What will become of FB Messenger and WhatsApp?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
With the current dispute between Apple and Facebook, not to mention Google the question arises what do will we use for instant messaging.
Of course it's all conjecture at the moment but we already had a response from WhatsApp earlier in the year suggesting they would cut or limit options for users who did not agree with FB's information sharing proposals. That now seems to have lost momentum but I wonder if FB will actually consider charging subscribers which has been bandied about and if so would that include FB Messenger?

I think most members agree that we would not pay for privacy. So, given that I use instant messaging a lot for both text and voice calls and iMessage is limited to Apple device users only, what are the alternatives?

Without doing too much investigation the field seems to be dominated by two contenders; Signal and Telegram

So I downloaded Signal after reading some comparisons and found to my surprise that several of my friends are already using it.
Who knew?
I love to hear others members opinion on the topic. I'm not heavily invested in FB and could leave tomorrow with no real regrets, my wife? Well, I'm not so sure.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As seen by all the metrics, FB's "scare" tactics is blowing up in their face and they're surely realizing that they can't get the permission to track people in lieu of suggesting that the app says free.

This is one of the downsides of these types of services that provide a service for free on the backs of ads and once you have reached a certain number of users you try to monetize the business. This almost always fails.

If these messaging solutions fall out of favor, there will be something else that comes along and takes its place, there is no glut of people waiting off stage to see how the battle over privacy plays out for FB before they make their pitch about how they are better.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This has to be a tough spot for Google to be in since they built their entire business on ads and their model is no different than FB in that regard. But Android plays in a different space, so I imagine they can't take as harsh a stance as Apple for the sake of not being seen as hypocritical.

Either way, just as DuckDuckGo has capitalized on their privacy stance to grow in the world where we always "google everything", means that there's always going to be competition.

IMHO, FB should think hard about their stance since they are not a critical service by any stretch of the imagination.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
With the current dispute between Apple and Facebook, not to mention Google the question arises what do will we use for instant messaging.
I think I'm about ready to go back to using smoke signals! ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Hey Rod:

The world is not coming to an end because Facebook can no longer track you without permission. As far as WhatsApp is concerned, it's still chugging along just fine. You can still use it and of course iMessage to those folks who have iPhones or SMS to Android owners.

Keep in mind that WhatsApp is tied to your phone and number whether it's an iPhone or Android.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This just in from Express VPN. WhatsApp will start making messages to businesses visible to Face Book. Private users can refuse WhatsApp's new privacy policy temporarily but it will result in gradually decreasing service functions, "You won’t be able to make calls or send messages, but you will be able to receive calls and respond to messages through your notifications on your phone. Ultimately, you will lose complete functionality of the app and, after 120 days, your WhatsApp account will be deleted. Here is the article;
Explainer: WhatsApp’s New Privacy Policy | ExpressVPN Blog

I have already started receiving messages like the one below, which I assume are in preparation for the changes.

Attachment0.jpeg

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Old news Rod.

This is all you really need to worry about if you're a WhatsApp user for non business purposes. In other words, private messages:

The update does not affect your personal messages

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only if you agree to the "new" terms. These were the terms proposed by Facebook in earlier this year postponed for three months. But if you don't agree, your account will be terminated in 120 days.
Yes, the privacy issue is only a problem for business' but I use WhatsApp to communicate with a number of individuals who are registered with WhatsApp as business accounts, mainly tradesman, That means they send me accounts and receipts via WhatsApp.
Needless to say I will not be agreeing to the "new" terms.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you use WhatsApp for business purposes and discussions, then by all means quit using it. I realize that many small businesses use WhatsApp especially when communicating with distant clients (overseas, etc) in order to save on the fees; but that's a decision they will have to make.

However, most folks that I know use WhatsApp strictly for personal messages. It's something that I'm not willing to give up. If everyone that I know and communicate with own an iPhone, I could just use iMessage and not worry about WhatsApp.

Facebook is getting much too big and powerful. I don't like to see government intervention into private businesses but with Facebook I believe some control over them is necessary.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree Charlie, in my case for example I have a guy who maintains the garden and lawn at our home address in Australia. His private number is also his business number because he is self employed. I pay him via PayPal and send him proof of payment each month in the form of a PayPal statement. He does not have in iPhone or a Facebook account. This also applies to our electrician in Aus and a Plumber.
My wife uses her number for our Business here in Bali, the list in Bali is even longer than Australia.
Many of these contractors have become friends or already where do you can see my difficulty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Take a look at Signal. It's supposed to be Secure and it's free, AFAIK. I use it now that WhatsApp has gone where it has.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops, couple on typos there but I hope you get the idea.
The point I'm trying to make is that Facebook i saying your messages on WhatsApp can be private IF you agree to our terms and any correspondence that you make to business' is ours to use however we want.
I have another friend who runs a drug and alcohol treatment centre here so it's classified as a business. His communications are obviously confidential so he will be looking at alternatives too.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, thanks Jake, I have installed it and am contacting a few of my business contacts encouraging them to do the same.(y)
PS. There is also a Signal app for macOS (and PC) if you already have it on your mob phone.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes; Signal has attracted a growing number of people. When I installed it about 12-18 months ago, there were only two people in my Contacts with that app. Now there are around 20. That's still a lot fewer than those on WhatsApp (about 35).

There are other options which I've not explored: Telegram and Viber for example.

I make quite a few International calls and, as far as I know, they are all free provided the recipient has the appropriate app as well.

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I was interested to see Viber on the list Ian. I used Viber way back before WhatsApp even existed. I should give that a look too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.