer then on one student computer and see if it works the way you want.

And if you get really confident, and if the student computers are all the same, you could even try cloning them from the first student computer that is now all set up with all the appropriate software installed (provided you have site licenses for it all, if necessary.)

I hope this helps.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
With a wink usingmac, any chance your IT guy has a long flowing beard and is named Noah?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Lisa - nice summary - I approve! :)

Upgraded my MBPro two nights ago - copied the Yosemite installer to a USB flash drive (once I'm happy w/ the OS on my laptop, I'll then upgrade wife's iMac w/ that copy instead of waiting to DL it to her computer) and made a 'bootable' USB drive using the first suggestion in your link, which was easy & quick.

Of course, also did a Time Machine backup and two CCCs before the Yosemite upgrade - all seems to be fine now except for some minor issues - Dave

OP
U
Reaction score
Okay, they have now released OS X 10.10.1 which has fixed a lot of the issues people were having. I have 10.10.1 on my MB Pro and I use Adobe Production Suite CS6 with no problems. I tested imovie and iphoto and they are working fine also.

Yosemite is free so there will be no issues with software licensing. You do not need email addresses to download but you will need at least one apple id. You can down load Yosemite on your computer using your apple id. Make sure when it is done you copy and paste the install file to a different location if you plan to install it on your computer as after Yosemite installs it deletes the install file.

Then make a usb installer of Yosemite for the other computers. Here is a link that will walk you through how to do that:

Then boot from the usb, do a clean install on the student computers. You can skip setting up apple id and icloud id during the install. You won't need any email addresses especially if you don't set up the apple and icloud id stuff.

I know it can be a bit overwhelming but try it on your own computer then on one student computer and see if it works the way you want.

And if you get really confident, and if the student computers are all the same, you could even try cloning them from the first student computer that is now all set up with all the appropriate software installed (provided you have site licenses for it all, if necessary.)

I hope this helps.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa. You're awesome. This seems very workable. How much memory do I need on my flashdrive? Also, how long should I factor for installation on each computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used an 8GB usb. Yosemite is a 5.17GB download. What is nice is Apple will give you the newest version when you download so it will be 10.10.1.

Also I would recommend no less than 4GB of memory on the laptops. Some on the forum will tell you 8GB is the best and I would not disagree, but I have a 2013 MB Air with 4GB (and Haswell plus a very nice video card which helps) and it runs wonderfully on it.

How long will it take? Not sure because I don't have any hardware specs which makes a difference. Things like age of laptop, type of hard drive - HDD vs. SSD, and amount of memory. Do the first one and you will have the answer. With 40 laptops, I bet you will have a day of it - or two.

If it were me, I would get the first one done, add in the desired software and make as many clones it using Carbon Copy Cloner or some other cloning software on as many usb drives as I could borrow. I believe you said the wireless was an issue on the laptops otherwise I would recommend using the network to clone.

Lisa

Reaction score
Safari and mail not opening from the dock with new Yosemite 10.10.1

I downloaded the OS X Yosemite the other day 10.10.1 and have minor issues with it.
Mostly that my mail won't open when I click on the icon in the dock nor will Safari open when clicked on in the dock.

Agravating to say the least.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. The IT guy seems like he's going to be working on it. Hopefully I won't have to do this myself. If so, I will follow your advice. Even if he takes on the task, it will be helpful for me to have all this knowledge as we're working on it.

OP
U
Reaction score
So I installed Yosemite a while back and there weren't really any issues. Now everything is pretty slow. IT guy told me it's because the laptops run on 2 (something) and Yosemite requires 4 (something). Great!
I'm also having issue with opening Powerpoint documents. It takes forever! He said it may be because programs are running in the background. Is there some setting I can adjust so nothing runs but what I open?

Also, we don't seem to be able to connect to my laptop's server (or whatever you would call it) through our network. I'm talking abut the sharing function in my mac that allows students to be able to upload to my external drive. Hope you guys can help!

C

chas_m

So I installed Yosemite a while back and there weren't really any issues. Now everything is pretty slow. IT guy told me it's because the laptops run on 2 (something) and Yosemite requires 4 (something). Great!

Probaby 2 (and 4) "gigs of RAM" was what he said. Chances are you can upgrade that fairly painlessly, and more RAM (up to the limit of the machine) would be best.

I'm also having issue with opening Powerpoint documents. It takes forever! He said it may be because programs are running in the background. Is there some setting I can adjust so nothing runs but what I open?

Yes. It's called "your brain." Teach "your brain" to QUIT each program when you are done using it, and you will only ever have one program running at a time! Amazing! :)

OP
U
Reaction score
Funny!

No, it's a laptop in the room I usually use and there shouldn't be programs running. Is there something to open that will show me what's running, other than doing a "force quit"?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Funny!

No, it's a laptop in the room I usually use and there shouldn't be programs running. Is there something to open that will show me what's running, other than doing a "force quit"?[/QUOTE

Yes, it's called the "activity monitor application" which you can find in Applications, Utilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bottom line - 2gb is not enough memory for Yosemite. And killing programs running in the background will not fix that - much. Also how full is the hard drive? A too full hard drive means among other things, no swapping area for the memory.

As for why you can not share over your network, check with your IT person. At my work I have to set up a share which requires I put in a domain admin and password to permit that. If the share drive got disconnected your IT will have to fix it.

Lisa

OP
U
Reaction score
Found out from my IT guy that other laptops can't connect to my share because I haven't updated my own laptop from 10.6. And with all the aggravation of 10.10, I don't plan to anytime soon! I am just going to connect my external drive to a classroom laptop that has been updated.

How can I clear up more space in the hard drives?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.