• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

whats going next??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
Macman said:
I'd agree the 56k modem should go, or a faster should be made the standard, besides that, I'm not sure anything else will go out very soon except other small storage media, like zip disks, I'd say everything under 500mb will go.
Personally, I think keeping the modem is a plus. While broadband is widely available these days, there are still places where dial-up is still the only option. When I travel, having access to my e-mail is a must, so I find it comforting to know I have a built-in modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
Benjamindaines said:
The power plug, all we will need to do is shake our computers and the battery will last for 10 hours :p

LOL! :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Richie_Gecko said:
Personally, I think keeping the modem is a plus. While broadband is widely available these days, there are still places where dial-up is still the only option. When I travel, having access to my e-mail is a must, so I find it comforting to know I have a built-in modem.

I agree with you as so many still don't have Broadband nor access to it. When traveling it can be important also if you need to get on the net, but it seems it's slowly dying. Apple took the modem out completely but you can still purchase a USB modem for all new Macs. I hope it does stick around for a while for those that need it still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
One day dsl and cable will be the 56k of the world, where all the people with money and those who keep up with technology will be using t1-t3 ect, as they will be simluarl pricing to dsl and cable when they started being big, and we will all be on these forums talking about the people we know who are unfortunately still on cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
PowerBookG4 said:
One day dsl and cable will be the 56k of the world, where all the people with money and those who keep up with technology will be using t1-t3 ect, as they will be simluarl pricing to dsl and cable when they started being big, and we will all be on these forums talking about the people we know who are unfortunately still on cable.
Eventually it will get to a point where your connection won't need to be faster unless you are a huge corporation that has 10000+ computers on the same connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
PowerBookG4 said:

Edit...my bad LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The modem is already not standard...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:

I don't know anybody who uses one any way... I can see why apple got rid of it, most people who have macs use high speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
PowerBookG4 said:
I don't know anybody who uses one any way... I can see why apple got rid of it, most people who have macs use high speed.
But but but you can't use the fax feature of Mac OS unless you have a modem on at least one Mac on your network.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Benjamindaines said:
But but but you can't use the fax feature of Mac OS unless you have a modem on at least one Mac on your network.

That my friend is something few seem to remember. Very important if you need to FAX someone. I like to have at least something with a modem just in case. I am glad Apple still has that USB modem for those that might need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
Aptmunich said:
That is the one thing I don't like about the MacBook...the lack of a modem. I've never used the modem in my PowerBook, but I still felt better having it. I know the USB modem is an option, but I just don't like having to carry a bunch of peripherals around. Just my slimline case with a powercord, mouse and my laptop. :)

Reaction score
i'll put my chip in for parallel ports.

you NEED 56k modems... just in case.
when our dsl goes down, we need internet to run credit card transactions. i have 'just in case' dial up numbers set up, so i dial up and run the cards through that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kevin_msu said:
i'll put my chip in for parallel ports.

you NEED 56k modems... just in case.
when our dsl goes down, we need internet to run credit card transactions. i have 'just in case' dial up numbers set up, so i dial up and run the cards through that.

I think they are already gone, I don't know a mac that you can buy with them...I don't even know of any pcs that stil lhave them (maybe as an option?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.